IGNORED

Shatterhand - Season 4 Week 17

vdub_bobby

From a coin-op classic to a side-scrolling, punch-throwing NES original! Let's play Shatterhand!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point. No continues - only games played from the beginning count!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

This week's competition ends in a weekish on Friday (Nov 28th) at approximately evening sometime PST.

This week's scores:

198,800 Jess Ragan (+10 pts +1 pt for best tip)

58,000 darthkur (+8 pts)

49,450 vdub_bobby (+6 pts)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

105,750 Eric Cummings

Standings

1. darkthur (130 pts)

2. LarcenTyler (71 pts)

3. Wickeycolumbus (70 pts)

4. vdub_bobby (58 pts)

5. aikainnet (20 pts)

5. RJ (20 pts)

7. shadow460 (11 pts)

8. atari2600land (10 pts)

9. Atari5200 (8 pts)

10. figgler (8 pts)

11. Shannon (4 pts)

11. Jibbajaba (4 pts)

11. gdement (4 pts)

11. ClassicGMR (4 pts)

15. ratfink (2 pts)

Game Info

A NES original released in 1991 by Jaleco.

Other platforms: None.

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: None.

Tips

Jess Ragan:

* Collecting the Greek letters in each stage lets you build a droid sidekick, but many of them are pretty useless. The best one I've found is Alpha-Beta-Beta, which shoots energy blasts that bounce around the playfield. This makes the game feel a little more like Mega Man and lets you hit enemies from a safe distance, and at angles.

* You can use the droids as shields, but don't depend on this too often! They'll die quickly, and the only way I've found to restore their energy is to collect the same sequence of letters you used to build them. By the way, if you build a droid and manage to collect the same series of letters (for instance, A-B-B then A-B-B), the droid forms a protective shell around you for fifteen seconds. You also get a powerful laser beam, so go nuts!

* The screens don't permascroll, so if you find a shop platform with an item you really need but don't have the money for it, farm for some and return to that spot later. Also, there doesn't appear to be any time limit, so feel free to farm for coins as long as you'd like.

* Some item boxes contain grenades! Keep a safe distance from them when you punch them... that way, you can escape unharmed if you find a nasty surprise inside.

Me:

go slow! Since your weapon (your fist) is so shortrange, you really have to have be nimble to avoid dying, so go slow and plan your next move.
Edited by vdub_bobby

Just a quick note about the score:

You can see your score during the game by pausing and when your game is over it will show your score (and the high score) indefinitely.

So you won't need lightning reflexes and a photographic memory to see your score (for once)! :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

That's all I got. I was able to make it through about half the game before I got dusted in the gravity chamber. There were a lot of close calls before that, though... there was a wall clinging monster in another stage that reduced my energy down to one point. I thought for sure I was finished, but then I noticed a pattern in his movement and was able to finish him off after about a minute of nail-biting fighting.

Anyway, here's a few tips for Shatterhand players:

* Collecting the Greek letters in each stage lets you build a droid sidekick, but many of them are pretty useless. The best one I've found is Alpha-Beta-Beta, which shoots energy blasts that bounce around the playfield. This makes the game feel a little more like Mega Man and lets you hit enemies from a safe distance, and at angles.

* You can use the droids as shields, but don't depend on this too often! They'll die quickly, and the only way I've found to restore their energy is to collect the same sequence of letters you used to build them. By the way, if you build a droid and manage to collect the same series of letters (for instance, A-B-B then A-B-B), the droid forms a protective shell around you for fifteen seconds. You also get a powerful laser beam, so go nuts!

* The screens don't permascroll, so if you find a shop platform with an item you really need but don't have the money for it, farm for some and return to that spot later. Also, there doesn't appear to be any time limit, so feel free to farm for coins as long as you'd like.

* Some item boxes contain grenades! Keep a safe distance from them when you punch them... that way, you can escape unharmed if you find a nasty surprise inside.

post-393-1227395250_thumb.png