IGNORED

Another Reason I don't shop at GameStop

Mendon

I've made my feelings known before about my strong dislike of GameStop policies and that I haven't shopped there in years.

Well, I just found another reason: my son made an online pre-order for in-store pickup of Lord of the Rings: Conquest for the Xbox360. He Emailed me a copy of his reservation receipt and contained within his receipt was the following paragraph:

"Please pickup your product within 48 hours of store arrival. If the product is not picked up within 48 hours, you authorize us to charge a $5.00 fee to the credit card you provide, to cover the cost of shipping and handling to the store."

So, lets see if I have this right: A new game (not a special order) is going to arrive on GameStop shelves. You go online and ask them to contact a particular store to hold one copy of this new game for you. You give the website a credit card number as proof you want the game, but are told that no charges will be placed on the card by the website and that payment for the game is in-store. And then, after placing your request, you are informed that if you decide, for whatever reason, to not pick the game up at the store, that your credit card will be charged a $5.00 fee for shipping and handling of a game that was being shipped to the store anyway. Well, what do ya know!

And they give you a time limit to pick the item up or charge you $5.00?? You are not allowed to change your mind on making a purchase without incurring a $5.00 shipping and handling fee?? Does this $5.00 shipping and handling fee also include any pre-order you make within a store, i.e. you put $5 down on a game but lose it if you fail to pick the game up within 48 hours??

Unbelieveable!

Mendon

It's like they're trying to find ways to lose customers. Judging by their policies, you'd think they were the only place in America to buy games!

That's what blows my mind. People still shop there in droves. You can buy new games anywhere, and you can buy used games cheaper online, and yet people still go to Gamestop. I'm not saying I don't ever go in there to browse or look for cheap peripherals, but if every one of their customers was like me, they would be out of business.

Chris

Gamestop is the only store here anymore. The reason why they started charging a fee is because before people would pre-order games and not pick them up. Especially with the unpoular or not quite as good ones they'd be stuck with umm I know I saw them with 9 copies of a game that just ended up sitting till it was in the under $10 bin. I can understand why they are doing it, if it's for this reason and you can thank ignorant customers for it.

I'm not saying I agree with the policy however.

That's what blows my mind. People still shop there in droves. You can buy new games anywhere, and you can buy used games cheaper online, and yet people still go to Gamestop. I'm not saying I don't ever go in there to browse or look for cheap peripherals, but if every one of their customers was like me, they would be out of business.

Chris

Everytime I walk by a Gamestop here in the midwest, all I see are Neanderthals

standing in line, waiting for the teenage clerk to give them $5 for their entire bag

of bought_last_week and paid_$50_each PSx games ;-)

Worked for Funcoland AND GS once upon a time. Even managed a store at GS at

our local mall for a week once. Yeah, that's all I could stand of the place, their policies,

the rats they hired, the pressure they instilled to sell those damn magazines and

cleaners, etc. Gotta tell 'ya... company is run by total morons. Quite the wonder they

are still in biz. If memory serves, they've reorganised a couple of times at least. Ripping

people off is the name of their game. Opening product, touching, scratching, fingerprinting

CD's, ruining manuals, literally tossing manuals they received from used games, only

maintaining 1 of everything in stock, forcing you to buy their junk at full price, even

though it's technically used. The list could go on and on for a long time.

MANY, many reasons NOT to shop at that place.

I miss Babbages!

Edited by save2600

They're actually cleaning up a little around here. I've been into one near I-40 a couple of times now and they haven't asked me to buy a single thing more than what I brought to the counter. We're talking cheap stuff, too, like a single UMD movie and a 512 MB MS Pro Duo (magic memsticks don't have to be very big). Yes, I did pay a little more for the MS than I would at Game X Change, but I also knew GS would have some of them lying around where as Game X Change probably wouldn't.

GS tends to have a decent rotation of UMD movies in the store, too. You just gotta make sure they have boxes, 'cause sometimes they don't and the UMD will still cost you the same amount. At the GS stores around here they usually have stuff like T2 and T3, Amityville, Crimson Tide, the odd IMAX and the odd music UMD, xXx, Garfield, and quite a few other big titles. I even got Advent Children with the box from a Game Stop, but it did cost me a bit.

forcing you to buy their junk at full price, even though it's technically used.

