IGNORED

Fable 2 or Fallout 3?

moycon

I'm by no means an RPGer(I've been playing just GTA-like games for years), and I'm hooked on fallout 3.

I'm a big fan of RPGs (probably my favorite type of game) and Fallout 3, overall, is amazing. My biggest complaint is the rather short primary storyline. To see most of the game you need to do a ton of exploring outside of the "main path". I finished the game, but need to go back to an earlier save and see at least half the game I missed as it ended before I expected it to..

..Al

I bought Fable II on a whim and it is kinda disappointing me. I wasn't expecting anything on the scale of Fallout 3 but still.....it seems that this game isn't for some people....and I might be one of them. :(

The game is pretty lame at first PressureCooker, stick with it for a bit before writing it off entirely. I was pretty disappointed the first few hours. It picked up when the game quit holding your hand so much and just let you explore and level up. My first impression was it was pretty mundane, then I realized eventually i just wanted to keep playing. (Then my 360's broke)

Hands down, Fallout 3.

I'll be stunned if this isn't the game of the year, decade and video game history so far. I don't recall any game in the past that stuck me to the seat to the point of deep vein thrombosis! LOL! I typically never liked RPGs either but this is definitely no typical RPG. No dragons, no swords and no wizards, well there are swords but they aren't a dominant thing.. A great simulation of the world post WW3. This future, 2077 and beyond, is based on the last known good civilization in the 50s. The comical part of it all is how goofy the world turned out. Cars, screens etc. some advancements were made but technology pretty much stuck to large 50's style cars (with atomic engines), huge tesla coils/transformers with a hint of "evil jetsons" and the huge national pride of the early space programs. As a seasonal prospector, I appreciated the "prospector pork n beans" found in most places and giggled like a grade 3 kid holding in a burp in a church. As a government IT guy, I appreciated the employee bulletins on some of the primitive computers (think old DEC VT 52 or old tandy all in one) terminals as well as the insane red tape / forms discussed on some. And as a radio nut/operator I really loved the inclusion of old time tube radio devices and sound. There's a heck of a lot more I like about it but it just seems that the game was tailor made for me. I've had a lot more fun than I thought I deserved and will have more over the holidays!

If you have a deep phobia of nukes like I had all my life, then this game will make you chuckle in a sort of therapeutic sense . You can nuke a town and drop mini nukes from a satellite, fire mini nukes from a shoulder fired launcher and blow up cars you see around that contain highly volatile atomic engines(At least I think they are atomic since the explosion is much like the mini nuke).

Some pains:

There are aspects that are obvious oblivion objects but that's limited to some mushrooms, doors & rocks as far as I can tell.

The giant ants are a pain in the ass when using VATS and going for the head. Be patient and you will select the head eventually and this might only be a problem on the consoles.

You can't drive a motorcycle or a car even though there are plenty around.(as far as I know)

I'm playing it on PS3 but I'm not sure I could fully enjoy it at a pc. You want to get VERY cozy for this one.

Oblivion really took me in, too, but not 10% as much as fallout 3 has.

I'm over 100 hours in and I'm speeding through it by way of force as an extremely evil character. :) The open world sandbox is stunning and as detailed / complex as you want it to be. Sticking to the main story line, this game can be finished in a day or two. But the beauty of it is that there are gazillions of things to do outside the main plot. I'd have to estimate that this is a 250 hour game at least-if you delay the main storyline till you complete other quests and explore the HUGE world.

Get it and be entertained to death! Take frequent breaks, too!

Out of 10, I give this a 20!

Edited by Noelio

Since ya'll seem to like Fallout 3.....let me ask ya'll to try out Fallout and Fallout 2 for the PC. Those games were my fav games till Fallout 3 came out.

There's just as much depth in those games as in Fallout 3. The main storylines are much better, IMO, too. And who could forget Frank Horrigan....one of the coolest game characters ever.

Since ya'll seem to like Fallout 3.....let me ask ya'll to try out Fallout and Fallout 2 for the PC. Those games were my fav games till Fallout 3 came out.

Already tried.

For some reason, Fallout doesn't play for crap on my computer. Doesn't update the screen correctly, so all the gfx, start getting messed up, particularly the interface panel. Also, find it cumbersom to play. I really hate PC gaming.

It's a shame because I really "want" to play the first two. If for no other reason then the back-story. But with how it went so far, I don't think I'm going to waste any more time trying.

I wish they would have included 360 versions of Fallout & Fallout 2 as bonus content with Fallout 3 (kinda like how Doom3 included the original Doom). That would have been cool.

