IGNORED

Rarer Orange Breakout for .99 currently

Phantom

Orange background Breakout labels have only been reported on NTSC cartridges. Bright blue Defender labels have only been reported on PAL cartridges. Being willing to purchase both NTSC and PAL cartridges increases the enjoyment of label variation collecting. Although I cannot play PAL cartridges on my television, in most cases I have NTSC versions of the PAL label variations in my collection.

And it goes for all of .99 cents and $2.50 shipping. This is good proof that label variations like this are extremely undervalued.

They're not undervalued. Most people don't care about these variations. And most are not rare to begin with.

No, I am not saying it should go for 20 dollars but .99 cents plus 2.50 is undervalued. I was expecting this to go for $6.00 plus $2.50 shipping. The cart in my opinion has better asthetic appeal than a regular Breakout cart, and seems to be about 20 times as rare. Don't believe me do a search on Ebay and see how many Breakout carts you get. Than see how many of those are orange.

Edit: did a check of Breakout and of the 54 pictures of breakout carts I saw not one was an orange breakout cart. In my book the Orange Breakout is about a rarity 5.

Edited by homerwannabee

The Orange Breakout should be a higher value. I've seen 3 I think on ebay in the past 7 or 8 months. I missed out on them. I lucked out with a trade here. It has writing on the label, but I'll take care of that. Either way, they are tough to find. Not a $20 cart per say. But tough enough to a label collector that they would pay around $10 for such a major difference of labels.

Had it been just a different font of text... then obviously I would say no way. But this is kind of like having a new cart. To me it is the same as owning the pacman Atari picture, and the Pacman Atari Sears Picture. Yes, it may not raise a lot of eyebrows, it is however, a very different label. Not something just small and minor. Some people pay attention to these differences more than others.

Pacman is a very common title. As is Breakout.

Superman is somewhat a common game... yet that variant (Sears Pic) is worth a bunch. I guess it is how you look at it.

Blue label Defender: I thought there was a NTSC version of this.

I'm with EricDeLee --

When I first got into variant collecting, I really wanted an orange label Breakout and would have gladly paid $10-$15 for one.

The Giant Label Variation list says there are four different variants. Once I scored one, however, I figured there was no reason to spend more than $10 for any of the others, as the variations are slight. As of now, I have two different ones, so I'm probably only willing to pay $5-$8 for the others. The one in that auction I already have but would pay $1-$2 for if I saw it in a bargain bin -- the label could be nicer than my copy or it would be nice for trading purposes -- but it's not worth the hassle and s&h to pick up via eBay.

Same cart, one guy, four different value ranges.

The only value that matters is what it's worth to you and your enjoyment of the hobby at any given moment.

And the fact is, if every cart put to auction was forced to have a starting bid of 99 cents, many still wouldn't sell and the majority that did would go for the opening bid. There's nothing inherently valuable about Atari carts, after all -- the only value they have is imposed by buyers and sellers, especially if you're talking about something as esoteric as a label variation.

I know everybody knows all of this already, but I'm cranky this morning and the endless quibbling over value on these boards grows kinda tiresome after a while.

And it goes for all of .99 cents and $2.50 shipping. This is good proof that label variations like this are extremely undervalued.

They're not undervalued. Most people don't care about these variations. And most are not rare to begin with.

Don't believe me do a search on Ebay and see how many Breakout carts you get. Than see how many of those are orange.

I did do a search. When I was compiling the list of Atari, Corp. variations I spent months tracking these carts on ebay. They turn up constantly, but most of them are to be found in larger lots where they are easily missed. Some, like Warlords, Maze Craze, and Missile Command, are nearly impossible to spot in typical auction photos because they are nearly identical to their Atari, Inc. counterparts and that contributes greatly to the perception that they are rarer than they really are. IMO, the only legitimate rarities among the known NTSC Atari, Corp. labels are Black Jack and, possibly, Hangman.

Edit: did a check of Breakout and of the 54 pictures of breakout carts I saw not one was an orange breakout cart. In my book the Orange Breakout is about a rarity 5.
I don't have time to go searching for a bunch of these right now, but here, at least, is a current auction with an orange Breakout in it.

I think your rarity assessment of 5 is about right though. However, that doesn't mean that this variant is worth more than a couple of bucks. Don't let certain resellers who set crack-pipe BIN's and unpack their adjectives when listing these variants convince you otherwise.

The Orange Breakout should be a higher value. I've seen 3 I think on ebay in the past 7 or 8 months. I missed out on them. I lucked out with a trade here. It has writing on the label, but I'll take care of that. Either way, they are tough to find. Not a $20 cart per say. But tough enough to a label collector that they would pay around $10 for such a major difference of labels.
Like I said, most of these variants show up in larger lots, where they can be difficult to spot, and that makes them seem much rarer than they really are. I've seen plenty of orange Breakouts on ebay over the years. There are actually three separate variations of the label. Rarity 5 is about right. I wouldn't pay more than $4 for a copy of this one. Edited by Christophero Sly

The Flag Capture picture label is very scarce, but it is not an Atari corp re-release label. It is a 1978 Atari Inc label.

I thought the only one was the Atari, Corp one -- that's what the pic in the database is.

EDIT: Aha... Atarimania has a pic of the '78 one. I never realized that one existed!

Edited by pinball22

I paid $7 for mine originally and I really like the Orange one.

I think its worth between $6-10. I dont regret paying $7 for mine and I just thought someone else may like this variant and it was quite reasonable from a decent seller.

No biggie, you either like variants or could care less. .99 was a very good deal IMO.

Edited by Phantom

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one (with instructions) in a cheap lot that ended without a bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220310212212

Here's a lot from earlier this month with a copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120324475827

And, of course, there are copies in currently active auctions.

Again, IMO, like the majority of Atari, Corp. variants, this one is R4-R5ish, and not worth more than $4.

The Flag Capture picture label is very scarce, but it is not an Atari corp re-release label. It is a 1978 Atari Inc label.

I thought the only one was the Atari, Corp one -- that's what the pic in the database is.

EDIT: Aha... Atarimania has a pic of the '78 one. I never realized that one existed!

Wow, how did I overlook this one? I never realized it existed either. :-o

• 2 months later...