IGNORED

specific Wii questions B4 I buy one

kondre

I have a few questions regarding the Wii.

1. Are there and if yes what cables are there to have the Wii take advantage of the 720p that a 32" LCD TV can do?

2. I want to just confirm that any driving game will take advantage of the snap on steering wheel that stores sell that holds the Wii controller.

3. If there are some GC games that we want to play do we need to have the optional game pad that is sold separately?

4. Are there any non emulators out there for the Wii? other than the emulator that Nintendo has published.

5. if 4 is a "yes" then who? and what do they play?

The wife has signaled that she wants me to sell the xbox and get the Wii for the family. We have no GC games nor any thing for the Nintendo so we are not familiar with the system at all.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

1 - No. The Wii only does 480p max

2 - Any driving game that uses the tilt sensing for control will work. The wheel is just a piece of plastic.

3 - If you want to play GC games, you need a GC controller

4 - There is stuff out there but it requires system exploits (hacks) that probably have been closed by system updates since then. I never bothered, and haven't checked lately to see what the state of affairs there is.

To play Gamecube games, you'll also need a gamecube memory card. The Wii doesn't save GC game data internally.

Oh, and Excite Truck doesn't really work well with the wheel thingy. Reason being, you hold the remote with the buttons facing up in this game, rather than towards you, as in Mario Kart. Still, Excite Truck is still, and will probably always be, the Wii's best racer.

1. There is an adapter out there that will let you hook it up to RGB connectors. 480p is the most your gonna get. With a small handful of titles 16:9 capable.

2. Steering wheel is just a casing. You'll be more competitive in Mario Kart with the remote and nun-chuck anyways.

3. GC games need a GC controller and memory card.

4. Homebrew does exist for the Wii. Bascially there are two options. Hard mod (chip), or soft mod (software exploits). Nintendo's latest firmware update breaks the software exploit. So if you are interested in experimenting with it I would suggest doing that first before updating the firmware. You will need an SD card and a copy of Zelda Twilight princess, though.

I'm surprised it was never mentioned here. But someone figured out about a month ago how to run "backup copies" of Wii games without using a chip. The system is a little on the fickle side but it does run quite a bit of software almost normal.