IGNORED

Dead Space

remowilliams

So I picked up Dead Space - and it is amazing. It’s graphically beautiful, compelling, frightening and atmospheric. Some of the environment set pieces are just stunning, and the cold voids of vacuum and zero gravity environments are very well represented. The game mechanics and human interface are incredibly well done. The attention to detail and the approach to technology and in game use is fantastic.

It treads well on the hallowed ground of System Shock in many regards. And that is a supreme compliment. :)

That's all you need to say, I will be picking this one up. :D

Dead Space is very well done - I wouldn't throw a System Shock reference around lightly. ;) It has several elements that remind one of SS2 in regards to weapon/item upgrades (though not as deep), and the spooky environments. Though SS2 with its ghosts was world class freakiness. DS is squarely in the scifi survival horror arena.

It's not without its flaws (CQB can be problematic at times), but I find it a thoughtful and very well designed game in nearly every aspect and lots of good scary fun. An extremely pleasant surprise as I knew almost nothing about DS going in. For the best experience, play DS in a dark room at night with the sound cranked up on a good multichannel speaker system. :cool:

When I first hit a zero G environment, a few lines from First Contact came directly to mind:

Jean-Luc Picard: Mr. Worf, do you remember your zero-G combat training?

Worf: I remember it made me sick to my stomach.

:D

It's not without its flaws

Yeah, as I said in the other thread.

Camera and perspective sucks, royally. It's not adjustable, your character is stuck to the left side of the screen, perspective is always from behind to the right of your character. Forget about knowing if more then one thing is attacking you close-up, all you know about is what is in front of you that the computer decided would be the best thing to focus on. And, can't jump (except in zero-g, and even then it's still limited to specific surfaces.

It's a good game and was "almost" perfect. It's fustratingly not perfect however. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...