IGNORED

SDrive published

raster/c.p.u.

SDrive (rev .12.10.2008)

Robert Petružela a Radek Štěrba , Bob!k & Raster , C.P.U. , 2008

The SDrive is a device that connects to Atari XL/XE's serial (SIO) port and simulates an Atari floppy disk drive with full read/write access to programs and data stored on a SecureDigital flash card (SD).

SDrive web page - english

post-3740-1225435351_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...

I read in the docs that "most DOSes" are supported. Is SpartaDOS one of those?

Where can I buy one?

mhm. these are some lame questions. firstly, the creators don't sell them or even produce them but publish all material, detailed plans and all the software so that everbody can build it on his own or ask people who would be able to do so.

Regarding support for SpartaDos -> well it's a SIO2PC -kind-of-hardware and as such compatible to all DOS including SpartaDOS. The unit simply does not care, what kind of DOS you want to boot up. The hardware is disk drive emulator, as long as your <put your exotic favorite DOS here> supports a 1050 disk drive it must works.

grtx,

\twh

Hmmm...

I read in the docs that "most DOSes" are supported. Is SpartaDOS one of those?

Where can I buy one?

mhm. these are some lame questions. firstly, the creators don't sell them or even produce them but publish all material, detailed plans and all the software so that everbody can build it on his own or ask people who would be able to do so.

Regarding support for SpartaDos -> well it's a SIO2PC -kind-of-hardware and as such compatible to all DOS including SpartaDOS. The unit simply does not care, what kind of DOS you want to boot up. The hardware is disk drive emulator, as long as your <put your exotic favorite DOS here> supports a 1050 disk drive it must works.

grtx,

\twh

Lame? The docs say "most DOSes are supported", hence the question. Maybe something lost in translation, huh?

def lame walk=0

= )

Don't fret, he's obviously land-locked somewhere in Europe and has never even seen a surfboard or an ocean. Remember, they changed the standardized testing in the US to accommodate cultural differences based on geography.

&U*hha7arrgg42

jhgsh90843anguish^(

0898970dknnmkmkl555555braincrash666eei098908f;lk... WTF?!?

Eeeeek! That almost sounded politically correct....What have I become? Don't make me get Xenocidal, don't try to rip off words from my subculture if you can't even use them properly in a sentence, Mr. Walkequalszero.

Good day.

def lame walk=0

= )

Don't fret, he's obviously land-locked somewhere in Europe and has never even seen a surfboard or an ocean. Remember, they changed the standardized testing in the US to accommodate cultural differences based on geography.

&U*hha7arrgg42

jhgsh90843anguish^(

0898970dknnmkmkl555555braincrash666eei098908f;lk... WTF?!?

Eeeeek! That almost sounded politically correct....What have I become? Don't make me get Xenocidal, don't try to rip off words from my subculture if you can't even use them properly in a sentence, Mr. Walkequalszero.

Good day.

is this some kind of bashing of non mother-tongue english speakers? What do you want to say us when talking about "land-locked Europeans" ?

grtx,

\twh

s this some kind of bashing of non mother-tongue english speakers? What do you want to say us when talking about "land-locked Europeans" ?

Yeah, it is, but just for you, because you're special.

R U sooo elite as to bash my guitar playing bro, and another user for asking perfectly rational questions, yet feel that you were justified, with complete artistic license, to do so with complete impunity? Give me a break. Oooooh & now I'm rolling tanks over Europe and you're a victim, Whatever.

I find it freakin' offensive that you pick up a word because you find it to be mainstream & trendy nowadays, and attempt to use it by putting people down that are, in fact, not lame (*SUBTLE USAGE NOTE*).

Whatever 2 U. If you can't see how >lame< you were, don't bother crying about it.

this is the most extreme and offending post I have ever seen in this forum. I check this forum almost every day for many years now, but was not aware to "meet" aggressive people like you. hm -- I'm starting to understand, reading my post again, I see some arrogant notes in my posting. I'm sorry for that Boot Factory, it wasn't intended to sound rude.

