IGNORED

Fallout 3

Reaperman

Here's a thought. Did you ever consider the fact the vault might be part of the upcoming DLC?

(If it isn't though. I certainly won't lose sleep over it)

I liked the game so much, I re-bought the collectors edition.

Amazon had it new for $30 off retail! I missed that deal but I snagged it for $20 off which as far as I know is still going on.

Now I can make lunchbox bombs for real!!!

:ponder:

j/k

Edited by moycon

for all the whiners..............here's a clip from an interview about the 3rd campaign DLC, Broken Steel, that will be released in March:

"Broken Steel not only extends the game to level 30, it alters the core ending. It allows the player to continue exploring the ashen Wasteland and see the fruits that are born, or that die, from their decisions. It will reprise several main characters, and conclude some of the story threads left dangling."

and about the un-openable vault:

Jeff Gardiner: There definitely is a story here - the Brotherhood Outcasts are trying to acquire advanced military technology, and the only way to open the vault containing these relics is by completing a tactical simulation only the player can enter. The bulk of the gameplay in this DLC is gunplay and stealth, along with some 'team building exercises.'

Here's the thing, of the millions of people playing and exploring, something you are obviously still doing months after the games release. You're the only one I've seen that gives a crap enough to spend time and effort bitching about it

It's been mentioned on the Bethesda website a few times (not by me thou).

Turns out this is in-fact a bug. The "inaccessable" flag for the door in the ambush chamber gets removed at (just before?) the cutscene, but isn't restored after the fact. According to the admin, their dev team is aware and has already been looking into this since last month (Dec 2008). :cool:

for all the whiners..............here's a clip from an interview about the 3rd campaign DLC, Broken Steel, that will be released in March:

"Broken Steel not only extends the game to level 30, it alters the core ending. It allows the player to continue exploring the ashen Wasteland and see the fruits that are born, or that die, from their decisions. It will reprise several main characters, and conclude some of the story threads left dangling."

Sounds kool. Guess I'm going to have to get another 360 so I can upgrade the dash and get this. :P

and about the un-openable vault:

Jeff Gardiner: There definitely is a story here - the Brotherhood Outcasts are trying to acquire advanced military technology, and the only way to open the vault containing these relics is by completing a tactical simulation only the player can enter. The bulk of the gameplay in this DLC is gunplay and stealth, along with some 'team building exercises.'

Eh. What un-openable vault? I'm missing something here. :ponder:

This game is definitely the best of the best of the best. If there's no super game of the century award for it I will be surprised.

Before it I used to be stuck to GTA & Saint's Row. But this thing is massive, immersive and a heck of a lot of fun.

I know what you mean though kinda. When I played through Dues Ex for like the 3rd time. I augmented my body so I could get over the various fences that made up the play fields. Like you getting around the barriers into the "wasteland", I too went where no man was ment to go. I was hoping there would be some SUPER rare equipment or something. Nope. There was only vast nothingness...and crates so i could get back over the fence where I belonged. I guess I should be thankful for the crates. The crates proved people figured you could get over the fences. Still I couldnt help but be disappointed they didn't run with it. Me and 5 other guys probably cared.

Speaking from personal experience on this very game, with a game of this scope and nature it is nigh impossible to prevent every bug of this nature. You can only spend so many resources and time playtesting, and someone will always find a clever way to break your map. Frankly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. :)

..Al

Wow, that Mr. Gutsy I bought sure can't stand up to 3 measly raiders. 1000 caps down the drain, so I couldn't save it.

Weird thing happened when I was doing a screwoff session(ie don't save) last night. I walk into a building with a buncha ghouls in it. I open a door & see a glowing one. For a brief amount of time, the building flashes before me in perfectly good condition & I see a regular guy just standing there. Some sort of quick flashback to when things were better? Wow is that ghoul mask handy.

And I'm back to good karma after giving that guy some water. Confessor Cromwell is nowhere to be found. That guy that works at the water treatment plant who will take scrap metal: gone. ugh.

The building you went into with the flashback was the Dunwich Building, a reference to H.P. Lovecraft. The flashback is supposed to happen, and if you read the holotapes you find around, you'll understand who that guy is and what happened there. If you go through the entire thing, you'll see odd things happen, like doors opening by themselves. Cool, creepy place.

The building you went into with the flashback was the Dunwich Building, a reference to H.P. Lovecraft. The flashback is supposed to happen, and if you read the holotapes you find around, you'll understand who that guy is and what happened there. If you go through the entire thing, you'll see odd things happen, like doors opening by themselves. Cool, creepy place.

That building was awesome and all kinds of creepy and fucked up.

It's amazing how much can happen in ONE instance of this game. I fast travel to the B&B, expecting no raiders. Yep, there were raiders. In addition to that, there was one of the traders coming by, AND there were Talon Mercs looking for me in the wrong direction(away from the action). Funny. Got done with the Dunwich building, but without killing Jamie just yet. Just wanted some items & left. Now I'm in vault 106. The Gutsy robot is getting more kills than I am down there.

