IGNORED

7800 Super Pac-Man - I found the bug!

PacManPlus

hi I noticed with the ntsc version the ghosts just frezze and shake, then they go back to moving around. Don't know much about super pacman, are they suppose to do that or....

Haven't checked out the port yet, but if it's what I'm thinking of, that IS a feature of the arcade game (ghosts stop for a brief moment, their eyes moving like an epileptic fit or some such, then go back to moving). I don't know it's purpose, but it does happen in the arcade version.

edit:awesome as always!I did notice something,but it may just be emulator related.I see the bottom row of pixels changing color on the fruit that is level with Pac-Man as he starts the game.It only occurs when the slot machine is active as fruit inside the boxes rotate rapidly.Again,this just may be emulator related.

Hey Breakpack:

Yes, that is emulator-related. The color change happens on a later scanline on the real thing. :)

Hi Bob

Checked the Pal version with my CC2.Works well,but i found,maybe,a little bug.Sometimes,the ghosts stop moving,for a very little(less than 1 second)moment.Then they move normal again.

greetings Walter

As Chris said, they do stop and 'shake' on the real game (the siren stops as well while this is happening). Don't know if this is what you mean. If not, please let me know when it happens.

Thanks guys! :)

Hi Bob

Checked the real game.Chris is right;no bug......But it was not a problem either.......

greetings Walter

Jr. we want Jr.

Sorry bob, I'm feeling greedy.

Go for the gold...

BABY Pac-man!

Actually, that could be interesting. Think about it, combine a pinball program with pac-man and you could make Baby Pac-Man. I was never any good at the physical machine, but if it were a computerized version of pinball that would be a different story. I'd buy it.

Tempest

Okay, now that I actually had a while to play this with the sound on....

- Wow...still amazed at how faithful the sound is!

- I noticed that there's no score when Super Pac-Man chomps through the gates. I'm pretty sure that in the original, Super Pac-Man gets 100 points for every gate he eats through, although the Atari 5200 has him scoring 200...

- During the second intermission...is MacMESS just being fussy, or is that really supposed to be a large Pac-Man with two small Pac-Men on top and bottom??? I seem to remember the break having a HUGE Pac-Man...

Edited by Dauber

- Wow...still amazed at how faithful the sound is!

Thanks! :)

- I noticed that there's no score when Super Pac-Man chomps through the gates. I'm pretty sure that in the original, Super Pac-Man gets 100 points for every gate he eats through, although the Atari 5200 has him scoring 200...

Holy crap!. I never even noticed that ( apparently nobody else did either :P ), and it's not written anywhere! In the arcade, you get 200 points for breaking through a gate! I will fix that.

- During the second intermission...is MacMESS just being fussy, or is that really supposed to be a large Pac-Man with two small Pac-Men on top and bottom??? I seem to remember the break having a HUGE Pac-Man...

Yes, you do see two small Pac-Man above and below the super. There weren't enough sprites - I needed 9 more (!) to do the Large Super Pac-Man, so I had to compromise. The second and 4th intermissions were modified slightly because of this. (The 4th intermission had 32 monsters chasing a large Pac-Man, so I changed that to 5 monsters chasing 2 small Pac-Men, and on the return trip, instead of 32 Pac-Man chasing 4 large blue monsters, I had 5 small Pac-Men chasing two small Blue Monsters. :(

Thanks for the observation,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

BTW -- I apologize if my post seemed negative; believe me, it wasn't meant to be -- seriously, I've been nothing short of stunned at how much this 7800 game is practically identical to the arcade version! All I know is that had I had this game at home when I was playing Super Pac-Man in the arcades (and had I had a 7800 at the time!), I'd be in heaven...

BTW -- I apologize if my post seemed negative; believe me, it wasn't meant to be -- seriously, I've been nothing short of stunned at how much this 7800 game is practically identical to the arcade version! All I know is that had I had this game at home when I was playing Super Pac-Man in the arcades (and had I had a 7800 at the time!), I'd be in heaven...

Didnt' sound negative at all.

These kinds of posts are what makes this homebrew scene great. We all get to contribute to making a new game the best ti can be because we're all really paying attention to the details.

Something GCC and the other original 7800 coders never did.

and Bob - I apologize if it sounds like I'm encouraging people to dump more work in your lap, but if you're anything like me as I suspect you are, you're not satisfied until it's perfect anyway....

Edited by Underball

Like Underball said, not negative at all :)

I can't believe I missed something like that. :-P I am trying to get it as close as possible, so I appreciate the feedback.

Update will be posted soon.

I noticed in the intermission (And as mentioned on this thread before) where you could not create the “Really Big” Pac-Man, you used the biggest Pac-Man you could achieve plus two normal sized ones above and below when chasing the blue-ghost back.

However, in the one intermission where Pac-Man drops on top of the Ghost Monsters you only use the biggest Pac-Man you could achieve without any additions.

My suggestion(s):

A. [My preferred] Use the biggest Pac-Man you can achieve without any additional regular sized Pac-Man in the first intermission above and below when chasing the blue-ghost monster back.

Or

B. Leave the first intermission as is and use the biggest Pac-Man you can achieve plus one regular sized to the left and to the right in the intermission where Pac-Man drops on the ghost monsters.

Either choice will appear more consistent with respects to how the intermissions are handled. Nonetheless, it’s your masterpiece and of course you decide what if any changes to make to it.

-Trebor

I went with option 'A' :)

First post has latest binary.

Thanks!

Bob

Sorry to bring the intermission up again, but something else I notice. In the Arcade, when Pac-Man is being chased by the ghost he is suppose to be regular sized:

post-18-1225415396_thumb.pngpost-18-1225415399_thumb.png

But in your port, you have him Super sized:

post-18-1225415427_thumb.pngpost-18-1225415431_thumb.png

I know you cannot make Pac-Man BIG Super-Sized going back chasing the blue Ghost, but can you make him regular size when being chased by the ghost like in the Arcade?

Thanks,

Trebor

Edited by Trebor