Because I'm using English as a foreign language it's also clear that I have no chance "to fight for my honor with words" like you do dear "UnixCoffee", so you win. and many thanks for your fascinating English lessons, something we don't learn at school here.

coming back to the topic and what I originally wanted to bring into this thread: I personally know the creators and know this device from earlier development stages. I simply love it and gonna build myself one unit over the Christmas holidays. The hardware, software and published material is pretty awesome. thank you guys of C.P.U. and congratulations that you won the ABBUC hardware contest.

grx,

\twh

Hello guys

Please take into consideration, that not everybody speaks English "by nature". Sometimes it's hard to express yourself. twh obviously used the wrong words. But did he deserve to be flamed like that? Isn't it enough to tell him that he was fairly rude? Do any of you guys speak a second language? On a fairly regular basis?

Greetings

Mathy

Steady on peeps, stop giving yourselves a coronary over nothing, twh should be commended for giving up his time and energy in bothering to support a format that disappeared from the marketplace eons ago and try and provide some documentation in a modicum of the english language bearing in mind that english is neither his primarly or secondary spoken language

Perhaps those of you that were too quick to slate twh for his attempts at providing documentation in english, perhaps you should have a go at translating the english documentation back into it's original language and without the aid of any on and offline translation programs or gadgets and lets see how well you peeps do

Perhpas twh would be better served supprting rival formats like the c64, speccy, amstrad etc where his efforts would be better appreciated and welcomed

end of rant

Edited by carmel_andrews

he's obviously land-locked somewhere in Europe and has never even seen a surfboard or an ocean.

Excuse me, sir. Webster Dictionary is saying that "lame" means "slang : not being in the know"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lame

The Free Only Dictionary: "lame - weak; unconvincing"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lame

Answers.com: "Weak and ineffectual; unsatisfactory"

http://www.answers.com/topic/lame

You Dictionary:

"poor, weak, unconvincing, ineffectual" and "Slang: a person who is conventional, conservative, old-fashioned, etc.; square"

http://www.yourdictionary.com/lame

I have a question: are you sure there is no ocean in Europe? I'm living in Europe and just see an ocean through my window :D

Steady on peeps, stop giving yourselves a coronary over nothing, twh should be commended for giving up his time and energy in bothering to support a format that disappeared from the marketplace eons ago and try and provide some documentation in a modicum of the english language bearing in mind that english is neither his primarly or secondary spoken language

Perhaps those of you that were too quick to slate twh for his attempts at providing documentation in english, perhaps you should have a go at translating the english documentation back into it's original language and without the aid of any on and offline translation programs or gadgets and lets see how well you peeps do

Perhpas twh would be better served supprting rival formats like the c64, speccy, amstrad etc where his efforts would be better appreciated and welcomed

end of rant

I commend his efforts, but the response posted was inexcusable. It would have been more civilized to clarify. That said, let's move the conversation onto the product. I don't want to condemn or excuse twh. Good project, poor customer relations. Should not matter much given the price.

OK, OK, OK.

Enough, gawd... You're welcome, glad to be of service, feel free to come to me whenever you need an English lesson...

I don't know what kind of primates (and how many of them) are operating the typewriters at the dictionary factories, but I will succinctly state that the word, "LAME", comes from 1970s American surfing culture. It migrated into American skateboarding culture in the early 1980s, which was tied in directly with American punk rock culture, it found it's way into BBS usage amongst 1980s teens, then reached wider acceptance during the crossover period with punk & metal, in the mid to late 80s. From there the grunge crowd picked up on it. After that it found it's way into contemporary American speech. Like all other aspects of surf-slang, skate-slang, & val-speak it has been a word that has found it's place, albeit unwilling, in American English, and from a etymological & lexical standpoint has been corrupting "The King's English" for about 30 years.

DEFINITION: If someone is lame, they are completely useless & they suck at what they are trying to do. If you directly call someone lame you are saying that they are useless, and a complete fu*king moron, this is where it falls into 'fighting words'. EXAMPLE: Person 1"You are soooo fu*king lame.". Person 2: "What?! Fu*k you, I'll kick your fu*king ass (fight ensues). If something is lame it is pointless, and a complete and utter waste of time. If a situation is lame, it's something so completely stupid & pointless that you wish you weren't involved with it (like this whole post from the time that I got involved with it.). Finally, as in the the impetus for all of this, if someone says "Those are some lame questions"... It #1 says that the speaker is soooo cool as to be the judge of what a stupid question is, while #2 is saying "You people are fu*king idiots for asking those questions, but I'll go out of my way to answer them even though I consider you to be a stupid animal. Ultimately, its a VERY PRETENTIOUS & NASTY thing to say.