There's just as much depth in those games as in Fallout 3. The main storylines are much better, IMO, too. And who could forget Frank Horrigan....one of the coolest game characters ever.

Never finished either of these, but I do seem to remember starting Fallout a LONG time ago. Didn't get very far, though. I should see if I can get them to run inside VMWare..

..Al

Never finished either of these, but I do seem to remember starting Fallout a LONG time ago. Didn't get very far, though. I should see if I can get them to run inside VMWare..

Under XP the Win versions just might work correctly.

I have two virtual machines, one running Windows 2000 and the other running Windows XP. Haven't tried running any games in them, but I'm guessing they should run reasonably well. I don't seem to have Fallout or Fallout 2 CDs handy (I know I own at least one or both of the games), so I'll have to try to hunt those down first.

..Al

A friend of mine told me about this, looks promising really. Please note that Fallout 1 & 2 are available for ~$6 each and no DRM crap to make your life complex. :D Actually, quite a few good titles hiding in there...

Good Old Games catalog...

Hex.

[ Ponders picking up the MDK series just because I missed out way back when... ]

For some reason, Fallout doesn't play for crap on my computer. Doesn't update the screen correctly, so all the gfx, start getting messed up, particularly the interface panel. Also, find it cumbersom to play. I really hate PC gaming.

You know that you can get Fallout 1&2 DRM free and in fully XP/Vista compatible versions with free DLC extras (like the soundtracks) for $5.99 each from Good Old Games?

A friend of mine told me about this, looks promising really. Please note that Fallout 1 & 2 are available for ~$6 each and no DRM crap to make your life complex. :D Actually, quite a few good titles hiding in there...

Good Old Games catalog...

Hex.

[ Ponders picking up the MDK series just because I missed out way back when... ]

You know that you can get Fallout 1&2 DRM free and in fully XP/Vista compatible versions with free DLC extras (like the soundtracks) for $5.99 each from Good Old Games?

Good stuff, I may pick up both titles from there just to make my life easier. :)

Thanks,

..Al

Maybe this could help? Fallout 1&2 are legendary classics. :cool:

Nope. Because I'm running the Fallout Collection versions which are v1.0. Trying to use these DLL's just causes an error about wrong version, and doesn't let the game load at all.

Anywho, after a bit searching, got the v1.1 patch, and Fallout seems to work ok now.

Still don't like "how" it plays. I find the entire control scheme to be cumbersom. Don't like that it's turn based either. Then, I just don't like PC gaming much to begin with.

This is going to be really hard to get into, and honestly, I doubt I'll succeed.

I don't run XP/Vista. :P

Edited by Artlover

Haven't tried running any games in them, but I'm guessing they should run reasonably well. I don't seem to have Fallout or Fallout 2 CDs handy (I know I own at least one or both of the games), so I'll have to try to hunt those down first.

I've got an XP VM and the CDs are handy. I'll see if it works as soon as I free up some CPU time. I finally found a way to occupy all the Xeon cores in this workstation - OCR a bunch of 100MB+ Antic PDFs into searchable format at the same time. :D

Bah. Installed 1.2 patch, no difference. Tried those sfall dll's again since I had the right version now, made the problem worse.

Searching shows other people having the exact same problem. Seems to mostly effect Nvidia users. There is no real fix, just combersom work arounds. Manually setting your windows resolution and colors down, downgrading video drivers, doing a clean boot with all extra services disabled. Or running it under a virtual console set to these minimum specs. All a bunch of BS is what it is.

About the closest thing I found to a solution, is the hi-res patch. This isn't perfect either. It causes the screen to flicker once a second now (which I guess is better then all the GFX just disappearing every second), and because it increases the screen size, it makes everything much smaller and harder to see. Tho you do a lot more of the map at one time.

:x

but I'm guessing they should run reasonably well.

Installed Fallout 1&2 'humongous' (640MB LOL) installations on XP SP3 VM (DX9.0c). Autorun crashes on both, but manually running setup does the trick. Running 1.0 versions, didn't apply any patches. Audio/video seems to be fine, but remember it's running in teeny 640x480 land.

And what have we here? :D

post-5887-1229580541_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Fable yet (well, Played, but not finished) so I won't be playing 2 for a while. But I'm too hooked to Fallout 3 to do anything else right now. Awesome game, bit buggy, but being Bethesda, I expect a GOTY version with more levels and fixes to bigger bugs in the next year or so.

Now I gotta pick up fallout 1 and 2....