1. 1. Do we need another BBS?

• yes!
    • nooooooooo!
    • well, It'd be nice...
    • well, T'd be a bit of a hassle...
    • BBS?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to rescue the data off the Starship BBS hard drive right now, and does not look good.

The spindle froze, and the platters look...well... oxidized. I fear the worst. I may have to try another avenue.

I might be easier to start new all over with Carden's software. But I wanted the original screens from all three BBS's.... sadly It may not be...

I found some disks that were Hardback'd at the time but they were just discommed games and such.

I did find 2 menu screens!

Always happy to add another BBS to the BBS list BTW.

Magic Jack is $29. and it works with modems set at the original 1985 year baud rates lol. If you try to go fast it'll make a mess. so the experience would be 'authentic'. yes dialtone ringing but no phone bill and incredibly slow. Just like when I go my first 300 baud modem! download and take a nap!

I think I will try to provide a phone line as well as telnet and internet path. should be interesting.

You might want to clarify what type of BBS you are talking about... If dialup across real phone lines, I probably would not call due to $$. However since internet (telnet) bbs's are free access, I would call them.

if you want to split hair over protocols then why not skip all that at go back to using bang paths?

!rutgers!edu!me!terminal!two!four!five!

oh brother.... let's see... telephone (but wait many telco's are voiping you without knowledge so pots become internet too!) hmmm vonage and magic jack are voip (already internet). and very few phone carriers don't digitize it all to a fiber backbone.... so... yes telco/ voip internet tcp/ip yes telnet which can get around a few things and what the old bang paths now too? btw any of the old timers can tell you they still work.

The idea is to give as many avenues as possible to connect. so why not? it's all semantics.

I mean you want to look what you said (quote below) telnet... protocol... not limited to the internet...

so you know it is different but object anyway...

I think I will try to provide a phone line as well as telnet and internet path. should be interesting.

What's the difference between a telnet and internet path? Aren't they both the same? Isn't telnet just a protocol that you use over the Internet, although not limited to the Internet?

Edited by _The Doctor__

What's the difference between a telnet and internet path? Aren't they both the same? Isn't telnet just a protocol that you use over the Internet, although not limited to the Internet?

Yes.

if you want to split hair over protocols then why not skip all that at go back to using bang paths?

!rutgers!edu!me!terminal!two!four!five!

oh brother.... let's see... telephone (but wait many telco's are voiping you without knowledge so pots become internet too!) hmmm vonage and magic jack are voip (already internet). and very few phone carriers don't digitize it all to a fiber backbone.... so... yes telco/ voip internet tcp/ip yes telnet which can get around a few things and what the old bang paths now too? btw any of the old timers can tell you they still work.

The idea is to give as many avenues as possible to connect. so why not? it's all semantics.

I mean you want to look what you said (quote below) telnet... protocol... not limited to the internet...

so you know it is different but object anyway...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Not a clue.

telnet is a protocol that typically operates on port 23.

Internet is the name of the global network of networks. i.e., It's a network of INTER-networked NETworks. The Internet is not a protocol. The Internet isn't really anything; it's more of a concept than anything else.

The telnet protocol can be used over the Internet, but you don't have to be on the Internet to use telnet.

Yes.

I was thinking of putting an Atari emulator on port 23 so that people could telnet into an Atari emulator. It shouldn't be too difficult to do. Just create a guest account in Linux and set atari800.curses as the shell. So anyone that telneted in would get a 'READY' prompt and be stuck in the Atari BASIC interpreter. Telnet to a server on the other side of the world just for the privilege of being able to enter and run Atari BASIC code. lol. Maybe even login and boot SpartaDOS or some such. You should be able to run any Atari program that doesn't use graphics over telnet. lol. I think it would be funny.

