IGNORED

Hints at the Xbox 360 sequel machine

ComputerSpaceFan

The punks at Microsoft have today hinted craftily about the next iteration of the Xbox. Nice guys, way to continue to gouge your gamer customers.

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=14725

Might as well throw away those 360’s folks, Microsoft will be switching to the new machine all too soon. Like they did with the original XBox. Money grubbing thieves that they are.

but like it points out, this was done kinda with the N64 expansion pack, oh wait, that was Nintendo so it's ok. And the new Wii-mote add on, oh yeah, again, that's Nintendo, so it's ok. And the 3rd DS version, oh crap, I forgot again, Nintendo. So Nintendo is allowed to make a bunch of different versions of it's stuff, but not MS? Who's money grubbing?

A valid point except that Nintendo makes their consoles backwards compatible. And I don't mean downloadable content, I mean you can stick the original game into the new device and it will work.

Microsoft instead drops all support for last year's model forcing gamers to buy the new version, much like their operating systems (although at least with those Microsoft is kind enough to support the last two generations before putting them out to pasture).

Sony is odd in that it does a little of both. Certain PS3's will play PS2 games but not all of them. What's up with that?

A valid point except that Nintendo makes their consoles backwards compatible.

I'm a bit befuddled by that comment. Other than the Wii, there aren't any natively backward compatible Nintendo consoles (not talking about handhelds here.) What are the other ones I'm forgetting?

Point taken, I was considering handhelds when I said that.

Might as well throw away those 360’s folks, Microsoft will be switching to the new machine all too soon. Like they did with the original XBox. Money grubbing thieves that they are.

Sounds to me like an upgraded 360 is all they are talking about. Why would you throw away your 360 and rebuy a 360 again if you were perfectly happy with your original 360? Cleaner graphics? Slightly faster processing?

Doesn't sound like something that's worth it.

Oh wait, yeah I forgot that's what everyone did when they bought the Wii.

Maybe the Xbox Evolved will come with a funky controller so it will be ok to rebuy your 360.

Here's an idea ComputerSpaceFan, how about if your not interested in slight upgrades, just ignore and wait for the Xbox 720.

The 360 will be 3 years old next month. Did you expect it to last forever? I predict the next Xbox will arrive in time for Christmas 2010. That will give this iteration a 5+ year lifespan. Which is just about right these days.

and the rumor the next Wii will be in 2011 so that seems extremely plausible. I don't understand the argument of the thread, this is pretty much just life span issues, plus the fact that apparently the games would still be able to be played on a regular 360, so whats the big deal if this is true?

I'm a bit befuddled by that comment. Other than the Wii, there aren't any natively backward compatible Nintendo consoles (not talking about handhelds here.) What are the other ones I'm forgetting?

You mean the DSi is backward compatible?

Sorry folks, I didn't mean to start a flame war with this post. You all bring up valid points in defence of Microsoft.

Call me old fashioned (ironic given this is an Atari forum) but I'm not thrilled when a company changes their hardware and promptly dumps all support for their previous model.

And just for the record I am no Nintendo fanboy, I wear my Fuji logo with pride. However, I do applaud Nintendo for at least providing backwards compatibility.

Can I ask how any of you felt back in the day when the 5200 came along and Atari bluntly let you know your entire collection of 2600 cartridges were now useless on the new machine?

Just curious. Not trying to fan the flames or anything. I figure it's a valid question and could make for interesting debate.

Can I ask how any of you felt back in the day when the 5200 came along and Atari bluntly let you know your entire collection of 2600 cartridges were now useless on the new machine?

According to Atari, my Atari 2600 was supposed to be like a record player that I could keep using for the rest of my life:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...you-always.html

Well, record players and the Atari 2600 went away long before I died, so that was a kick in the bubbles. I think record players died before the Atari 2600 and the Atari 2600 outlasted the 5200, so there's a bit of good news for Atari 2600 lovers.

It would be nice to have eternal backwards compatibility, but my CD player can't play records, so I guess you have to move on eventually. Another bit of good news is that someone might remake your favorite console, such as the Atari 2600, and you can buy that and forget about the more advanced stuff that will melt, explode, or burn your house down the first week you own it.

Sorry folks, I didn't mean to start a flame war with this post. You all bring up valid points in defence of Microsoft.

