IGNORED

Fallout 3

Reaperman

I'm taking a quick breather from another game I'm playing and started Fallout 3 today. So far, I really like it and it reminds me A LOT of Oblivion, even to the point where just before you leave the vault (or Oblivion dungeon), you can redo your character and stat's.

Any tips/hints/opinions on what stat's and specials one should highly consider in making a new character? I put most of mine into intelligence and perception, and then into medicine, repair, and lockpicking.

Mendon

Any tips/hints/opinions on what stat's and specials one should highly consider in making a new character? I put most of mine into intelligence and perception, and then into medicine, repair, and lockpicking.

It really depends on just how you intend to play your character. Will you be a survivalist with an eye for justice, a maniacal roving murderer or anywhere in between? Different skills for different folks...

However I will emphasis that the Repair skill is incredibly useful. :)

Can I buy this expansion pack and still safely play the original without it screwing up my original game?

I'm at repair 100. It's nice to have long-lasting, heavy-hitting weapons. I now have Charion on my side, and gave him the power armor I can't use. From the YouTube vids, I thought he was some Brotherhood buddy, but nope, just wearin' the armor. He's good. He sneaks when you sneaks, and even chucked a grenade at a supermutant.

I felt bad though when I forgot to take my ghoul mask off during some outside fights, as it has a tiny bit of damage. I have to remember to take that off when I'm outside in a ghoul-free zone.

BAHAHHA

Did you ever have an incredibly appropriate song on your MP3 player play during a game?

I go around in Vault 108 with all the Gary clones. Guess which track of all tracks decides to play? "Clones" by Alice Cooper. Hi-frickin-larious. Could not have picked a better song. FUPPES didn't even abruptly end it either!

A newbie question that I really didn't find addressed in the manual: Do your skills go up as you use them or do you gain exp's for using them?

Example, as I successfully pick locks, will I gain exp's towards raising my level or will my lockpick skill go up a number after successfully picking X number of locks? Or the more I use a baseball bat to melee, will my melee skills rise or will I gain exp's towards raising my level with each successful enemy killed?

In Oblivion, you could raise your melee skills or spell skills or sneak skills just by using them, so this made me wonder if Fallout was designed the same way. Or do you just gain exp's by completing quests and only raise your skills when you reach another level or by artificial (drugs, enhanced clothing, etc) means?

Hehehe... maybe I should just stop comparing it to Oblivion and just play!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

No skills are gained for using the skills, just experience. It doesn't seem to matter too much what your initial skills are chosen to boost in the game, as there's several ways to boost skills later on in the game.

1. bobble heads(10 points each)

2. books(1 point each, 2 for using some perk?)

3. miscellaneous items. There's a charm bear that gives you 10 permanent speech inc points in Oasis, that somehow wasn't available to me.

4. oddball perks earned thru quests

5. regular perks you choose.

I might forego the "stat booster perks" in favor of ones that you can't get otherwise, like the animal friend perk. Animal friend is ONLY available through perks. I'm at level 20 and most of my skills are in a pretty respectable high position, except for explosives and melee. I don't see much of a point for melee(or is it unarmed?) as most of the enemies here have guns.

For all repairs I do, I switch to the vault 101 utility jumpsuit(which boosts repair), do my repairs, then switch back to my regular armor all in the pip boy. Before all transactions, I switch to the roving trader suit + hat for a quick 10 point boost for trade, and so forth.

LOL You were probably next to unstoppable when you booted up and headed there...hu?

Yeah, it was a rather late game save. :D Op Anchorage would be a good place to go earlier in the game for the goodies.

A newbie question that I really didn't find addressed in the manual: Do your skills go up as you use them or do you gain exp's for using them?

You gain exp for actions which advances you to the next character level. When you level up, then you increase the skills as you wish.

yea....i beat operation anchorage pretty quick.....about an hour and a half worth of fighting and exploring.

the ammo and health dispensers kinda made it rather too easy.

i'm taking advantage of the winterized t-51b outfit, though. it's better than my tesla armour. and the gauss rifle is awesome!!!!!

and I FINALLY found the Lincoln Repeater!!!! :cool:

Recently started a new game, and discovered a sweet glitch in Vault 112. Already posted this on the Fallout3 Wiki, but figured I'd mention it here too.

Some lockers regenerate contents. Basicly, look in every locker and take everything (including the locker in Braun's office). Leave the vault (only need to go through the door leading to Smith Casey's Garage), then return to the vault. Check all the lockers again. A random locker here or there will not be empty anymore but will contain either a Recon Armor/Helmet, or else 2 cartons of cigarettes and a clipboard. You can keep doing this over and over and stock up on those items to sell off later. When your full, you can fast travel to Megaton or whereever to unload, then back again to repeat.

This only works BEFORE you start the Tranquility Lane Quest. Once you complete that quest, the lockers stay empty.

I'm still trying to figure out the connection between Gary and the Outcast Outpost with the Anchorage sim in it. remo should know what I'm talking about. ;)

I think they sawed the poor bastards arm off trying to get his Pip-Boy. Before or after he might have been killed in the sim - who knows...

I'm still trying to figure out the connection between Gary and the Outcast Outpost with the Anchorage sim in it. remo should know what I'm talking about. ;)

I think they sawed the poor bastards arm off trying to get his Pip-Boy. Before or after he might have been killed in the sim - who knows...

Spoiler Alert:

Did some of the Outcasts turn on you after the door got opened? I was admiring the armour and all of the sudden I heard them killing each other and then that Scribe Olin ran out there and got slaughtered, too. So I pulled out my combat shotgun and went to town on those fucks.

Did some of the Outcasts turn on you after the door got opened? I was admiring the armour and all of the sudden I heard them killing each other and then that Scribe Olin ran out there and got slaughtered, too. So I pulled out my combat shotgun and went to town on those fucks.

Yeah.

One of the soldiers (I forget his name) is a traitor and wants the tech stuff for himself, and thus a gun fight breaks out.

Yeah.

One of the soldiers (I forget his name) is a traitor and wants the tech stuff for himself, and thus a gun fight breaks out.

Ahhh that explains it... I was wondering... WTF!

Speaking of

armor... is that armor non-deteriorating or something? I've been touring around with it since finishing the Anchorage missions and it's still at 100% which is awesome! Then again, I wouldn't know how to repair it if it started to drop in condition. Anyone know for certain? Oh and I didn't get all 10 briefcases... did anyone get them all and if so... what kind of bonus is there for getting them all?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I just beat Fallout 3. I say that because I had no clue I was on the last mission of the main quest, I still had a lot I wanted to do! But wow this game was a blast to play and I'm glad I took my time with it over the last few months. Just wanted to thank all of you for getting me excited enough about this game to go out and get it (along with a 360 :P ).