Must be before your time, It has many flavors and at one time the telecommunications network (telnet) was just that... yep used the phone spoke to different individual networks, and that network might phone another etc. It was a protocol that let different terminals talk to another computer or time shared machine or even a small network. This evolved and many parts of the protocol were pieced off for the INTERNET and most of the protocol is what is now know as Telnet used on port 23 but the heart is still in it an beating to do it's magic without the INTERNET at all. You do not have to use the INTERNET at all to use telnet. Since I have friends who use satellite, packet radios, and transceivers I thought It might be interesting or even possible to give them that path. Many BBS's used bang paths (uucp) and telnet to get the messages moved, while avoiding phone charges, hopping from local board to local board. I was trying to keep it simple, and the info on this is not just the popular wiki answer. You might have to read a book to see what was done. It really was not all that long ago yet it seems like ancient knowledge. In short NO they are not the same and one does not require the other.

The INTERNET is a real thing. The Internet is a worldwide communications network originally developed by the US Department of Defense as a distributed system with no single point of failure. You can physically touch the parts that it is made of. This is not a concept or other such mumbo jumbo it is reality.

Just for giggles maybe I will see if a packet radio can be hooked to it as well... kantronics made an atari compatible interface. Glad you jogged my memory a little or I would not have thought of that!

Edited by _The Doctor__

The INTERNET is a real thing. The Internet is a worldwide communications network originally developed by the US Department of Defense as a distributed system with no single point of failure. You can physically touch the parts that it is made of. This is not a concept or other such mumbo jumbo it is reality.

Not really. The Internet is a bunch of networks connected together. Where one network ends, another network begins. Each network is independent of the others. No one network comprises the Internet. The Internet is not dependent on any single network. The Internet is as much a real THING, as travel is. There are real THINGS that make travel possible, but travel in and of itself is not a THING.

Not really. The Internet is a bunch of networks connected together. Where one network ends, another network begins. Each network is independent of the others. No one network comprises the Internet. The Internet is not dependent on any single network.
Now we are sort of getting it.

The Internet is as much a real THING, as travel is. There are real THINGS that make travel possible, but travel in and of itself is not a THING.
Maybe not..... sigh.

Talk about redundant. Here goes.....

A network of networks is still a network.

May this analogy offer you some help....

People often ask if a square is also a rectangle. The quick answer is "YES". However, this answer makes sense if you just think about the properties of these two shapes.

A rectangle is a parallelogram whose sides intersect at 90° angles. Now, since a rectangle is a parallelogram, its opposite sides must be congruent.

A square is also a parallelogram whose sides intersect at 90° angles. Therefore, like a rectangle its opposite sides are congruent. However, a square has an added feature. It is also a rhombus. Therefore, all of its sides are congruent.

A rectangle is a square when both pairs of opposite sides are the same length. This means that a square is a specialized case of the rectangle and is indeed a rectangle.

The square also has special properties, the difference is that a square is also a rhombus so the square has all the properties of a rhombus while a rectangle does not.

Tractor Trailer Trucks have commonly have 18 or more rims/wheels they are part of the truck. Should any of the wheels blow out from the rear of the tractor to the back of the trailer, the truck can in most cases continue on. Then stop and get the tire repaired. No one said the tire was the truck! The tire bears some of the weight. The tire is a part in motion traveling down the highway as part of the truck.

Fact is the INTERNET is a thing, Travel is an action. So give up the ghost and have fun netting.

A little bit offtopic:

Long time ago Nosty has bought many TAIG (Twin Cities Atari Interest Group, USA) discs on Ebay. If someone would like to put it back into BBS archiv can download it here.

cool,

If anyone has the ABE's Ace's and L V A U G disks librarys and the BBS's it would be awesome to see them as well.

/s

Talk about redundant. Here goes.....

A network of networks is still a network.

May this analogy offer you some help....

People often ask if a square is also a rectangle. The quick answer is "YES". However, this answer makes sense if you just think about the properties of these two shapes.

A rectangle is a parallelogram whose sides intersect at 90° angles. Now, since a rectangle is a parallelogram, its opposite sides must be congruent.

