IGNORED

5200 River Raid

J-DEE

Ive only played the 5200 version very little. It did not seem that much different. One thing I have to say, the analog stick of the 5200 makes this game very hard to control.

A lot of 5200 games are the same as 2600 games, with more "polish". Keystone kapers is a good example. Same game. Better graphics, and there is music. To me, it's much more enjoyable than the 2600 version.

Same with Megamania.

Than there are games like Berzerk and Centipede. The 5200 versions blow the 2600 versions out of the water.

Charlie

Charlie

My thoughts. I am one of the biggest River Raid fans ever, by the way. I simply love the game, and here's the proof (sorry to hit you with yet ANOTHER SPAM link to my old site, but you might want to read it!)

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/riverraid.html

That little review is mostly about the 2600 version, but it comments on difference between the Atari 8bit/5200 versions (the same thing) vs the 2600 version.

Anway, 5200 River Raid. First of all, in my 2-port 5200 machine, it is difficult to get any Activision carts to boot up. They are simply very loose & wobbly in the slot and I have to find the 'sweet spot' to get the game to boot up. Not sure if they work better on a 4-port or not. So if you do get the game & experience this problem, keep at it until you understand how to get it to boot.

The game itself? Much improved on 5200. This is the TRUE River Raid II, not that utterly awful 2600 game by that name. The shoreline is jagged with two colors (you can fly over the brown color w/out dying). There are more enemies, includine the wonderful tanks. The tanks add SO MUCH to the enjoyment of the game, to me.

Control -- it's not good on the 5200, but you can get used to it. River Raid was great using a 2600 stick, but the 5200 version has true analog control, so you have to get used to it. Sometimes, its difficult to fly straight up a narrow, jagged corridor. But like I said, I've adjusted to it. If that stick would only CENTER automatically, the analog controls would have actually improved the game! For example, you can press gently to the left and slowly arc towards the left, with much more control than using the tap-tap-tap left as in the 2600 version. This is why I feel the Atari 8bit version is the best version of River Raid -- it retains the digital 2600 stick control yet all the improvements of the 5200 version.

I say you ought to get it. You should be able to find it for $5 online!

Cafeman,

You convinced me. I will put it on my list. It looks like we have the same tastes. Are there any other games that you think are must haves? I guess I should read more of your reviews.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: J-DEE ]

Hehe, indeed. I've gone to great lengths to get the timing right... get into the perfect position... and then let the missile fly! Two for one, bridge and tank.

Personally, I love this version, though I must admit when I first played it I wasn't that impressed. The game definitely grows on you.

It's quite important to get into the habit of being careful with the stick. You've got to keep it centered or you'll find yourself doing the lawn dart routine into the river bank with your jet.

- FH -

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Fourth Horseman ]

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you are correct, and so am I. what?!

Allow me to specify. Computer Random numbers are not really random. They are some mixed up calculation based on a 'base'. If the base never changes, then the same random number combinations will always pump out in order. If you change the 'base' , such as making it the current time's second counter (IE, a value from 00 to :59 depending what time was on the internal clock), then thats a way to pretty much always get random results.

I read that Carol Shaw and Activision generate the terrain by some kind of controlled random number routine. However, the terrain gets more difficult (narrower) so there must be some ways they tweak it from bridge to bridge.

Anyway, it a good chance that the levels might repeat after 255 of them, if you could ever actually get that far, but there's also a good chance the levels could repeat before that.

Does anyone else want to add something a little more factual and/or intelligent than what I've blurted out here?

(_)3

First, A quote from Carol Shaw in a interview in Electronic Fun With Computers & Games (September 1983 issue):

"That's the thing about RIVER RAID. There is no end. It goes on forever. We call it the River of No Return. Another thing, it's always different. In the original game, you could go up to one million points, and we actually had a few people who succeeded in getting that high score. This time we decided to make it 10 million points[refering to the Atari home computer version]. Also, the 800 version gets a lot harder than the original one does."

The River of No Return . I like that!

Some technical aspects of RR were discussed in:

End to RR

RR 2600 Patch

Click the "View complete thread" in Google to read the entire discussion.