IGNORED

Atari on a Breadboard

UNIXcoffee928

Unfortunately neither the 512K SRAM or the Ape Warp + upgrade worked on my 600XL :( , hoping to try the Ape Warp+ again at some point.

I have fitted the APE Warp+ to my 800XL and it works perfectly, hope to fit the 512K upgrade to the same 800XL fairly soon to make sure there is no problem with the board.

Hmm, that's bad news :( I was hoping to get my hands on a couple of the 512K upgrades and had one earmarked for a 600XL with another 32in1. I like the idea of a multi-compatible machine with plenty of RAM and a small footprint.

(I'm sure that there are photo's on Mega-Hz site of his upgrade in a 600XL - I'm assuming that's the one you were trying based on a previous conversation ?)

Oh well ...

Hmm, that's bad news :( I was hoping to get my hands on a couple of the 512K upgrades and had one earmarked for a 600XL with another 32in1. I like the idea of a multi-compatible machine with plenty of RAM and a small footprint.

(I'm sure that there are photo's on Mega-Hz site of his upgrade in a 600XL - I'm assuming that's the one you were trying based on a previous conversation ?)

Oh well ...

I'm not saying the mods wont work, just that I have not got them working yet. I am pretty sure that the 32-in-1 is just a matter of finding the right connections.

As for the RAM upgrade, I have still got to try it on my almost fully socketed 800XL, by the law of sod the ic's that are not socketed are the MMU and the OS ROM (and Basic) :x

If I get it working on the 800, then there is something I am doing wrong on the 600.

I'll report back as soon as I get some news

edit, looked at the pictures of MegaHz upgrade, and I can't see any signs of 64K internal upgrade, maybe I need to remove my original mod?

Edited by mimo

Yeah - it does look like a stock machine so that's possibly it. Anyhow - he still hasn't got back to me so it's all moot at this point :(

Don't worry, he it does take a while to work anything out with Wolfram, but I am sure he will get in tough as soon as he can, the quality of his mods is awesome btw.

Yeah - it does look like a stock machine so that's possibly it.

In general,probably best to remove any mods, then fit the upgrades one at a time. Once it works, then just add your previous mods that you want to test and/or keep... this will eliminate a lot of potential gotchas, and in the long-run will turn out to be faster, as a standard working methodology (unless you are feeling 'lucky' that day... ha).

Guus was kind enough to send me the Official 600XL schematics from Atari, in a two-page .pdf file. I've been cleaning the image up, and will post is in a few days, but here's the .pdf, it may help a bit with your current issue.

I removed the crease, straightened & stitched the images, removed any blotching, and straightened some lines in the image that I'm cleaning up... should be done soon, and it will be a really nice reference image, once it's done. For now, here's the original .pdf:

Atari_600XL_Schematic.pdf

• 2 months later...

OK, all 'Breadboard Jokes' aside, here's some cool stuff...

To refresh everyone's memory, we were talking about what would be necessary if we were to build a generic 8-Bit Atari designed provide a point of commonality for expansion. During the course of it, we decided that the 600XL has the lowest component count, and a small over-all PCB footprint. So the new project had a name, it was called the 600X.

Now, while the title of this post is a bit of a misnomer, the general idea here is that we were trying to zen out what we needed to make a system that could be built into any form factor, so that there would be a basis for a new system that could be defined with modern expansion projects in mind.

I spent quite a bit of time straightening out lines & cleaning up the Official Atari Schematic for the 600XL (by hand). You will find the result of this in the schematic attached to this post.

I was going to refine it further, but, extra 'Time' isn't something that I have a lot of in my spice-rack...

= )

Anyway, when I devoted a bunch of time to the questions that were brought up, I was able to collect just about every datasheet necessary for ANYONE to fully understand the functionality of each component in the Atari 8-Bits. You will find them in the zips... good stuff in there, and a couple of other goodies, including the Apple IIGS Ensoniq-5503-DOC IC, which could be interfaced to the Atari, in the future.

I also collected a good deal of data on suppliers for all of these components, and a lot of leads for the best prices on the components.

Once I have some more time to throw at this, I'll post an interactive PDF, which will show the schematic, allow you to click it for an actual component picture, datasheet, and supplier list sorted by price. It will be cool... but, I don't have the time to do it at the moment. It took a lot of hours to make the 600XL schematic as nice as it is now, I hope that it will greatly help the Atari community to push the technology further.

Since everything is clearly defined now, as far as what IS necessary to (Re)-Build an Atari, and is accessible in one place (here!), the next step is to see what components can be combined, to cut component counts, by using modern parts.

Have Fun!

74LS.zip

Cust.zip

65.zip

Atari_600XL_Schematic_FULL_mod_4.zip

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

OK, all 'Breadboard Jokes' aside, here's some cool stuff...

To refresh everyone's memory, we were talking about what would be necessary if we were to build a generic 8-Bit Atari designed provide a point of commonality for expansion. During the course of it, we decided that the 600XL has the lowest component count, and a small over-all PCB footprint. So the new project had a name, it was called the 600X.

