IGNORED

Star Ship Label variation. . .

Starhopper

:ponder:

Here's one that may have been asked before, but I can't find reference to it...

I have a couple of Star Ship carts. They are both the large yellow text labels, but the end labels are different. One is yellow, one is white. At first, I thought it might just be faded, but normally you see some type of color left behind, or the black background would be sort of reddened. Both end labels have the same label ID number engraved in them.

Ideas?

My first guess is they just happened to run out of ink when printing the end labels, and some got through with no yellow. Interesting, but I doubt it's an intended label variation if the yellow is present as normal on the main label. As such, this isn't a variation I'd have any interest in seeking out, but if I had it, I'd probably keep it. (Could be faded though... the glossier ones don't tend to fade in the black as much as say the Sears ones that fade if they hit daylight for more than 8.5 seconds).

I have a Atari red label version. Too bad the end label is missing. :( It's one of my favorite games. :) Is there a hi-score page with it included somewhere? I wanna know if anyone has got past 59 points on game #1. I just can't get past 59 points before time runs out. :x
I recall only one other person on this forum who publicly expressed their appreciation for this game.

Twin Galaxies has high score entries for games 4, 11, and 14, but not game 1.

Edited by Christophero Sly

I have a Atari red label version. Too bad the end label is missing. :( It's one of my favorite games. :) Is there a hi-score page with it included somewhere? I wanna know if anyone has got past 59 points on game #1. I just can't get past 59 points before time runs out. :x
I recall only one other person on this forum who publicly expressed their appreciation for this game.

Hahaha!lol

Yeah,,, I know it is a simple game. But way back in the day (1978, two years before I got my own 2600), I used to get to play it at my friends house.(He had a tele-games h-6) And his parent's had just got a brand new 'solid state' 21" RCA color TV. We would turn the brightness down and contrast way up and I thought it was the greatest thing in the world, next to haveing a coin-op at home! :)

I also like Star Ship! Especially the "Alien" and the quirky sound fx. Playing this game is like meditation to me. :D

As I've said before, the beauty of the older games is the actual game play. We didn't have those awesome graphics, so we had to get by on actual content! I'll take old, blocky graphics and quirky sound effects any day over a game with no plot or point. :cool:

Who might that be... :ponder: :)

Although I've toned down my love of Star Ship/Outer Space around here for some time, I will brag that I've scored 80 on game 4 once.

I think there is a higher scoring potential on the fast games (such as 4) since the enemies, provided you can hit them, come at you faster and therefore appear more frequently and rapidly. Even if you get two asteroid clusters, they'll pass quickly and be replaced by, hopefully, point-yielding laser fodder. If you get an asteroid on a slow game, you're stuck with it for a while...and since there are only two "enemy space objects" on screen at a time, the longer an asteroid is onscreen, the longer it hogs the place of something that's worth points. Two of them, and you've just gone 10 or 15 scoreless seconds...a big chunk of game time.