IGNORED

Mac MAME...does it even work?

sidcrowe

I have never been able to get MAME to work on my old G3. But, now, with my Mac Mini core solo Intel chip, with Mac OSX 10.4.5, it seems I still can't get the darn thing to work.

I downloaded a MacMAME that requires OSX 10.2. Fine, I have better than that.

I got five games, and followed the directions, put them in the ROM folder, as instructed. Quit. Restart. Select. Play. Won't work. Tried all the rest, won't work :x

I searched here, and only found this thread, from 2003:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=macmame

So, is there anybody here who can tell me where to get a MacMAME that works, or, do they have something that works for them, or whatever :?

MacMame is sadly no longer in development. Check out "Mame OS X". Works well with currently hardware. Make sure to turn on OpenGL rendering in the prefs for a hefty speed up.

OH oh oh oh, I wasn't aware of this, thanks!!! I knew MacMAME was long dead, so I'm glad to hear that someone else has picked up the OS X torch. :D

http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/

..Al

Dowloaded...opened. Got a TON of games to go with it. It did an audit for about 20 minutes of all the games.

Select. Try it. I get error messages. For all of them.

Are the games all bad? I tried to add one I had, and where does it go? The folder rejects it.

Can anybody still wanna help :?

post-5841-1226803419_thumb.png

post-5841-1226803469_thumb.png

post-5841-1226803489_thumb.png

A lot of ROMs have changed, so it's more than likely you'll have to update them. MAWs has a list of ROMs needed for each version of MAME (but not the actual ROMs themselves).

I haven't kept up on either MAME OS X or SDLMAME. Both are considered replacements for MacMAME. The support forums for them are up where the old MacMAME forum was.

Edit: The second error you're getting ("MAME OS X cannot be modified") looks like it's because you're trying to run MAME OS X from the disk image. You need to copy the app to your hard drive.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Nathan: I appreciate you sending me to the support forum, but that place is a bit of a mess. I did read some of it, though, and it seems that MacMame, MameOSX whatever just doesn't work.

I have the computer, I download it...it doesn't work. They're talking about clones and parents and stuff and I can't figure it all out. The MameOSX website does not offer a step-by-step guide to making it work. I don't know why anybody would create it, if it's so hard to use.

I did copy the app to my hard drive, opened it, and it doesn't work. I copied the whole folder thing, and tried to add games to it, and it rejects them, right from the hard drive. I'll wait for a couple more responses and go back to ignoring MAME for Mac. If I want those games, I gotta get a PC like everybody else :/

Thanks anyway, though :)

For some reason, it indexes every ROM you could have, not just those you actually do have. So, just launch those actually present. If you Google it, you'll find a helper app for it about three links down. Sorry I can't be of more help right now but I'm away from my main machine.

It works fine here. I just tried the MAMEOSX download from Sourceforge on my MBP17 (10.5.5). Make sure your ROM zip files for the games you wish to play are stored where it can find them. It defaults to looking in '${HOME}/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X/ROMs' which isn't real convenient. From the Preferences menu you can set the paths as you wish.

Edited by remowilliams

I have the computer, I download it...it doesn't work. They're talking about clones and parents and stuff and I can't figure it all out. The MameOSX website does not offer a step-by-step guide to making it work. I don't know why anybody would create it, if it's so hard to use.

Well I hate to disparage anyone's work, but this is precisely why I gave up on MAME after MacMAME bit the dust. I used to run MacMAME.net, moderated the MacMAME message board, helped with the documentation and so on. But I found the post-MacMAME variants of MAME so user-unfriendly relative to MacMAME, I simply didn't want to deal with them. I still have a half-working version of MacMAME left, but nothing up-to-date. It'd be nice if someone put together a really good website about getting MAME to run on a Mac now, but I'm afraid it won't be me.