So I signed up on the Bethesda website yesterday....

Boy do their forums suck.

All posts are limited to 200 posts.

Flood control in 60 seconds for EVERYTHING, including just trying to reply to a message.

Search is very limited and only lets you search for a keyword inside messages. Can't search by user or anything else.

Quoting a message only seem to quote the person you are replying to and ignores any secondary quotes they have in their message.

Posting/Reponding times out after like 60 seconds. So if you spend too long in the editor, it gives an error and won't post. It instead gives you an option to copy your message to your clipboard, then you have to start a new reply over and paste your message then submit it.

You can't "upload" an avatar. If you want to use a custom one, you have to provide a URL link to it.

:ponder:

thats why i stay with this forum and no other

Yeah, it's really pretty bad.

The timeout in the editor is just freaking ridiculous. If you type one line and don't reread it for errors, you "might" get it to post the first time around.

Other stupidty on their forums.... Topic "yada yada", 21 replies, 0 views. WTF? :ponder: How the hell do you open a topic and reply with quotes and all without viewing it?

I've given up on the search. It's really dumb. Search for a keyword, and you'll see the same post displayed several times in the results because it found the keyword several times in that post. :ponder:

It's like they really don't want people trying to find anything that interests/concerns them or contributing.

Edited by Artlover

The timeout in the editor is just freaking ridiculous. If you type one line and don't reread it for errors, you "might" get it to post the first time around.

That is pretty ridiculous and I can't imagine why they would do this intentionally. I wonder if their sessions table (which for performance reasons is usually stored in RAM) is too small.

Other stupidty on their forums.... Topic "yada yada", 21 replies, 0 views. WTF? :ponder: How the hell do you open a topic and reply with quotes and all without viewing it?

They are running the same forum software we are running here. Updating the topic views on a busy forum is pretty resource intensive--every time someone opens a topic, you need to update that table. There is a setting in the software that caches the topic views data and only updates the database periodically (I think the default is three hours, which is far too long of a delay in my opinion). I had this enabled here for a short bit, but disabled it as I didn't like the delay. Probably will enable it again when I upgrade to IP.Board 3.0, but with a much shorter delay (say, 15 minutes).

I've given up on the search. It's really dumb. Search for a keyword, and you'll see the same post displayed several times in the results because it found the keyword several times in that post. :ponder:

I'm guessing they have their search results defaulting to return posts instead of topics (I went to try but you have to be logged in to use the search feature). If you click on the "Search" link on this page and then select "Show results as posts", you'll get the same type of results here.

..Al

I'm guessing they have their search results defaulting to return posts instead of topics (I went to try but you have to be logged in to use the search feature). If you click on the "Search" link on this page and then select "Show results as posts", you'll get the same type of results here.

Interesting. Now if only they gave you a real search page where you could select the options you want. That's one of the problems over there. Clicking on search only pops up a small text entry box next to the "search" button where you can enter a keyword. That's it. :|

Interesting. Now if only they gave you a real search page where you could select the options you want. That's one of the problems over there. Clicking on search only pops up a small text entry box next to the "search" button where you can enter a keyword. That's it. :|

Click on the "More Search Options" link after clicking "Search" and you should see the advanced search options page.

..Al

Click on the "More Search Options" link after clicking "Search" and you should see the advanced search options page.

Thanks for the tip. What with the dark color scheme and my monitor settings, I completely missed that! :dunce:

Wow, are they convoluted.

I just tried that. It popped up a new window that only give me the option of selecting which forum to search in and a check box option to select most relevant or most recent. There was yet another button for more options that you had to click to pull up the full search window.

To that end, yes, they default to search posts, not titles.

Thanks for the tip. What with the dark color scheme and my monitor settings, I completely missed that! :dunce:

Wow, are they convoluted.

I just tried that. It popped up a new window that only give me the option of selecting which forum to search in and a check box option to select most relevant or most recent. There was yet another button for more options that you had to click to pull up the full search window.

To that end, yes, they default to search posts, not titles.

WHAT? You want to be able to search for information on forums EASILY? You speak in riddles, flying car future man!

So I finished the Big Town mission. Did it straightforward with sniper rifles, missile launchers & mines. You can shoot a super mutant from behind with rebar,etc in the way, and it barely touches him, nor will he take notice of you. Pretty good haul coming back, especially the Fat Man.

After getting back to Big Town was funny. My skill of "sneak" came up to train the town residents, all looking at me. So I crouch, and all(but 1) crouch in front of me. Funny.

I now have 8 stealthboys for my Mirelurk quest(or anything). I just keep finding 'em and hoarding. Like the fact I now know how to remove dud passwords, and can usually get really lucky finding the right password on the first getgo.

Fallout 3 was patched today.

Sadly...They didn't open Artlovers vault.

Still...lot's of fixes.

It's good they addressed the blaring cheats. Like the one where you could immediately level up to 20 just talking to a guy over and over.