The only exception to the above usage is using the word, "lame", followed by a chuckle & raised eyebrow, in which case it would be like, "I'm saying this, but I'm just fu*king around", meaning it has partial truth to it, but I'm just joking around with you to 'get your goat', or to be mildly annoying in a jockular fashion".

Now, If you people don't understand comedy & witticism, it is not because you are English as Second Language speakers, or old men that are out of touch with contemporary speech patterns & the modern usage of humor to tell someone that they are being out of line... its obvious that you're just looking for something to be pissed off about, and fly off the handle with some pre-fab Politically Correct anti-hater speech that you've been brainwashed to accept as 'the right way to do things". My suggestion to you is to watch some Sam Kinison and early Dennis Leary comedy skits, and chill the Fu*k out. Hell, I should be congratulated for coining the word, "Xenocidal", in that post, in the first place... ha....

If you look closely at that post of mine you will see that it is meant to be humorous, and meant to be ironic, while simultaneously chiding the speaker for using the word, "lame" to describe perfectly reasonable questions that weren't even directed to user twh/f2 in the first place.

Hey, if you can't deal with nested logic witticism, irony, surrealism, techno-jokery, and social commentary combined together, it's not my fault. ha.

In America they actually had a board of experts rephrase the standardized tests for students, back at the Dawn of the New-World-Order-of-Politically-Correctness. They specifically eliminated words like "Surfboard", because they felt that it was unfair to inner-city Americans who would never have seen or used a surfboard, and might cause them to answer a question incorrectly, because of the unfamiliar word. No joke.

So, you see, I was using IRONY to describe "Land-Locked Europeans" (...ha, still cracks me up...) based upon the above standardized testing reference, which I presumed EVERYONE would know.

Now, having grown up in the American surf/skate/punk/BBS world, I must say, as a point of social commentary, that it is REALLY grating, and annoys the &*$* out of me when words that were an exclusive part of my subculture are appropriated by the likes of Paris Hilton & Brittany Spears. The fact that mass media ships this crap out to all parts of the globe is even more unsettling.

Which, in turn, has, as you have just witnessed, the potential to cause communication problems.

This user is apparently in Germany. We'll call it even if he goes surfing in the North Sea (right past those U-Boat slips... JOKE... stop already. ha.).

Really, though, I shouldn't have to feel like I'm walking on egg-shells with my own damnable language. I applaud multi-language users for their interest & ability in wielding words from foreign languages. I will state, though, that idiomatic usage is a very important aspect of communication, and if you are testing the waters of your linguistic abilities, perhaps it is more wise to avoid using words just to appear "hip", if you are not fully sure of their meaning.

As far as, "the most extreme and offending post I have ever seen", and meeting aggressive people... well all I can say is, perhaps you should thank me, because if you walked up to a skinhead, punk, skater, or surfer and said that sh*t, they wouldn't bother to take the time to humor you or explain things to you, they'd knock you out. END OF PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT/ENGLISH LESSON ...you stupid freakin' animals... JOKING, JOKING, JOKING... you people are freakin' ridiculous, put the torches & pitchforks down, and resume going about your business. Ha.

= )

Hello Philsan

The case of the HPC301 is practically the same. The HPC301 is a card reader that Atari once made for the PC.

In both cases (HPC301 and XM301) you'll find these plastic thingies where the screws get screwed into, to keep top and bottom together. If you want to put the SD-card recepticle in the short side of the housing, you'll bump into these plastic thingies.

Greetings

Mathy

it is more wise to avoid using words just to appear "hip", if you are not fully sure of their meaning.

You should consider that you may be part of a minority connecting the word to some subculture. Certainly the word "lame" itself predates the 1970's. When I read your post, as a born and raised American, I was left asking myself only what surf boards could possibly have to do with SpartaDOS and whether the "land-locked" comment was some kind of generic insult directed at Europeans.

Google returns 43 million results for lame but only 788 thousand (less than 2%) for lame + surfing.