IGNORED

5200 Centipede vs. 7800 Version.

CV Gus

That says it all.

Although the 7800 version does allow for simultaneous 2-player action, that is not too significant in 2008.

The 5200 version has better sound, and overall the graphics are better, too. It looks more like the arcade version, even if the 5200 version has a wider screen. With the trak-ball, it's really good.

My choice: the 5200 version.

(By the way- how is the 5200 Millipede?)

That says it all.

Although the 7800 version does allow for simultaneous 2-player action, that is not too significant in 2008.

The 5200 version has better sound, and overall the graphics are better, too. It looks more like the arcade version, even if the 5200 version has a wider screen. With the trak-ball, it's really good.

My choice: the 5200 version.

(By the way- how is the 5200 Millipede?)

While I can certainly agree to some extreme. I do like the 2 player version also. But yea the 5200 version is better. However I think 7800 Joust is better the 5200 Joust. Also I think Robotron on the 7800 is better then the 5200....IMO

Says who? I just got 7800 Centipede in a trade & I plan for co-op to be significant in 2013 when my boys are old enough to play it together! :)

5200 Centipede is much better. Not even close. It's easily the best home version of the era, including vs. the CV version. The trakball was a huge factor, but even the graphics seemed more like the arcade. I think the 7800 version could have looked better but they decided to go a different route and make it overly colorful and "kiddie" like (similar to the CV version as well). The 2-player simultaneous though is a major plus for the 7800, but I would much prefer single player 5200 Centipede than 7800 co-op.

Millipede is clunky, but good. Unfortunately though (to me) it doesn't flow as well with the trakball.

I realize that this is a 5200 forum, but my vote goes to the 7800 version. I like the trackball with the 5200 version, but the overall replay value goes to the 7800, it is the one I play most often.

I would agree about the negative on the 7800's more narrow screen, but disagree that the 5200 has better sound. It is a personal preference, and I like the 7800 sound slightly better. The spiders are a huge game factor, and the 7800 provides smoother, more realistic movement. However, I will concede that the mushrooms, another big part of the game, do look better on the 5200.

The player co-op on the 7800 is awesome and lots of fun with the wife and kids. It is a very "significant" feature that shouldn't be dismissed that easily.

Good comparison/discussion of a great game. Atari did an outstanding job with this game in all their releases. I like the 2600 a lot, too.

5200 Centipede is much better. Not even close. It's easily the best home version of the era, including vs. the CV version. The trakball was a huge factor, but even the graphics seemed more like the arcade. I think the 7800 version could have looked better but they decided to go a different route and make it overly colorful and "kiddie" like (similar to the CV version as well). The 2-player simultaneous though is a major plus for the 7800, but I would much prefer single player 5200 Centipede than 7800 co-op.

Millipede is clunky, but good. Unfortunately though (to me) it doesn't flow as well with the trakball.

Well, you're right about the CV version- although it could have easily looked better.

First, making a multi-colored gun, with the bullet on top (a-la Galaxian craft) would've done wonders.

As for the mushrooms- as we all know, the CV can show 2 colors/space line. Sooo-ooo-ooo-o

b=Black (background)

P=Purple

B=Blue

(oh, looky- color! I'll use it! ;) )

1bbbPPbbb

2bbPPPPbb

3bBBBBBBb

4PBBBBBBP

5PPPPPPPP

6bbbBBbbb

7bbbBBbbb

8bbbBBbbb

Of course, this is just a prototype effort, so for the actual television screen some modification may be needed.

As for the 7800 2-player option- I keep forgetting that up here it's not the same as elsewhere, where there are many more people. Sorry.

Edited by CV Gus

I realize that this is a 5200 forum, but my vote goes to the 7800 version. I like the trackball with the 5200 version, but the overall replay value goes to the 7800, it is the one I play most often.

I would agree about the negative on the 7800's more narrow screen, but disagree that the 5200 has better sound. It is a personal preference, and I like the 7800 sound slightly better. The spiders are a huge game factor, and the 7800 provides smoother, more realistic movement. However, I will concede that the mushrooms, another big part of the game, do look better on the 5200.

The player co-op on the 7800 is awesome and lots of fun with the wife and kids. It is a very "significant" feature that shouldn't be dismissed that easily.

Good comparison/discussion of a great game. Atari did an outstanding job with this game in all their releases. I like the 2600 a lot, too.

although i don't agree with your choice, and i think the 5200 with the trackball, sound, and overall look and feel of the game has the edge to the 7800, the 7800 version is one of the best games on the 7800. i like the dual player and variations the 7800 version has to offer. good stuff....

There is a trak-ball controller for the Atari 2600- would that work for the 7800 Centipede?