Fallout 3 Patched

A truckload of fixes are made.

January 13, 2009 - Fallout 3 has received an update, available free to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC owners of the English, German, Italian and Spanish versions of the game. The patch will download automatically on Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network.

Here is the list of fixes Bethesda claims the patch makes::

Bug Fixes

-Friends notification no longer causes the game to pause. (Playstation 3)

-Fixed occasional crashes during loading and waiting.

-Friendly or neutral NPC health bars, when taking damage, no longer flicker repeatedly.

-Fixed issue where certain NPCs would occasionally disappear from the game.

-Fixed issue where dead NPCs would occasionally come back to life.

-Fixed rendering issue with the Gatling Laser gun's tracers.

-Fixed issue where the haircut menu would occasionally not appear properly.

-Added ability to remap your VATS and pip boy buttons.

-Fixed rare load/save issues that would cause NPCs to behave incorrectly.

-Fixed issue where quest objectives would occasionally not update properly due to talking activators, intercoms and conversations.

-Using Radaway from the Pip-Boy's Status Menu repeatedly no longer crashes the game.

- Player no longer gets stuck in level up menu if their skills are maxed out.

-Fixed issue where multiple followers would occasionally not load into an interior.

-Fixed rare issue with getting stuck in VATS mode.

-Fixed rare crash with fighting NPCs with corrupted data.

-In game radios will now play properly if player was listening to the radio in the Pip-Boy first. (Playstation 3)

-Fixed rare crashes while loading and saving games.

-Fixed rare issue where player would fall through the floor while in VATS.

-Fixed occasional crash after scoring a critical hit in the head with a Railway Rifle.

-Prevent NPCs from inadvertently dying from falling.

-Fixed occasional issue where the controller would stop working properly.

-Fixed crashes related to repeatedly equipping and dropping clothing and armor into the world.

Quest Fixes

-Fixed several instances where quest item stayed in inventory permanently after completing quests.

-Fixed an issue where the distress message would occasionally not play in Trouble on the Homefront.

-In The Waters of Life quest, the Citadel gate will open properly if the player fast travels away after exiting the Taft Tunnels but before reaching the Citadel gate with Doctor Li.

-For the Home Sweet Home quest, the broken protectrons in Big Town become active at the proper time.

-In The American Dream quest, fixed specific issue which prevented the player from accessing their belongings in the locker by the door if they left the room first.

-Fixed infinite caps exploit in Strictly Business quest.

- Fixed rare instance where Dad would have no valid dialogue during The Waters of Life quest.

- Prevent issue during the Finding the Garden of Eden quest where player would fade to black, instead of traveling to Raven Rock, while in combat with a follower.

-Fixed several XP speech exploits with certain NPCs.

-Fixed XP exploit with a robot in Fort Bannister.

-Fixed issue where player's controls can become locked permanently during The American Dream.

Edited by moycon

After the patch, Confessor Cromwell & the water guy are still MIA.

So I went to Evergreen Mills and ended up staying awake until 12:30 adventuring. Amazed to find yet ANOTHER Fat Man. The slaves would NOT escape, regardless of the fact I killed all the baddies except for the Super Mutant. Quite a bit to loot to steal here. My karma rating is now "jesus". Also found 7 alien power cells.

After the patch, Confessor Cromwell & the water guy are still MIA.

Patches only fix the inherent problem so that it can't initiate during game play. But they don't fix bad game saves corrupted with bug inducing parameters that would effectively bypass any fix put in place.

Sadly...They didn't open Artlovers vault.
:roll: Whatever.

You know, just beause you don't care or you don't have a problem doesn't mean it's not a valid issue or that people don't have a right to complain. It's really an annoying attitude that plagues a lot of people on the internet over everything from game bugs to usenet providers to carpet fuzz. It always raises the question; why do people who don't care/have problems even take the time to engage people who do/do over something that obviously isn't even of any concern to them? What IS their agenda besides to say "shut up, take what you're given and be happy about it". Boy if only "everyone" was like this there would be no need for patches and DLC at all.

Can I get into the act? I honestly don't have any of the so called issues fixed in the patch. Ergo I say everyone that complained about them are just whiners bitching about nothing and Bethesda should have spent their time on something more productive. Like fixing the quest ending bugs in the Superhero Gambit & Tenpenny quests, amung others.

Honestly, sometimes I get the impression you would be happy about and except buying a new car on sale that only came with 3 wheels because the money you saved is more then the cost of buying the 4th wheel yourself. :ponder: While your powers of overlookedness and trivial dismissedness are astounding, it doesn't fix issues or help people that have them.

To that end, please stop singling me out every time I make a valid criticism about a game. What was one thing you said a while ago..."there goes Artlover bitching again". - A game is too short, I'm bitching. A game has broken gameplay mechanics, I'm bitching. A game isn't as advertised, I'm bitching. If I say anything other then a game is 100% perfection, I'm bitching. - Pro tip for you, you have an ignore list, maybe you should consider using it.

Edited by Artlover