A square is also a parallelogram whose sides intersect at 90° angles. Therefore, like a rectangle its opposite sides are congruent. However, a square has an added feature. It is also a rhombus. Therefore, all of its sides are congruent.

A rectangle is a square when both pairs of opposite sides are the same length. This means that a square is a specialized case of the rectangle and is indeed a rectangle.

The square also has special properties, the difference is that a square is also a rhombus so the square has all the properties of a rhombus while a rectangle does not.

Tractor Trailer Trucks have commonly have 18 or more rims/wheels they are part of the truck. Should any of the wheels blow out from the rear of the tractor to the back of the trailer, the truck can in most cases continue on. Then stop and get the tire repaired. No one said the tire was the truck! The tire bears some of the weight. The tire is a part in motion traveling down the highway as part of the truck.

Fact is the INTERNET is a thing, Travel is an action. So give up the ghost and have fun netting.

I have a LAN in my bedroom. It is a network. Could I call it the INTERNET?

I have a cable modem on my LAN. With that cable modem I can connect my LAN to other networks. If my LAN is connected to other networks, does it cease being a LAN and become the INTERNET?

Where does a network end and the INTERNET begin? Does the network end at my cable modem and the INTERNET begin at my cable modem? Does my cable modem even connect to the INTERNET or does it just connect to the cable company's network? Is the cable comapny's network the INTERNET? Does the whole world have to connect to my cable company in order to be on the INTERNET?

Where is the INTERNET located? Who owns the INTERNET? Where does the INTERNET begin and end? Is the INTERNET a rhombus? Is it a rectangle? Does the INTERNET have physical characteristics? Please describe this thing for me, Doc.

The INTERNET is NOT a thing. I'm not going to argue with you; not worth my time. We'll have to agree to disagee. It is, after all, very easy to disagree with you.

Edited by Ganky Ghost

I am a new member of the Boot Factory BBS! woot woot!

You used bang paths, huh? I can tell. You have it written all over your rhombus.

I can't stop laughing,

LAN= Local area network

WAN= Wide area network

so I guess a lan in your bedroom is well a local network....

local network to outside network ... a wide area network....

Ganky please use you LAN to connect to your providers wan and access the INTERNET from there... perform a search on the subject matter at hand. After reading the documentation of networks and their topography as well as what the acronyms mean we might actually be able to discuss what constitutes the quote INTERNET unquote as you perceive it.

I love your tenacity and find you a humorous and bright spot in an otherwise dull day.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I think a new BBS would be great.

But it would have to be an 8-node like Bumzyman's.

Buy a multiplexer system and TCPIP Express BBS software.

http://www.tcpipexpress.com

Oh yeah.. and 9 ataris, 8 ports worth of terminal servers, and at least one PBI hardisk setup.

Then you will have a truly wicked board..

I can't stop laughing,

If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

LAN= Local area network

WAN= Wide area network

You are correct. You do know something. I'm impressed. Dare I say amazed?

so I guess a lan in your bedroom is well a local network....

Incredible. You're a very quick study.

local network to outside network ... a wide area network....

Where does the WAN become the INTERNET?

Ganky please use you LAN to connect to your providers wan and access the INTERNET from there... perform a search on the subject matter at hand.

The subject matter at hand is icons. Brought to you today by the word emulator. I can't find a suitable icon for my Atari emulator. Bummer.

After reading the documentation of networks and their topography as well as what the acronyms mean we might actually be able to discuss what constitutes the quote INTERNET unquote as you perceive it.

Hey! Hey! You! Get off of my cloud. You a Rolling Stones fan, Doc? No? Didn't think so. Oh well.

I love your tenacity and find you a humorous and bright spot in an otherwise dull day.

No such thing as bright. What is bright? Where does dark end and light begin? Are you a philosopher, Doc? You talk like a philosopher. You're like the great Socrates. Italian, wasn't he? Gotta love those Italian philosophers.