I am NOT a fan of the CX80 Trackball. Gameplay using the CX80 is very poor whether on the 2600 or 7800. I bought 2 of them to make sure it just wasn't a faulty trackball giving such a poor response. The 5200 Trackball, on the other hand, is outstanding. It is well made and it adds a lot of fun to Centipede, Missle Command, and other games I haven't discovered yet.

although i don't agree with your choice, and i think the 5200 with the trackball, sound, and overall look and feel of the game has the edge to the 7800, the 7800 version is one of the best games on the 7800. i like the dual player and variations the 7800 version has to offer. good stuff....

I have to confess, I am a 2600 bigot/fan/supporter/proponent. The 5200 is more of a novelty for me. I bought one because I was a big fan of the arcade version of QIX which isn't available on the 2600 or 7800. I like the 7800 mainly because it does a good job playing 2600 games and several of its arcade ports are really good (Centipede, Dig Dug, Food Fight, others come to mind).

I played the 5200 and 7800 Centipede versions again just to be sure. Yes, the 5200 version looks and sounds good. But the 7800 is more playable even against the 5200 trackball. Given my bias, I will likely not wade into the "5200 vs. 7800" comparisons.

So what I am really saying is that the best version is Millipede on the 2600.

5200 version is better by far and IMHO is the best home version of all time when played with a trakball. It plays better, sounds better and I think looks better than the 7800 version. 7800 Centipede is still a good game but the 5200 version is just better.

I like the CV version too but I wish it could use the roller controller correctly. The graphics aren't as good as the 5200 or the 7800 version but I like the gameplay on the CV version a lot.

The CX80 Trakball works just fine for 7800 Centipede & will also work on the 2600 & 8-bit systems w/ many games. Try 7800 Crossbow w/ it!

Seems to be a bit less bulky & expensive than the 5200 TB. Give me the CX80 trakball overthe 5200 model any day.

The CX80 Trakball works just fine for 7800 Centipede & will also work on the 2600 & 8-bit systems w/ many games. Try 7800 Crossbow w/ it!

Seems to be a bit less bulky & expensive than the 5200 TB. Give me the CX80 trakball overthe 5200 model any day.

But it doesn't have variable speed on the 7800 or 2600 version of Centipede. In the arcade and on the 5200, the faster you spin the ball, the quicker you move. That's why the 5200 version is best, it replicates the arcade control scheme much more accurately.

Edited by joeybastard

But it doesn't have variable speed on the 7800 or 2600 version of Centipede. In the arcade and on the 5200, the faster you spin the ball, the quicker you move. That's why the 5200 version is best, itreplicates the arcade control scheme much more accurately.

That was why Ken made the hacked version of 7800 Centipede to use the trackball in trackball mode.

But it doesn't have variable speed on the 7800 or 2600 version of Centipede. In the arcade and on the 5200, the faster you spin the ball, the quicker you move. That's why the 5200 version is best, itreplicates the arcade control scheme much more accurately.

That was why Ken made the hacked version of 7800 Centipede to use the trackball in trackball mode.

Right but if we're talking out of the box, original carts, the 7800 doesn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the 7800 version. I play it with my mom, and we both use Accuball controllers. It works fine for us.

Glad to see that I am not the only one in the AA universe that prefers the 7800 version. However, we are back to the comments of this being a favorite of the ladies.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133767

Interesting. I wonder what Frued would have to say about it (and which would be his favorite version).

• 1 month later...

I own both the 2600 and 7800 editions of Redemption 5200 and have used the CX80 Trak-Ball (combined with the superior almost telephone-quality Wico 5200 keypad hooked seperately up to Redemption 5200), and while this setup does not work on Missile Commend, Gorf, or Super Breakout (mainly because they are 100% analog and would work only with such controlers like the CX52 Joystick or the CX53 5200 Trak-Ball), it works wonders with Millipede, as well as Centipede and Crystal Castles, as they are more digital-compatible (meaning that you would have to use a self-centering stick that the CX52 stick is not), and would work fine with those three games.

Edited by BIGHMW

• 2 weeks later...

Centipede on the 5200 with my Trakball is the only reason I keep my 5200. I'm very interested in getting a hacked 7800 Millipede cart and a CX80 though, because if it is as responsive as my 5200 setup, all my 5200 stuff is for sale (I have several of them... just in case one dies)

I prefer the 5200 version, especially with the TB. Although the CX-80/CX-22 controllers don't function in actual TB mode with the 7800, 2600 and A8 versions I still find them very enjoyable using them. It is a shame that the CV port doesn't work with the Roller-Controller because that's the best feeling track-ball controller I've used. At least I can play Slither with it. :P