IGNORED

Atari 2600 Skeleton Released

Albert

/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2363Eric Ball has released a new Atari 2600 3D maze game that you can download and try, titled Skeleton. In order to escape this labyrinth you need to hunt down and eliminate 80 skeletons lurking about without being killed yourself! There are eight mazes, with each maze containing 10 skeletons. Complete all eight mazes and you'll gain your freedom!. You can look at screenshots and download the binary here. Enjoy!

Update: Eric has released Skeleton version 1.1, which fixes a problem with scrolling on the title screen for those of you running the game on a real 2600. You can get the new version here.

Very impressive. Very fun and challenging! (Plus, it's got a horror bent to it that I find....cool.)

I certainly hope Eric is making arrangements to have this available on a cart! I'd love to be able to play this on a real console! (Emulators are OK, but there's something about that nice chunky Atari cart.)

I am thrilled that everyone is enjoying my creation. And I read you loud and clear that you want an actual cartridge version. For those of you that want cartridges, I have a few questions:

1. Where do you buy your homebrews?

2. How much would you be willing to pay for an actual cartridge?

3. Plain or fancy? And what sort of fancies?

However, before I allow Skeleton to be offered I want to make sure there aren't any bugs still lurking in the code. Wouldn't want people to buy a flawed product.

1. Hozer Video (or Junies Creations if they were active)

2. in the realm of $20 (but NOT $30+)

3. Somekind of label, and some kind of manual Neither of these need be fancy, but they will help the cart stand out.

Usually its fun to hold a label design contest here and let the Artsy Fartsy types battle it out. This ALWAYS brings out a nice label and gives us something to salivate about while we wait for the game!

This is a mega-cool game, I'd LOVE to add it to my collection!

Thanks

Excited Stan :D

While Hozer Video has been the only source for many games in the past, we would like to announce that we are offering cart building and selling services for any homebrew titles, including this one. We have some titles available in our store already, with more to come.

So, if you would like to see this or any other game sold at AtariAge, please say so in this thread. We would love your support! :)

Let me just add to Alex's post and say that we are using this as a means to help support AtariAge, as opposed to methods like placing banner ads on the site, or making some sort of subscription service (blech). We are going to be producing carts with very high quality labels and manuals, and in some cases will be producing boxes. We will also gladly sell homebrew games made by others, for authors who prefer to go that route. Also, we'll have a new online store up in a month or two with a sophisticated shopping cart and lots of really cool features. :)

..Al

@the Al's - the skeleton link in the first post links to the forum index :?

Thank you, kind sir. I have fixed it. Much less painful editing messages on this new server. :)

This game rocks! sort of a cross between 3D Monster Maze on the ZX Spectrum and The Bards Tale on the C64, heaven 8)  |:)

Yes, this is another game that can scare the pants off you (like Haunted House). When I was playing it earlier today I jumped when I turned a corner and the Skeleton was right there, facing me! Must play at night..

..Al

@the Al's - the skeleton link in the first post links to the forum index :?

Thank you, kind sir. I have fixed it. Much less painful editing messages on this new server. :)

This game rocks! sort of a cross between 3D Monster Maze on the ZX Spectrum and The Bards Tale on the C64, heaven 8)  |:)

Yes, this is another game that can scare the pants off you (like Haunted House). When I was playing it earlier today I jumped when I turned a corner and the Skeleton was right there, facing me! Must play at night..

..Al

The Skeleton link in the news item on your front page links to http://www.atariage.com/ as well ! :roll: ;)

The lead story on the front page says that there are 80 "SPIDERS" in the maze.  I think this is meant to be SKELETONS instead as I have thoroughly explored the first maze and have yet to see any SPIDERS.

It was just a ploy to get you to play the game, Spidey. :) I must have been sleeping when I wrote up that news item this morning!

..Al

I just finished playing Skeleton on the Cuttle Cart. Very impressive! One problem: The intro screen "SKELETON BY ERIC BALL" scrolls on the Cuttle. The game and ending screen "GOT YOU" does not. This does not happen when I tried it on Z26 emulation. I loaded it up three times both fast and slow via playbin and the bug persisted. Has anyone burned an EPROM and tried it out? Eric could you look at this?

Also a compass detail or NSEW would be helpful .. but not necessary.

This is truely a great 2600 game! Thanks!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA