IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 11: Reactor

Ze_ro

I've got a couple tips/strategies.

When the reactor has the shield around it, my goal is to get as many decoys as possible. Sure, I'll dump a couple enemies into the bonus chambers for the extra points, but I focus on the control rods.

On the vortex levels, I will place a decoy near the bonus chamber for some bonus points. Otherwise, I'll just ride the vortex

On the invisible wall levels, I try to keep enemies in the bonus chambers as much as possible. As they bounce around in there, you can see the walls. Get 3 or 4 in at a time, it's almost as if the walls aren't invisible at all. :) Use that time to knock out the control rods.

Hope these tips help. This is one of my favorite games! :)

post-9712-1226702220_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm out. No way I'm going to top THAT score.

By the way, who's CH? I think you might have unwittingly stumbled upon an Easter Egg!

Wow, didn't notice that. I was playing conservatively and was having terrible luck with the bonus chamber too. I think I was on level 8 or 9 which would be something like wave 64-72. Maybe it has something to do with that.

By the way, who's CH? I think you might have unwittingly stumbled upon an Easter Egg!

Wow, didn't notice that. I was playing conservatively and was having terrible luck with the bonus chamber too. I think I was on level 8 or 9 which would be something like wave 64-72. Maybe it has something to do with that.

CH is the programmer's initials. This easter egg is mentioned here:

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26reactor.htm

Congrats on a great score! I hope to catch up to you today, sometime. :)

CH is the programmer's initials. This easter egg is mentioned here:

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26reactor.htm

Congrats on a great score! I hope to catch up to you today, sometime. :)

Thanks. I fully expect you to catch up with me soon. This is just estimate of course but I'd say I lost about 20-30k points from just not having any luck getting the particles in the chamber. It was a survivalist game for sure. I'm busy tonight and tomorrow but Monday, I strive for 500k.

Since my last post, I played a couple games starting at level 3, so I could practice riding the vortex. This is my first try since the practice sessions. My strategy was to ride the vortex and collect, but not use any of the decoys. When you get good at it, riding the vortex is much safer that being outside it... and when I lost all my lives the bonus points from spare decoys got me to the next 10,000 point mark twice.

I'm done for tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I can break 100K.

post-17553-1226805560_thumb.png

Since my last post, I played a couple games starting at level 3, so I could practice riding the vortex. This is my first try since the practice sessions. My strategy was to ride the vortex and collect, but not use any of the decoys. When you get good at it, riding the vortex is much safer that being outside it... and when I lost all my lives the bonus points from spare decoys got me to the next 10,000 point mark twice.

I'm done for tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I can break 100K.

post-17553-1226805560_thumb.png

I don't think it's possible to ever be good at it, you just start to die less :) Nothing changes after you finish the 4th level, just the same invisible wall vortex over and over so practicing is an excellent idea. Get that down and then it's just hang on til you croak. Good luck

I don't think it's possible to ever be good at it, you just start to die less :) Nothing changes after you finish the 4th level, just the same invisible wall vortex over and over so practicing is an excellent idea. Get that down and then it's just hang on til you croak. Good luck

Well, I can deal with dying less. ;) Thanks!

I just tried it out my new Stelladaptor with this game and scored a cool 95K and change. It's nice to not have to run upstairs to play. Now I can play with a real stick on the comfort of my own couch. :)

Exactly! I do the same thing, so that I don't have to sit downstairs and play...not that I have Reactor anyway... :) The Stelladaptor is the greatest invention since the laptop computer and VCS emulation... not to mention the entire reason I discovered AtariAge!