IGNORED

What a crock of *bleep* < Censored

moycon

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/religi...grecall/1257227

but it hasn't proven popular with one Muslim group, which issued a complaint to the game's publisher Sony concerning one background music track. Performed by award-winning Malian musician Toumani Diabate, the song quotes two verses from the Qur'an.

Wah.

If they find it offensive....here's an idea. Don't play the game!

I don't understand why people give in to ridiculousness like this.

You're going to hold up and censor a game because some scrubby religious lovers don't like a song!!?? A song!!???

Show some balls, release the game, let them bitch for a few days until they find some holy symbol in a slice of apple and forget about it. Like there aint enough legitimate shitty goings on in this world.... people are offended by a song in a videogame, take a stand to do something about it AND get their way. Imagine if they focused their attention of something important.

Edited by moycon

But why did the dumbass put two verses from the Qur'an in it? Aren't people who read the Qur'an the type of nutwads who will cut off your head if you offend them in any way? And who wants singing in a game? Who would want to hear verses from the Qur'an in a song? The whole thing sounds stupid. Just give us good old instrumental background music and you won't get into any trouble.

But why did the dumbass put two verses from the Qur'an in it? Aren't people who read the Qur'an the type of nutwads who will cut off your head if you offend them in any way? And who wants singing in a game? Who would want to hear verses from the Qur'an in a song? The whole thing sounds stupid. Just give us good old instrumental background music and you won't get into any trouble.

I'm sure it's just background music. You know, like chanting added for ambience. Think Tomb Raider or Diablo 2. If you heard it, You would just know you were somewhere exotic.you wouldn't know what the f* they were saying....or care.

Not that it matters, you wont get to hear it, because some people find it offensive.

So that's how it works? So what if I find them offensive? So does that mean I should be allowed to get rid of them? Strike them from the record? Wipe them out because I don't like them? Is that how it works when you don't like something? It's BS. I don't give a crap what they believe. If they don't like the game...for whatever reason. They dont have to play it.

I'm sure it's just background music. You know, like chanting added for ambiance. Think Tomb Raider or Diablo 2. If you heard it, You would just know you were somewhere exotic. You wouldn't know what the f* they were saying....or care.

Oh, I get it. That makes sense. Thanks.

my first reaction is that it's a lousy publicity stunt. but for this post, I make the assumption that it's not.

the artist in question, Toumani Diabate, is muslim so it's safe to assume that the 'many' offended muslims mentioned in the story aren't actually 'most' muslims. Afterall, one wouldn't expect Pat Boone to feature lyrics that offend anything close to the majority of christians--no matter how many metallica songs he covers.

of course we can still hear this song. It's called Tapha Niang and you can hear it on Toumani Diabaté's myspace page. (here)

it will take some time to pull up the page... It's not a great song.

of course the *big* news is that there's now a new collector's version of little big planet! We have to figure out what looks different on the packaging so when somebody finds a warehouse full of these half a decade from now, he can gouge us accordingly.

Edited by Reaperman

my first reaction is that it's a lousy publicity stunt.

I'll admit, so was mine.... but I'm not sure that makes sense. LBP is one of the hottest anticipated games on the PS3. I just can't imagine they'd need more publicity, but maybe you're right.

I hope you're right.

Maybe the pre-orders were lacking or something.

my first reaction is that it's a lousy publicity stunt.

I'll admit, so was mine.... but I'm not sure that makes sense. LBP is one of the hottest anticipated games on the PS3. I just can't imagine they'd need more publicity, but maybe you're right.

I hope you're right.

Maybe the pre-orders were lacking or something.

honestly I can go either way.

if it's a publicity stunt I just figured whatever record lable owns that artist wanted to stir something up and figured it was his only shot to get famous.

Of course it is entirely logical that some group of muslim nutballs out there wants to outlaw dancing on my street and everything else too.

I used the pat boone example for the reason that a small but vocal group of nutballs were once a bit upset with him. Doesn't mean that outside of a hundred or so folks in the world that anybody else gave a crap. I'm also going to guess that everybody doing the complaining here never had any intention of buying this, or any, ps3 title. they're probably just following the artist around and complaining about everything he does.

Edited by Reaperman

if people were more informed by the main stream media, maybe people wouldn't be surprised by this. Just do a little research, maybe try fox news. If you knew the shit that was halted, or how "tolerant" this Country, and I really feel bad for England, are trying to be, it would probably make you sick.

Just a few examples

foot washing stations in Minnesota airports

taxi drivers refusing to take people who have purchased alcohol.

cashiers refusing to check out people purchasing alcohol.