Now, while the title of this post is a bit of a misnomer, the general idea here is that we were trying to zen out what we needed to make a system that could be built into any form factor, so that there would be a basis for a new system that could be defined with modern expansion projects in mind.

I spent quite a bit of time straightening out lines & cleaning up the Official Atari Schematic for the 600XL (by hand). You will find the result of this in the schematic attached to this post.

I was going to refine it further, but, extra 'Time' isn't something that I have a lot of in my spice-rack...

= )

Anyway, when I devoted a bunch of time to the questions that were brought up, I was able to collect just about every datasheet necessary for ANYONE to fully understand the functionality of each component in the Atari 8-Bits. You will find them in the zips... good stuff in there, and a couple of other goodies, including the Apple IIGS Ensoniq-5503-DOC IC, which could be interfaced to the Atari, in the future.

I also collected a good deal of data on suppliers for all of these components, and a lot of leads for the best prices on the components.

Once I have some more time to throw at this, I'll post an interactive PDF, which will show the schematic, allow you to click it for an actual component picture, datasheet, and supplier list sorted by price. It will be cool... but, I don't have the time to do it at the moment. It took a lot of hours to make the 600XL schematic as nice as it is now, I hope that it will greatly help the Atari community to push the technology further.

Since everything is clearly defined now, as far as what IS necessary to (Re)-Build an Atari, and is accessible in one place (here!), the next step is to see what components can be combined, to cut component counts, by using modern parts.

Have Fun!

Awesome work and um....

BUMP!

• 8 years later...

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OLD THIS TOPIC IS!!

Ok, so I have pulled a working 600XL motherboard.

I have decided to pull the chips and breadboard everything as-is and get a 600XL working for the fun of it.

I will upgrade and have fun from there, testing all upgrades I can find

I searched the webs for info and found this thread

THANK you guys so much for doing all of this work, I have been looking for all of this info for a while now. I am going to enjoy seeing my little guy come to life again!

And since your thread, there is this 1088XEL motherboard project that seems to be a pretty sweet thing. And also the president changed a couple of times and there are electric cars but no flying ones yet.

cheers

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks again for the groundwork. I wanted to let you know that when I documented my motherboard, I documented the components that were marked on the motherboard but not installed, and your parts list has a lot of parts listed that mine does not have installed ... I am gathering my info and about to place an order, it will be a couple of weeks before all of my parts come in and I have a halfway decent mock up to post. I will maintain an actual parts list for my build and try to post the spreadsheet.

Hey guys thanks again for the groundwork. I wanted to let you know that when I documented my motherboard, I documented the components that were marked on the motherboard but not installed, and your parts list has a lot of parts listed that mine does not have installed ... I am gathering my info and about to place an order, it will be a couple of weeks before all of my parts come in and I have a halfway decent mock up to post. I will maintain an actual parts list for my build and try to post the spreadsheet.

Most Atari motherboards have configurations for different regions, this can affect which components are installed.

• Like 2

Ok so I am starting at the beginning. Like, really.

I spent some time today trying to learn how to solder on a prototyping board. Which was silly, I need to actually breadboard this.

I soldered the leg off of my voltage regulator lol. Going to get 10 more. I got it working too, but then I kept fiddling with it.

I didn't seem to order some of the caps, ordering more of those. Ordering a bunch of breadboards.

I learned a lot. I am trying to start where the power comes in, I'm considering a breadboard power module for $4 so I don't recreate the wheel. But then I want to condition the two power channels with all of the same caps as in the diagram. I'm not going to do power channel 5VC because I'm omitting the RF portion. I'm using this as a learning experience, can't wait to start stringing chips together.

Question - how many amps is the 600xl going to draw? I'm going to get a small fuse also I think.

There is an item on the schematic close to the beginning, it is L1. I see that L10 has a rating of 820uH. Researching, it seems to be a fixed inductor. I am not familiar with these, seems to smooth out the current or something. Not sure if this is a critical part. Having to take time to learn the bits and pieces as I get to them.

The last order only took a few days. Ordering more parts today, I'll go ahead and assemble something once the parts come. Pics soon.

Most of the PSU's for the XL range comes out to the Atari at max rating 1.5A (for 5V). Assuming there's no component changes/substitutes made to use more current (and the assembled breadboard works cleanly), then you wouldn't need more than that.

The actual draw in normal use, im not sure, but it will be less than the above rating.

• Like 1

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OLD THIS TOPIC IS!!

Ok, so I have pulled a working 600XL motherboard.

I have decided to pull the chips and breadboard everything as-is and get a 600XL working for the fun of it.

I will upgrade and have fun from there, testing all upgrades I can find

I searched the webs for info and found this thread

THANK you guys so much for doing all of this work, I have been looking for all of this info for a while now. I am going to enjoy seeing my little guy come to life again!

And since your thread, there is this 1088XEL motherboard project that seems to be a pretty sweet thing. And also the president changed a couple of times and there are electric cars but no flying ones yet.

cheers

If you want to take this to the next level, you could also build a 1088XEL. :)

post-30400-0-11972000-1549465646_thumb.jpg