Call me old fashioned (ironic given this is an Atari forum) but I'm not thrilled when a company changes their hardware and promptly dumps all support for their previous model.

And just for the record I am no Nintendo fanboy, I wear my Fuji logo with pride. However, I do applaud Nintendo for at least providing backwards compatibility.

Just curious. Not trying to fan the flames or anything. I figure it's a valid question and could make for interesting debate.

I don't understand how backward compatibility could be such a huge issue? Maybe it's just me, but up until the PS2, how many back compatible systems were there? The 7800 the only one?? No sega system had it, no nintendo system had it up until the Wii, Atari had one system with it, and Sony PS2 had it. I'm sorry if I think there's more to your post than just bashing something because of backwards compatibility.

It's not like Microsoft is the first company to release updated hardware to it's current hardware. It's just not as easy, but what the difference between this and Sega having the 32x? It's still a genesis with an add on, but oh. It's not Microsoft so it's ok then?

Edited by Atari5200

The examples in that article are totally moronic.

Examples of the sort of changes that may be seen are given in the Nintendo 64's Expansion Pak, and how it enabled better graphics and more options in Perfect Dark

N64 Expansion Pak was just that, an EXPANSION, not another entire console. ALL N64's could take advantage of it. There was no N64 and N64+ variants that screwed over the people who bought the first one. Seriously, could you imagine the N64 without an expansion pak port, then them releasing Majora's Mask for the N64 along with the new N64+ required to play it.

or the PC game Crysis, and moving from a mid-range setup to an updated video card.

Again, buying a video card to upgrade you computer is the same as buying a new computer how?

Imagine playing Gears of War 3 on your Xbox 360 it looks and plays good right? Well imagine that the year after it comes out you go out to buy the next Xbox and it looks even better, it plays even better. Features in the new controller are utilized with the game, the graphics do not only look sharper, but the draw distance is better, the speed is better, framerate, and there are even new features, perhaps even levels via DLC

Introducing these options early on to developers means that the games they make for the Xbox 360 will have no life on the next platform

It seems to be a new take on backwards compatability. Instead of making the new console backwards compatable with current generation games, they are trying to pre make current generation games compatable with the new console in a way to take advantage of the new consoles features yet still be compatable with existing hardware. post-2829-1224267145.gifpost-2829-1224269228.gif

As a 360 user, when you buy one of these new 360 games, you paying for something you can't use or take advantage of. Reverse perspective: As a 720 user, buying one of these 360 games, you're getting a different game then they did. You both bought the same damned thing. It's supposed to be a 360 game right, so how is that fair to 360 owners. Oh, right, it's not. It's a marketing ploy to lure people into buying the 720 by selling the 360 people 720 content. :x (And how much you wana bet they will be putting the 720 enhanced version screenshots on the back of that 360 box?)

Wouldn't this hurt the sale of the new games made specificly for the new console? Why buy 720 games when the 360 games are made to be 720 enhanced. :ponder:

Won't this hurt 360 development. I mean, why code in all these 720 enhancements into a 360 game that the 360 audience will never beable to use anyways. Might as well just make it a 720 version to begin with. :ponder:

No, what MS is proposing here is quite stupid, and a big f--k you to all us 360 owners.

I'm not against MS developing a new console. That's fine. The issue is a new console has nothing to do with the current generation, so leave the current generation alone.

As an owner of the all three current game consoles and most major consoles ever released, Microsoft doing this does not surprise me. They have stated before that the 360 is on a five year cycle. About this time is when they should be finalizing hardware for a sequel to the 360. I share what others fear...fan abandonment. The original xbox was dropped like a bad habit. When the 720 comes out, I share with others that MS might just stop production on the 360, which has had alot of issues. All three systems have issues with things, and I feel that a five year cycle is not a way to get new customers to embrace your systems. I am fine with the 720 being released in two years, as long as they still support and have new games for the 360.

