IGNORED

Mac MAME...does it even work?

sidcrowe

Yeah, it works!

I did this: "I typed docastle in the search box on the site you listed and it came right up with a file for Mr. Do's Castle (set 1). Downloaded it and placed the ZIP file in the ROMs directory, ran an audit on the games and it worked when I selected Mr. Do's Castle (set 1) from the list."

And it worked. I guess I got lucky with the Mr. Do you offered. I also went to the preferences and pointed EVERYTHING at the ROMs folder...dunno if it helped or not, but it worked ;)

I went back there, hunting for more games, and many of them so far, don't work. I also can't seem to get the sound working on Star Castle or Armor Attack. But, Phoenix worked, and so did 1942, and another old fave, The End.

Well, MAMEOSX is working, not perfectly, but it's working. That giant list it comes with is a pain. I can't say for sure what made it start up, as after Mr. Do worked, then 1942 worked, too, afterwards :?

Thanks to everybody here :)

It's still really user unfriendly :P

post-5841-1226993706_thumb.png

post-5841-1226993738_thumb.png

I went back there, hunting for more games, and many of them so far, don't work. I also can't seem to get the sound working on Star Castle or Armor Attack.

A number of games, including those two, require digitized sound samples from the original arcade games. The audio circuitry isn't emulated yet.

Samples are available here: http://www.mameworld.net/samples/

Download the ones you want, and drop the zip files into the Sound Samples folder for MAME OS X.

I also went to the preferences and pointed EVERYTHING at the ROMs folder...dunno if it helped or not, but it worked ;)

You need to put those prefs back, you'll have even more problems if you don't when you go to add the sound samples that Nathan directed you to. The Disk Image Directory is for games that had a hard drive. I've tried a few of those but performance wasn't all that great on my 2GHz Core Duo MacBook. I plan to try those games again when the 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro I ordered yesterday shows up. I've never added Artwork, though I suspect that's where the overlay for Warrior would go. Warrior bounces the vector graphics off a partially see-thru mirror. When you look at the game you see the reflection and the hand drawn background graphics, without which the game would be difficult to play as you wouldn't know where the stairs and pits were located.

post-3056-1227017654_thumb.png

That giant list it comes with is a pain.

There's 3 tabs to show the games.

ALL - all games, even if you don't have all the ROMs

GOOD - games that have valid ROMs

FAVORITES - your favorite games (even if they don't have valid ROMs).

So besides using the SEARCH in the top-right corner of the window, you can denote which games are your favorites and get a very short list of games to look at by clicking on the Favorites tab. To set a game as a favorite, select the game in the list (on either the ALL or GOOD tab) and hit the big red heart in the toolbar. Any game tagged that way will show up on the FAVORITES tab.

It's still really user unfriendly :P

yep, that it is.

I've never had a problem with MacMAME, and I didn't know about MacMAME OS X until just now. I tried to dl it, but the .dmg won't download (I'll try again later, I didn't try too hard).

BUT, the reason I'm posting... to get all the ROMs, Google for "MAME burners". Volunteers will burn you a set of current MAME ROM sets in their entirety for the cost of shipping and the discs. Or you can mail them discs. It's very inexpensive. Some of them even offer other ROM sets. About a year ago, I got current MAME and current sets of about every other old platform in existence. It's the way to go. Then you don't have to worry about all that missing ROMs nonsense... they're just all there.

I have an old PC set up to use with MAME32, even though I use a Mac in everyday life. This way, I can have my arcade controls hooked up to it, and don't have to clutter up my good Macs with all that emulation stuff... emulation really is much better and easier on Windows due to there being so many more (and updated) emulators for it. Which is unfortunate because I can't think of anything else other than gaming that Windows is good for (that was a personal opinion).

Okay, more errands to go and do...but I have changed the preferences back and will try those sound samples.

Getting a disc with everything sounds good, too :)

I went here, for another old chestnut, and none of these version so Bump n' Jump work:

http://www.rom-world.com/search/?q=bump&am...&submit.y=0

I still don't know what made it suddenly work :/

Errands, will talk later...thanks again...this thread will be helpful to other Mac users and MAME noobs. Ah, Star Castle...if only there was a Cinematronics disc done by Digital Eclipse.

Nathan: The sound samples for Armor Attack worked, but not the ones for Star Castle.

Bakasama: Are you saying you wrote it?

SpiceWare: Thanks for those tips.

Mirage: Thanks.

NE146: Thanks. Gimme a bit to figure out which ones I want.

This community makes me feel all warm and fuzzy:)

Bakasama: Are you saying you wrote it?

I didn't write MAME OS X. However, I do know the programmer does know that his program is a bit user unfriendly since he got many complaints about it. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon because he's busy with making MAME OS X work.

Edited by Bakasama

Mame OS X actually is quite a decent port... All you need is a good romset and you're off !

you can try romburners (preferably) (or try to register @ http://full.pleasuredome.org.uk/ or http://www.underground-gamer.com/ )

just make sure you get a romversion as close as possible to the version of mame you're using

and I'd be happy to put up some roms for you, just shoot me a pm.

Edited by dgo