That said, I can tell you this much: parents are the "master" set of ROMs for a given game. Many games saw numerous variations and revisions over their lives for various reasons (different copyright information for licensees, bug fixes, alternate maze/level layouts, illegal bootlegs, etc.), so the parent is what's considered the definitive version of that game. It contains all the ROMs needed to play that variation. A clone is one of the other variations, and generally only contains the ROMs that differ from the parent set. So clones are useless without their parents. They must have the parent set present in order to work. MAME will recognize these sets accordingly, if the ROMs are named properly and are put in the ROMs folder where it can find them, and it will use the ROMs it needs for a given parent or clone automatically.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Well I hate to disparage anyone's work, but this is precisely why I gave up on MAME after MacMAME bit the dust. I used to run MacMAME.net, moderated the MacMAME message board, helped with the documentation and so on. But I found the post-MacMAME variants of MAME so user-unfriendly relative to MacMAME, I simply didn't want to deal with them. I still have a half-working version of MacMAME left, but nothing up-to-date. It'd be nice if someone put together a really good website about getting MAME to run on a Mac now, but I'm afraid it won't be me.

That said, I can tell you this much: parents are the "master" set of ROMs for a given game. Many games saw numerous variations and revisions over their lives for various reasons (different copyright information for licensees, bug fixes, alternate maze/level layouts, illegal bootlegs, etc.), so the parent is what's considered the definitive version of that game. It contains all the ROMs needed to play that variation. A clone is one of the other variations, and generally only contains the ROMs that differ from the parent set. So clones are useless without their parents. They must have the parent set present in order to work. MAME will recognize these sets accordingly, if the ROMs are named properly and are put in the ROMs folder where it can find them, and it will use the ROMs it needs for a given parent or clone automatically.

There are builds for MAME OS-X of SDLMAME, which is an SDL version of the baseline Windows MAME and kept up to date by R. Belmont and others. It's command-line/console driven - so you'd need to do some typing unless you pick up a simple front-end.

Roni keeps a PPC build of MAME OS-X up to date for use. There is also a link to a capable front-end (MAMETunes).

http://sdlmame.parodius.com

Won't work :(

It looks like your problem may be (as Nathan pointed out earlier) that you are using split roms, but missing the parents for the set. docastlo and mooncrsb are children alternate sets of their respective parents 'docastle' and 'mooncrst'

Often if you do not have the parents, and just have the alternates - you will be missing files and will not be able to run the game.

In the 1st picture it's telling you to look at the Log to see what went wrong. Have you done that? To view the Log select the 4th option in the Window menu.

post-3056-1226869997_thumb.pngpost-3056-1226870003_thumb.png

On your 2nd picture, the ALL that's blue denotes that you're looking at all the games that Mame OS X supports. It doesn't mean you have the ROMs for them. Click on the GOOD tab and you'll see the games that it can find the valid ROMS for.

post-3056-1226870010_thumb.png

Well, there's 10 games in my ROMs folder, which is in the mame foler, in my application support, in my library.

No good games show up. I do a "refresh" and they don't show up. I search for them, and they don't show up, and I did a search and there is only one "roms" folder, and that's the one in the mame thing.

Dunno what to do :(

post-5841-1226876619_thumb.jpg

Just read the "parent sets" comment. So, this website, with all these ROMs...

http://www.rom-world.com/

...it's useless?

I went to the preferences, and for "disk images, samples, and artwork," I switched those all the "ROMs" too. Hit refresh, did a search...didn't work.

So...what's the point of this? There are websites with loads of ROMs, but there are no parent ROMs to go with them? What are you supposed to do, then?

Is there a website which offers ROMs that are the parents...which have parents...ARRRGH! I don't even know what to ask for!

:x

Edited by sidcrowe

Did you read remowilliams' reply?

docastlo and mooncrsb are children alternate sets of their respective parents 'docastle' and 'mooncrst'

I typed docastle in the search box on the site you listed and it came right up with a file for Mr. Do's Castle (set 1). Downloaded it and placed the ZIP file in the ROMs directory, ran an audit on the games and it worked when I selected Mr. Do's Castle (set 1) from the list.

On my Mac the ROMs are stored in: My Home Directory/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X/ROMs

TIP: type castle in MAME OS X's search box in the top-right corner so you don't have to scroll through the whole list.

Edited by SpiceWare

Is there a website which offers ROMs that are the parents...which have parents...ARRRGH! I don't even know what to ask for!

Check out MAWS. Type in docastlo in the search box. Scroll down when you get the results and right below the screenshot you'll see a Rating followed by a listing of parents and clones. Click on the parent, Mr. Do's Castle (set 1), and it'll take you to the page for the parent where you can see that it's setname is docastle.

MAWS doesn't have the ROMs, but it'll help you figure out what's a parent and clone.

Edited by SpiceWare