IGNORED

New competition for beginners

If someone is interested in Basic, Pascal, Logo or other non-machine languages can take a part in new competition - for the best game.

Rules:

- no machine language, no ML routines, but you can compile program later (and you have to deliver source listing)

- deadline: midnight of 27th of December 2008

- voting in scale from 1 (very poor game) to 10 (very good game) between 28th and 31st of December 2008

- authors can't vote for their own game

- 1st price: Hobgoblin special edition cart from xxl

- 2nd and 3rd price: two regular Atari game carts from me.

Honestly, prices are not important, do it for yourself, just for fun. If you have some started project - finish it. If you have some idea - realize it. More than 7 weeks left, enough time to die, to get rich or to... write Atari program ;).

Peek/Poke doesn't mean it's using Asm.

Not allowing them would also severely limit what could be produced.

An old trick in Atari Basic is to redefine the start and length of strings. Then, simple string manipulation can be used for such things as scrolling screens or doing PMGs.

It can't really be considered using Asm, although it can impart a huge advantage over just going by the book.

I think the initial idea of the contest is good, but there is problem to determine what means exactly "no machine language".

- is POKEing an address a use of machine language? Maybe not if change a value, but what about if you change internal routines?

- is a DLI considered a machine language? In fact, is a little ML on Basic programming. But, languages as Action!, have DLI programming without using ML.

- There are several high level languages, HOW and WHO determine the line frontier about using ML, for example CC65 has include files, that let to use ML routines, but on the main program it looks like a macro command.

- Can you use external archives?

- Is restricted to only 64K?

@Rybags

"For beginners" means we set rules for people who have never programmed before, who want to refresh knowledge about Atari programming after years and for _everyone_ who would try to write something in languages like Pascal, Basic, BrainFuck, etc - advanced coders with high-level skills too. However, people interested in competition said they prefered to not compete with high-skilled assembler coders, thus this is reason why we excluded machine language, even ML routines. Advanced programmers should show their skills without ML using :).

@Allas

I think the initial idea of the contest is good, but there is problem to determine what means exactly "no machine language".

Yes, indeed. We had problem how to precisely describe what we are interested in. I hope above description will help to understand you aim of competition: to engage beginners, to compete against Basic and other languages restrictions and finally to get fun. Try to not to pass by this rule, even it is not clear enough :).

xxl decides what is restricted, so I will pass on your questions.

OK, I got decisions from xxl:

Is this limited to "novices"?Can entries be submitted e.g. of a game you've written and already publicised ~ 20 years ago?

No, its not limited to novices.

No, can't be published game for Atari.

no ML routines
if it's Basic, that means PEEK & POKE can't be used?

PEEK i POKE can be used.

What about Utilities?

This time games only.

- is POKEing an address a use of machine language? Maybe not if change a value, but what about if you change internal routines?

It depends, aswer yourself (whatever it means - Kaz).

is a DLI considered a machine language? In fact, is a little ML on Basic programming. But, languages as Action!, have DLI programming without using ML.

xxl will verify code and judge.

- There are several high level languages, HOW and WHO determine the line frontier about using ML, for example CC65 has include files, that let to use ML routines, but on the main program it looks like a macro command.

xxl will verify code and judge.

- Can you use external archives?

If you mean fonts, graphics - yes.

- Is restricted to only 64K?

No.

Hmmm... would a port of Epyx's Sword of Fargoal count? It's written in Basic with the source code included in the manual...

You can port it. It is not a Atari program, so some effort has to be put into conversion. People will vote if they like it or not.

By the way: first entry arrived - simple game in Atari BrainFuck+ :)

Peek/Poke doesn't mean it's using Asm.

Not allowing them would also severely limit what could be produced.

An old trick in Atari Basic is to redefine the start and length of strings. Then, simple string manipulation can be used for such things as scrolling screens or doing PMGs.

It can't really be considered using Asm, although it can impart a huge advantage over just going by the book.

I think he means you can't do something like the following:

10 POKE 54286,0:POKE 559,0:POKE 54272,0

20 T=1536:A=4

30 POKE T,169:POKE T+1,A:POKE T+2,141:POKE T+3,26:POKE T+4,208

40 T=T+5:A=A+4:IF A>68 THEN A=4

50 IF T<1620 THEN 30

60 POKE T,76:POKE T+1,0:POKE T+2,6

70 D=USR(1536)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in this. Is anyone else thinking of entering :?:

I 'm going to enter one of my other games that I've worked on recently... unless anyone's got a simple idea for me to have a go at :?:

...had an idea of doing a version of the ST game KLATris but couldn't find this to look at... think it was like Stack-up but vertical blocks of three fell and you could rotate the colours... don't want to do this if there is already something out there...

The second game, after simple Refleks written in Atari BrainFuck+, has arrived. It is Parachute, port of Nintendo's game. Written in pure Turbo Basic XL this time, without assembler routines. Enjoy and remember that we will vote all games between 27th and 31st of December.

link

download

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

I did a bit of work on an early version of Gwobby's Adventure as it was still playable in it's own right...

Here is Gwobby Jr. (I Zipped the GwobbyJr.ATR file - Boot with basic)

Simply draw a path to get Gwobby safely to the exit... (hint: you can bash through the obstactles)

Have fun :D

Jason

GwobbyJr.zip

I did a bit of work on an early version of Gwobby's Adventure as it was still playable in it's own right... Here is Gwobby Jr. (I Zipped the GwobbyJr.ATR file - Boot with basic) Simply draw a path to get Gwobby safely to the exit... (hint: you can bash through the obstactles) Have fun :D Jason

Thanks Jason! Nice compo entry. Before I will announce your game on atarionline.pl webpage I would like to present another game (arrived yesterday): LarkaNOID by Arek Lubaszka (Larek).

link

download

New games for compo came yesterday:

1. The fixed version of Gwobby Jr. (you can download it from the preceding Jason's post).

2. Qwerty Masta (aka Miszcz Qwerty in Polish) by Xeen.

3. Liner! by Sikor and Miker.

You can find more details and download at this place. I'd like to anticipate questions: no, "Night Driver" is not participating in compo (this is game written in machine language). The article treats about games I received yesterday and the final version of ND was one of them.

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl