IGNORED

Did you love the first game you got for your 2600?

Godzilla

Well, after reading through the thread and feeling many sentimental pangs as I hear similar tales from other folk'n, I'd say that the answer is a resounding yes (something above 90% of responses,) to the 'did ya love yer first, love it true?' question. :)

Is there ever anything like your first love? I bet that is what fuels love of the kids of today for whatever their first was. (nes/genesis/saturn/dreamcast/xbox/360/etc.) will eventually be their nostalgia fueled love....

I was one of those people who bought the console and Space Invaders at the same time. Yep, I loved it.

Ditto. Got my first Atari for my birthday JUST to be able to play Space Invaders at home. Still think it's one of the best 20 or so games ever made for the 2600.

Growing up, my family had an arcade amusement service business. Pinball and video games all over the house, garage and basement. We usually couldn't keep the latest arcades in stock for long, so as a result, I wanted an Atari 2600 to play Donkey Kong. Combat was the pack-in at the time and DK was something like $40-$50. Considering the 2600 cost $150-$200, that was TONS of money back then. Especially when your parents thought and knew the Atari was cheesy and a complete waste of money relative to the real arcades. I begged and begged and finally got 'em to give in one Christmas. The absolute only way I was able to manage that was because I convinced them ALL I wanted was Combat and DK. I didn't "need" any more games. They were worried I'd be wasting money on silly cartridges... and alas they were right! It was the beginning of the end of my ability to save any real sums of money from that point on. Whenever I got a little cash for doing chores or helping my Dad out, I'd want to blow it on an Atari game. I remember about how many games I reached until I packed the Atari into retirement in the mid 80's. About 30 of em or so and they all fit inside of a Trivial Pursuit box.

Anyway - my "love" for 2600 DK is the single largest reason I wanted that system. Yes, it sucked compared to the arcade, but it was still DK and I was always able to appreciate it for what it was. My brother and I enjoyed the heck out of Combat as well. Great times those were, blowing each other up until the wee hours of the morn! lol

My first two carts were Super Baseball and Donkey Kong. I received them with my 2600 Jr. for Christmas 1987. I loved both of those games... especially Super Baseball. I used the Detroit Tigers roster and I would make lineup cards, track statistics, and kept score for my games. I had binders of this stuff.

man, i used to do that with some nes baseball game. (maybe rbi baseball, or baseball stars.) and i also would record video of the games of the vcr, and do commentary with a cassette deck. too bad we didn't have youtube back then.

The first game we got came a day or two after we got the 2600 from what I remember.

It twas Breakout, and while yes I liked the game...I wouldn't say loved the game, mainly because I had already played it to death on my Coleco stand-alone breakout/pinball system. The next game we got Space Invaders I loved much better.

I got Combat (of course) and Asteroids and Outlaw. Loved Asteroids and played it all the time. When I played Outlaw with my dad it was great fun, but like combat, outlaw sucks without a second player.

Have you checked out GunFight yet!

AA Store linky

Alternatively, if you have an Odyssey 2, the Showdown game has a one player mode, though the single player isn't quite as good as Outlaw.

Wow.

I really can't remember what my first game was. It must have been Combat. And, yeah, it was never my favorite.

I don't remember what my first "must have game" was. I had played most of the "killer titles" at friends houses and it was probably my own copy of one of those. Adventure seems likely, although Haunted House was another early favorite (and I can clearly remember that, as well as that my mom bought it for me at the local "Rayley's" supermarket, which sold Atari games at the peak of the hype - and that I could not WAIT to get home from shopping that day). Defender was another title that I really dug when I got and spent countless hours on. The Supercharger - I got for one Christmas, and I loved those titles too, especially DragonStomper and Maze of the Mindmaster. Wizard of War was a big one back then, too. Berzerk, too. Imagic and Activision were also putting out the must have titles at the time - Pitfall and Demon Attack. I think I got my 2600 in 1980.

But honestly, I can't remember what my first title was beyond the pack in - and looking back, I like the 5200 titles much better - they're my nostalgia sweet spot for Atari titles.