IGNORED

double shoot in space invaders

kondre

I was thinking of all my Atari stuff last night and while I was brushing my teeth, I remembered when I was a kid and we had space invaders playing almost every waking hour, I remembered being able to double shoot, unlike the standard one shot from your guy at a time until it exited the top of the screen. As kids, we were able to do two shots. We figured it out by taking the console, turning it on with no cart in it, then inserting the cart, then turning off the console, and instantly returning the power back on and pressing the reset lever immediately as well. Once someone pressed game select the double shoot was lost, but you could reset all day long without losing the double shoot. Now, I didnt have the Atari Space Invaders, we had the Sears Tele-games version, I doubt there is a difference besides the label, but who knows.

I would be extremely shocked if this easter egg was not known on this forum, but I though I would share it after not finding any mention of double shoot in a search.

Kevin

I believe there's even a hack out there that turns on the double shot for all game variations.

But yeah, I think this was one of the the most well known easter eggs. If you had Space Invaders and didn't stumle upon this one, you probably didn't play it much :P

So does Jeff Minter's Beast Invaders.

But mine is selectable :D

The reason that this appears is because the game reset routine is allowed to execute before the game setup routine. If you hold down reset when powering up, a ram location isn't given the proper "AND" value used when checking which player is shooting due to the setup code being skipped (because some game variations feature both players simultaneously). Flipping the power switch on the console rapidly...or frying...may also have this effect, because the probability of this one ram "bit" holding the proper value is very low (ram is in an unknown state on powerup...and frying a game starts executing it at a random location). When game select is used, the game goes though the correct setup sequence...and corrects itself.