On a side note, the whole 5 year cycle needs to go. If anything Sony did right(I know that they have messed up with things as of late) their longivity of their systems and total Backwards Compatibility with the PS2, PS1 is awsome. While in the past BC was not a big issue, I think that many consumers will now demand it in this day and age of console wars. As a huge fan of retro-gaming, I find that BC is very important

While in the past BC was not a big issue, I think that many consumers will now demand it in this day and age of console wars. As a huge fan of retro-gaming, I find that BC is very important

Are you one of those people that lives in a shoebox and can't own more then one console at a time? :lolblue:

Again the issue in this particular case isn't the 5 year cycle life, 360 support or backwards compatabilty. It's this bull MS calls Future compatability. Before the 720 even comes out, there will be no more 360 games persay. They are effectively going to be 720 games with reduced functionality 360 compatability. Odd way to support the 360 crowd. :|

oh no. throw your Wii's away..

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133331

:) :)

Its still rumors and frankly, I think both systems would have more life in them to last longer than 2010. Though it would make more sense for Nintendo. by 2010 there should be a lot more people with HD Tv's, people might be screaming for a hard drive, by 2010, maybe Nintendo will have a comparable machine in the market.

Edited by Atari5200

I've always liked Sonys stuff, in general. But I really have no desire for the PS3. My PS2 sits dormant, as it really has since I've owned it. I've had mine since a few months after launch and I only have 8 titles for it, it never got played. My PSP I absolutely love, but I tend to play portables more than consoles as for my situation it's just easier. When Barney the big purple dino is on tv, i'm on my psp. The 360 really has been the first system since the SNES to give me that WOW factor, i'm sure the PS3 is the same way for people that just have the 360. The Wii has absolutely no wow factor. I'm not saying it's not fun, you can see my reviews. The games I've had I really like, but the system itself is what does it for me, especially when I have a 360 and a Wii, it's a no brainer. They are truly for 2 totally different types of gamers.

I might be interested in a new Wii depending on the games. #1. I don't want rehashes. #2 I don't want cute and cuddely, #3. I'm burned out on the same old Nintendo franchises. #4. I want waay better online service. #5 I want games like Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Oblivion, Dead Space, Socom, GTA, Bioshock, Mass Effect, not saying these games exactly, but games like them. And honestly, what would make me believe the software side would change. Xbox 720 and PS4 is probably still going to be the way to go for these types of games.

I think Nintendo may have the hardest time following up. Catering to the non-gamer crowd, they really need to give consumers a reason to stop with the Wii and move on, if the games are the same old same old, they may be less reluctant to do so as graphical and technical enhancements probably aren't going to matter as much to casual gamers.

I might be interested in a new Wii depending on the games. #1. I don't want rehashes. #2 I don't want cute and cuddely, #3. I'm burned out on the same old Nintendo franchises. #4. I want waay better online service. #5 I want games like Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Oblivion, Dead Space, Socom, GTA, Bioshock, Mass Effect, not saying these games exactly, but games like them. And honestly, what would make me believe the software side would change. Xbox 720 and PS4 is probably still going to be the way to go for these types of games.

I'm confused by this. You're basically saying, "I'd buy a Wii if Nintendo changes their target audience completely" - Since there are already TWO consoles that are providing the type of gameplay you're looking for, why are you hoping that Nintendo will follow suit? Are you really jonesing to play Gears of War by waving your arm around?

You might get #1, #2, and #4, but asking for #3 and #5 is kind of like saying you want a Hummer, but you want it to be small, sporty, and have excellent gas mileage. If this is the case, I don't think you really want a Hummer

So I think that the same can be said here - I don't think you really want the new Wii. People like the Wii for what it is - and the same can be said for the PS3 and Xbox360. Buy what you like, don't buy something you wish you could like and then pray for it to change to meet your taste in gaming.

I'm confused by this. You're basically saying, "I'd buy a Wii if Nintendo changes their target audience completely" - Since there are already TWO consoles that are providing the type of gameplay you're looking for, why are you hoping that Nintendo will follow suit? Are you really jonesing to play Gears of War by waving your arm around?

You might get #1, #2, and #4, but asking for #3 and #5 is kind of like saying you want a Hummer, but you want it to be small, sporty, and have excellent gas mileage. If this is the case, I don't think you really want a Hummer

So I think that the same can be said here - I don't think you really want the new Wii. People like the Wii for what it is - and the same can be said for the PS3 and Xbox360. Buy what you like, don't buy something you wish you could like and then pray for it to change to meet your taste in gaming.

:cool: :thumbsup: post-2829-1224798119.gif

You mean the DSi is backward compatible?

Yes it will be. But DSi software will not be region free like the Ds software is.