IGNORED

Chase the Chuckwagon auction site initial critique

Frotz

I'm finding more video games to liquidate, so I decided to finally go ahead and list a couple Atari Lynx games on Chase the Chuckwagon rather than Ebay. Overall, the interface feels nicer than Ebay. The latter has an unpleasant habit of trying to do too much and forgetting about simplicity. There are a few warts though.

1) After you push the button to start an auction, you're asked if you want to list something similar. After this, there is no apparent way to access this functionality.

2) Site doesn't do local timezone correction.

3) The button to push to go to the next step in listing something seems to jump around. First it's at the bottom looking like a button, then it's in the middle looking like an ordinary link...

4) No way to change the ending time of an auction after it has started.

5) When selecting a category in which to list an item, it would be much easier if a hierarchy of spin boxes was used instead of one big spin box listing all categories.

6) Something listed simply under the category "games" is unhelpful. It should not be possible to do that.

7) It would be nice to see who the seller is before clicking on the auction.

8) There ought to be an explicit "save for later" sort of button at the bottom of the fourth step of creating a listing.

9) Those "LOOK!" arrows are annoying.

Now for some things that Chase the Chuckwagon gets right that Ebay does wrong.

1) Creating an auction goes much faster.

2) It's hard to get a complete and clear picture of what the fees are on Ebay. Not so with CtC. All the fees are listed on ONE page, are very agreeable, and simple to understand.

3) It seems impossible, or at least very hard, to create an annoying mess of an auction page. Too many sellers on Ebay do this and I wonder how they manage to sell stuff... Or do they?

These are my initial feelings on things. I'll have more to say when I see some bids, the auctions end, and when I deal with the after-the-sale stuff.

Edited by Frotz

Nice to see you on board CTCW, I have been selling on there for about 6 monthes now, with some pretty good success. I have been through most of the ins and outs of the site. So I thought I would try to address a few of your concerns about auctions. What I am addressing are ways I deal with these issues as it stands, but be sure to let Mike(Socal Mike on the CTCW or parrothead here on AA as he likes to get all the critiques so he can see what may or may not need changed in the next software upgrade window) know your concerns. THere is also a thread for improvements and suggestions in CTCW forum area, maybe check it out.

SO now for how I deal with some of these....

1) After you push the button to start an auction, you're asked if you want to list something similar. After this, there is no apparent way to access this functionality.

I have discussed this with Mike and I believe it is on his list of suggestions, but for now the easiest thing to do is always list something similiar when the second window opens just navigate somewhere else. It will not list the item simply saves it into your pending auctions and then you can come back and fiddle with it in the future. It holds items in the pending area for around 30 days.

Never noticed that, but be sure to let Mike know.

3) The button to push to go to the next step in listing something seems to jump around. First it's at the bottom looking like a button, then it's in the middle looking like an ordinary link...

Your right here I jsut use it so much don't niotice it....

Well this one I don't think is really an issue just my opinion. I don't like the idea of people changing the end times if they decide it needs more time listed. I don't believe you can do this on any other site, either. BUt like I said this is simply my thoughts.

5) When selecting a category in which to list an item, it would be much easier if a hierarchy of spin boxes was used instead of one big spin box listing all categories.

THis is a great idea, be sure to let Mike know about this one. That would make it easier....

6) Something listed simply under the category "games" is unhelpful. It should not be possible to do that.

I think this may have been left in there for items that don't fall under any of the more specific categories. Every once in a while something pops up that isn't set up with a specific category.

Not sure about this one, I assume you mean when searching listings unless you search by seller you don't knwo the seller of the item. THat is a suggestion for Mike, I guess I see your point if I would have a bad experience with someone I may not want to deal with them and seeing ahead of time might save me some time...

8) There ought to be an explicit "save for later" sort of button at the bottom of the fourth step of creating a listing.

THis one you really don't need as it saves everything as you go and if at any point you navigate away from the page it automatically saves it into the pending auction section of my listings, so you don't have to save at any point. I mean I suppose it would be nice for a feel good button, but it really isn't needed I don't believe. Just my thoughts.

I agree they are kind of annoying but some people like them so I guess we are stuck with them... :)

Anyway hope some of that helps and look forward to more stuff from you in the future...

Bruce

I'm finding more video games to liquidate, so I decided to finally go ahead and list a couple Atari Lynx games on Chase the Chuckwagon rather than Ebay. Overall, the interface feels nicer than Ebay. The latter has an unpleasant habit of trying to do too much and forgetting about simplicity. There are a few warts though.

2) It's hard to get a complete and clear picture of what the fees are on Ebay. Not so with CtC. All the fees are listed on ONE page, are very agreeable, and simple to understand.

3) It seems impossible, or at least very hard, to create an annoying mess of an auction page. Too many sellers on Ebay do this and I wonder how they manage to sell stuff... Or do they?

These are my initial feelings on things. I'll have more to say when I see some bids, the auctions end, and when I deal with the after-the-sale stuff.

Hey Frotz-

First off, are you the one responsible for Frotz in the IPhone/Touch applications? I am guessing so, nice job if that's the case :)

To address some of your issues:

1) Not sure about this one? When you start an auction it will ask you if you want to sell a similar item. Then there is a pretty prominent gray box you click on to take you to a fresh auction page that is already filled in the way it was on the previous auction. Also, keep in mind that you can fill in default shipping/payment instructions so you don't need to do it within the auction listing every time. To do this simple click on Seller Tools in your members area, then along the right side of the page you will see some Preferences. Click the Default Shipping/Payment link to set that. Also in this tool area you can set your paypal payment address to it will then imbed a paypal button into the invoices you send your buyers. Also, there is a clever seller promotional tool in the bottom left corner of the screen titles "Lists for Promotions". This creates a sweet, clickable list of your auctions you can post in the forums you frequent to advertise your auctions. I hope this clears this one up regarding the "sell similar" function. Please try it again and see if you missed it :)

2) That is correct. Eastern Time is our official time.