Try to be any other religion and get special treatment, you'll be laughed up, but it's different when your Muslim, and it's not like it's all of them, it really is a small minority, but like Liberalism, small minority, large voice.

It's a total cultural take over and 99% of the people in the US don't see it coming. England is really starting to feel it, we're not that bad yet.

oh I've heard quite a bit of it. the thing is that I feel the world's largest religion has some reformation to do before there's quite a backlash in the western world.

actually some of the things we hear about britain--especially that sharia law business--are really scary.

of course since I'd probably be publically executed or at least castrated in a typical muslim nation I may take a slightly stronger stand against those horrible "people"... If they don't reform their belief system so that their most extreme belief/believers lose all credibility, I doubt I'll ever change my opinion that they should have the exact same treatment they'd probably have in store for me.

Edited by Reaperman

I don't understand why it was in there in the first place? Who thought putting a song with religious messages in the background (be they Muslim or other) into a family style puzzle/strategy game was a good idea to begin with? A fighting game? Maybe. But LBP? WTF?

Didn't this happen with some Xbox fighting game a few years ago? Someting with a hard to pronounce name (started with a K I think). you'd think they would have learned their lesson...

Tempest

I'd think the 'damned if you do' half is more the voice of common sense comming from a very large religion that's often measured by the standards of their most extreme members.

I can only imagine what anybody thinks of american christianity, for example, if they tried to measure it by the beliefs of the snake handlers or david koresh. Here it's common knowledge that they're a bit far from center, but I wonder how that translates over the newswire.

I'm not excusing the Muslim faith as a whole, just putting out an explaination for them. Afterall, America was pretty quick to make sure that David Koresh's voice wasn't law on even a tiny chunk of land, and I see that as an immediate difference between the faiths--or at least the societies that have formed around them.

Edited by Reaperman

Afterall, America was pretty quick to make sure that David Koresh's voice wasn't law on even a tiny chunk of land, and I see that as an immediate difference between the faiths--or at least the societies that have formed around them.

Yeah, and as far as I know, he wasn't even running around chopping people's heads off.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't..............

I have a slightly different take on that statement. Damned if you do...then DROP EVERY NUKE WE HAVE ON THE MIDDLE EAST AND WIPE IT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH! Then build the world's biggest mall on the ruins.

I like mine better. Seriously, this world would be better without Islam in it. Some damn clerk better never refuse to check me out when I'm buying beer, that's all I gotta say.

Shut up you tard.

I'm all against religious fundamentalism. But not everyone living in the middle east is one. And, for that matter, there are a hell of a lot of Christian religious fundamentalists in the US. Fancy armageddon too?

Edited by liveinabin

Shut up you tard.

I'm all against religious fundamentalism. But not everyone living in the middle east is one. And, for that matter, there are a hell of a lot of Christian religious fundamentalists in the US. Fancy armageddon too?

There you go again being smart and reasonable! Don't you know this is a messageboard? We don't stand for that around these parts!

:D ;)

FWIW, I do remember hearing that LBP needed a fair amount of tweaking before it could rightfully be called the mega title that it was supposed to be. The demo left a lot of people with that "good-but-not-great" feeling. Perhaps that contributed?

As to the issue at hand, I'm now at the point where I just don't care if I offend anyone anymore. Fuck 'em. There's no way I'm changing anything about me because it rubs someone else the wrong way. I might be just one person, but if more people stood their ground against crap like this, you'd see some real honest-to-goodness TOLERANCE start overnight. And I mean real tolerance, the kind where you actually agree to live and let live, rather than the fake kind where everybody has to blindly adhere to an ideology so they can brand everyone else as "intolerant".

Shut up you tard.

While I don't favor nuking the hell out of anybody, I do find it quite amazing how Europeans always look down upon the United States because we have so many religious fanatics. Yet they seem to ignore the fact they have a few religious fanatics of their own. Could it be because their fanatics aren't afraid of using threats or violence?

I have absolutely nothing against the good people of the US. Simply trying to make him see that what he fears/hates isn't all in some far off country that can be conveniently wiped out. And anyone who would advocate such action against millions of innocent people IS beneath contempt.

Damn pity about LBP though. I really want to play it before it turns into some kind of platforming Facebook.

Edited by liveinabin

Afterall, America was pretty quick to make sure that David Koresh's voice wasn't law on even a tiny chunk of land, and I see that as an immediate difference between the faiths--or at least the societies that have formed around them.

Yeah, and as far as I know, he wasn't even running around chopping people's heads off.

Nah. They just stockpiled on large caliber and semi-automatic weapons, and planning mass suicide.

Nothing terrible or anything.

Edited by Underball