IGNORED

The 1 MB Raytracing Animation Demo

_Fandal_

Hi all!

Have you ever heard about "The 1 MB Raytracing Animation Demo"? It was written by Stefan Springer ages ago for MegaRAM III expansion (banks controlled by registers $D301 and $D600 plus independent Antic access to XMS). This week I modified it for all pure $D301 expansions (banks $Ex, $Cx, $Ax, $8x, $6x, $4x, $2x, $0x). It was tested on 1 MB expansions by Satantronic and by Pasiu (many thanks to tWh and Bob!k). Modified version can be found here. Enjoy!

F.

• Like 1

It works fine in the emulator. Just the disk numbering doesn't quite correspond. Disk 1 side 2 = disk 2, disk 2 side 1 = disk 3 etc.

Press console keys to pause the animation.

I'm guessing here it's just flipping through static frames? Would be interesting to have the same effect done in APAC or TIP.

Hello Fandal

Did you just replace the addresses used in the code? If yes, could you please tell me how often you had to change a number? My own upgrade uses the 26AE rows of banks (x1 to xF).

Greetings

Mathy

Hi!

Loader and main part of demo were completely dissasembled and compiled again. New banking was done by simple table but main part had to be relocated from $4000-$8000 memory area as the demo used independent Antic access. I think I can try to make a version for your banking but I need more information. You said that your upgrade uses banks $x1-$xF. Is this correct? I would expect $x0-$xF as you need 16 banks in four rows to have 1024 kB of XMS. Anyway, if you use LSB for banking, which bit is used for switching OS? In other words, I need to know meaning of all bits of $D301 register in your expansion.

F.

Hallo Fandal

My upgrade uses the bits 0, 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 for bankswitching.

If either bit 4 or bit 5 or both go low, the status of BASIC, Selftest, (Missile Command on the XEGS) and OS is frozen.

But the OS, BASIC, Selftest and Missile Command are still selected with the same bits as before I put the upgrade in.

Greetings

Mathy

PS my upgrade still has separate ANTIC and CPU access. Which was the main purpose of developing it.

Hallo Fandal

My upgrade uses the bits 0, 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 for bankswitching.

If either bit 4 or bit 5 or both go low, the status of BASIC, Selftest, (Missile Command on the XEGS) and OS is frozen.

But the OS, BASIC, Selftest and Missile Command are still selected with the same bits as before I put the upgrade in.

Greetings

Mathy

PS my upgrade still has separate ANTIC and CPU access. Which was the main purpose of developing it.

PM sent.

F.

• 6 years later...

Sorry for pulling that tread out of the graveyard.

Is anybody able to make a single atr file of that demo?

It would be perfect to have the demo as a single file.

Even with a Sio2SD, it is a pain in the ass to load those

single atrs. I tried it by my own to copy the disks into a 16mB,

but wether with SDX nor MyDos I could see any files. Itś an unknown

file format.

Stefan

Yes,

but converting eight 130k bootdisks into a single file will take some time and work.

You may ask Fandal if he is willing to spend this time... ;-) Guess no-one else is doing this for you.

(Besides, I do have similar raytracing animations that work with less RAM and/or are available as file-versions.)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I see. I thought, it is a single file on each disk,

that I have to copy into a folder to make it running.

That is, why I asked if someone is able to copy

it into a larger atr.

If it is more complicated, I reject my question.

Stefan

Alas,

it is more complicated. Evil as I am, I asked Fandal about it and he told me that "It would take a lot

of time and work for sure. I'm NOT going to do this. :)"