IGNORED

Two questions from a soon to be Lynx owner

Atarifever

Okay, so me and the wife have some money left in the Christmas war chest, and she tells me I can have a Lynx if I want. I have two questions:

1) Does any other power supply work with a Lynx (I don't want to have to buy one)

1A) Do rechargeable Energizer/Duracell batteries provide sufficient power for a decent amount of time?

2) I will only be able to afford a dirt cheap, common game. What is the best dirt cheap, common game?

Thanks.

By the way, I've done a little research on this, and is it just me, or is the Electrocop guy the same dude as in Robotron)

Edited by Atarifever

Oh, no one answered your question about batteries.

The Lynx eats through batteries like nothing you've ever seen before. Rechargeables are typically going to accomodate maybe half of the playtime that regular batties will. Don't expect more than an hour of play time out of them.

Oh, no one answered your question about batteries.

The Lynx eats through batteries like nothing you've ever seen before. Rechargeables are typically going to accomodate maybe half of the playtime that regular batties will. Don't expect more than an hour of play time out of them.

That depends highly upon what type of batteries he uses.

NiCd batteries are garbage, but I have a set of 2600 mah NiMH batteries that nearly double the time I get out of standard alkalines in both my Lynx and my Game Gear.

The original atari Lynx adaptor is 9V 1A. You can use an universal adaptor with 1A and set voltage to 9.

There are two universal adapters at a local Hart store. One is 300 somethings or other, and the other is 500 something or other. They have settings between 1.5 and 12 I believe. Would either of these be what I'm looking for? Thanks.

Edited by Atarifever

There are two universal adapters at a local Hart store. One is 300 somethings or other, and the other is 500 something or other.

Probably not, I'm guessing thats 300mA and 500mA. The Lynx adapter is rated 9V - 1A (or 1000mA)

I also use high capacity NiMH rechargeables as well in the Lynx and get good playtime with them, longer than standard alkalines. One slight problem is that some rechargeables are slightly larger than their regular counterparts, and tend to get stuck in the Lynx (I or II) and require a fair bit of shaking to get out.

There are two universal adapters at a local Hart store. One is 300 somethings or other, and the other is 500 something or other.

Probably not, I'm guessing thats 300mA and 500mA. The Lynx adapter is rated 9V - 1A (or 1000mA)

I also use high capacity NiMH rechargeables as well in the Lynx and get good playtime with them, longer than standard alkalines. One slight problem is that some rechargeables are slightly larger than their regular counterparts, and tend to get stuck in the Lynx (I or II) and require a fair bit of shaking to get out.

I have measured the current consumption sometime and I have faint memory that one of my Lynxes used 260 mA.

This depends a lot of the quality of the power supply also. If it provides a decent regulated 9V I believe that 300mA is enough. To be on the sure side 500mA would be better.

Ataris 1A sounds like a complete overkill. I wonder why it states so in their specs?

--

Karri

Edited by karri

I have measured the current consumption sometime and I have faint memory that one of my Lynxes used 260 mA.

This depends a lot of the quality of the power supply also. If it provides a decent regulated 9V I believe that 300mA is enough. To be on the sure side 500mA would be better.

Ataris 1A sounds like a complete overkill. I wonder why it states so in their specs?

--

Karri

So a 500mA is probably good then? Because the system is shipping today, and I'll need something to power it probably next week. (Mine is a Lynx model 1 if that makes a difference).

Edited by Atarifever

I've used a 500mA plug before with good success, the big issues is making sure you have the right end I forget what size it is of the top of my head but its a real skinny female adapter. Good solid Digital camera rechargeable AA work great and I believe most are 2600 IIRC. NiCd don't waste your time on. Also a decent alternative is if you get the battery pack made by atari that takes 6 D batery those are nice for trips and such as I usually can get close to 60 hours or more out of them although it is a bit balky. YOU can find those fairly cheap like around 10 bucks usually...

As for games, my all time favorites are xenophobe, raiden, 4 by 4 off road but those will cost a few bucks.

Cheaper good games are: California games, rampart(If you strategy types), chips challenge, G of Z, switchblade 2

So have you picked up a game yet Atarifever?

I'd also recommend Chips Challenge. Plenty of play life in that title and it's addictive.

Right now I have Kung Food and Xybots. Surprisingly, as I pointed out in another thread, I am really liking Kung Food. I played Xybots for an hourlast night and was pretty impressed as well.