3) After you list a few items you will get used to this. Essentially, once you add your photos, then the link is in the middle of the page. From there on, however, I believe it's at the lower portion of the page. The only reason is that after your photos get attached, you really don't need to scroll down. Just click the link that appears in the middle of the page right after your photos load and you will be briskly taken to the next page. It actually will seem more normal the more you list :)

4) That is correct. Once you start the auction you can't change ending time. Since you are generally not charged to list it, you could end it and then relist and adjust your ending time then. Keep in mind that you have nice freedom in choosing your ending time and date up to 10-days to run your auctions.

5) True, but nothing I can do with that now that it's all in place. Again, it gets a bit easier after a few listings are under your belt. Doesn't take to much time to cycle through the categories.

6) Unsure about this one? It is kind of there to catch something that may not have a specific category. Kind of like Ebay uses "Vintage Games". But I see what you are saying there.

7) Agreed. I will see if there is a way to implement that change in a future upgrade.

8) All unfinished listings will automatically get saved in your "Pending Listings" area under My Listings in your member page - you don't need to save it as it will do this automatically. Try it and see how it works. You will like it.

9) They are a way to promote ones auctions. Kind of like a highlighted listing for Ebay.

I hope some of these address your concerns and appreciate your input. Please feel free to join us over on the Chuckwagon forums as well. We have a specific area to discuss site suggestions and improvements.

Welcome aboard the Chuckwagon :)

Edited by Parrothead

I agree with some of your points, but if you are going to list a lot of stuff on the site the bulk uploader is the way to go. Mike is more than open to suggestions for improvement. If he likes it and it is easy to implement he will do it immediately. Unfortunately sometimes it is more difficult to implement a suggestion and can't be done. CCTW is great!

Hey Frotz-

First off, are you the one responsible for Frotz in the IPhone/Touch applications? I am guessing so, nice job if that's the case :)

To address some of your issues:

1) Not sure about this one? When you start an auction it will ask you if you want to sell a similar item. Then there is a pretty prominent gray box you click on to take you to a fresh auction page that is already filled in the way it was on the previous auction. Also, keep in mind that you can fill in default shipping/payment instructions so you don't need to do it within the auction listing every time. To do this simple click on Seller Tools in your members area, then along the right side of the page you will see some Preferences. Click the Default Shipping/Payment link to set that. Also in this tool area you can set your paypal payment address to it will then imbed a paypal button into the invoices you send your buyers. Also, there is a clever seller promotional tool in the bottom left corner of the screen titles "Lists for Promotions". This creates a sweet, clickable list of your auctions you can post in the forums you frequent to advertise your auctions. I hope this clears this one up regarding the "sell similar" function. Please try it again and see if you missed it :)

2) That is correct. Eastern Time is our official time.

3) After you list a few items you will get used to this. Essentially, once you add your photos, then the link is in the middle of the page. From there on, however, I believe it's at the lower portion of the page. The only reason is that after your photos get attached, you really don't need to scroll down. Just click the link that appears in the middle of the page right after your photos load and you will be briskly taken to the next page. It actually will seem more normal the more you list :)

4) That is correct. Once you start the auction you can't change ending time. Since you are generally not charged to list it, you could end it and then relist and adjust your ending time then. Keep in mind that you have nice freedom in choosing your ending time and date up to 10-days to run your auctions.

5) True, but nothing I can do with that now that it's all in place. Again, it gets a bit easier after a few listings are under your belt. Doesn't take to much time to cycle through the categories.

6) Unsure about this one? It is kind of there to catch something that may not have a specific category. Kind of like Ebay uses "Vintage Games". But I see what you are saying there.

7) Agreed. I will see if there is a way to implement that change in a future upgrade.

8) All unfinished listings will automatically get saved in your "Pending Listings" area under My Listings in your member page - you don't need to save it as it will do this automatically. Try it and see how it works. You will like it.

9) They are a way to promote ones auctions. Kind of like a highlighted listing for Ebay.

I hope some of these address your concerns and appreciate your input. Please feel free to join us over on the Chuckwagon forums as well. We have a specific area to discuss site suggestions and improvements.

Welcome aboard the Chuckwagon :)

I'm the one responsible for the Frotz core and the Unix and Dumb ports. I moved its webpage to Sourceforge to allow for more people to participate in its development. I have varying input on other ports, mostly limited to random questions. Until someone asked me if I did the iPhone port, I had no knowledge of it. I don't even have an iPhone or iPod touch.

1) I know about the system asking me if I want to sell something similar when I start an auction. What I'm missing is the ability to sometime after I've started an auction, then closed my browser, to click on one of my running auctions and sell something similar to that.

2) Hmm... No chance of doing time localization?

3) I still don't like it.

4) Now that I think about it, it's probably makes sense to not allow this. I can see some kinds of tomfoolery

that can be done with monkeying with ending times.

5) Is there any particular reason why this cannot be changed?

6) Under "games" there's a category for "other games" which seems to be the appropriate place for games that don't fit elsewhere. You reminded me of something else that doesn't seem to make sense. All video games are under "games": Do you really need a top-level category "vintage games"?

7) <shrug>

8) Could you do highlighting then instead?