We don't have GS over here but EB does the same thing (most department stores too)

And it is one thing I absolutly will not stand for.

If it ain't shrinkwraped I make it clear that I'm buying a "NEW" game and could they please go get one.

And they either do it or miss out on the sale.

We don't have GS over here but EB does the same thing (most department stores too)

If it ain't shrinkwraped I make it clear that I'm buying a "NEW" game and could they please go get one.

EB is GS. GS owns it and everything about the stores are exactly the same. The only difference is the name. Just look at the two websites: ebgames.com and gamestop.com. They are the same sites down to the letter except for a slight color difference and the name at the top.

At one time I had plenty of choices in my area: EBGames, Software Etc., GameStop, Rhino Games, Players Choice.

First GS bought EB and Software Etc. Then Players Choice went out of business because I don't think they had any left. Then GS bought my favorite store Rhino Games which removed my best local source of any classic games as well as my favorite place to buy new games. Now everything is GS. Software Etc. was completely changed to GS name and all. EB's store was changed to be exactly the same as GS with the EB name. There are GS stores everywhere now and the only option left is retail giants like Target, WalMart, Best Buy, etc. GameStop is a virus that spreads until there is nothing left.

EB is GS. GS owns it and everything about the stores are exactly the same. The only difference is the name. Just look at the two websites: ebgames.com and gamestop.com. They are the same sites down to the letter except for a slight color difference and the name at the top.

At one time I had plenty of choices in my area: EBGames, Software Etc., GameStop, Rhino Games, Players Choice.

First GS bought EB and Software Etc. Then Players Choice went out of business because I don't think they had any left. Then GS bought my favorite store Rhino Games which removed my best local source of any classic games as well as my favorite place to buy new games. Now everything is GS. Software Etc. was completely changed to GS name and all. EB's store was changed to be exactly the same as GS with the EB name. There are GS stores everywhere now and the only option left is retail giants like Target, WalMart, Best Buy, etc. GameStop is a virus that spreads until there is nothing left.

Gees, no wonder game developers feel so threatened by the used game market (particularly GS). They are taking over!

Ever wonder if GS is actually a front for developers who want to get rid of all used game sales?

Step 1: Create a mega-chain that devours all competition in the used game market

Step 2: Destroy said mega-chain with idiotic anti-consumer practices.

Step 3: ??????????????

Ster 4: Profit!

Seriously, I've even found pirated games in GS' stock... told them about it, went back a week later and the games were still there. The only thing the company ever seems to do right is to find damn good real estate.

Sorry, what's the problem with this?

In Brick & Mortar stores with MANY things, in order to preorder something you put money down. In Gamestop's physical stores it's $5 which seems pretty standard, we've paid that much to preorder movies at the Disney store or FYE. It's not like they chase you down if you never pick up the item, they keep your $5 unless you come into the store to pick up the item (or move it to a different preorder). This works exactly the same way - it's actually MORE lenient than their instore policy since you don't have to put any money down upfront - only if you don't pick it up quickly at launch.

I guess what I'd mostly like to know is if you get charged the $5 and go in a week later do you get that $5 off the game?

I'm kind of in that situation with GS and a Syphon Filter game. I reserved it just to get the demo disc, and they asked me to put $5 down on the game. I dunno if they'd still give me $5 off the game, but if I have the receipt for the $5 they might. Used in good condition would work for me, as long as they knock $5 off that used price.

I'm kind of in that situation with GS and a Syphon Filter game. I reserved it just to get the demo disc, and they asked me to put $5 down on the game. I dunno if they'd still give me $5 off the game, but if I have the receipt for the $5 they might. Used in good condition would work for me, as long as they knock $5 off that used price.

If you put $5 down on a reserve and never picked the game up the reserve will be in the computer. You can ask to have it applied to another purchase.

How about just not complaining about the store.

Then we can all concentrate on ways of destroying the monster called "Gamestop".

They are almost as bad as Starbucks. And they both need to be eradicated from this gamer world quickly and efficiently.

No Questions.

No mercy.

No survivors.

It isn't like Game Stop has deals better than the competition, I've found new games for less at Best Buy or Target. I've only gotten one shrink wrapped game from Game Stop out of dozens of requests, so now I don't even bother wasting the gas to go there. They even tried to give me an opened game once for a pre-paid pre-order, something there is no excuse for. Now I only go to Game Stop if I'm given a gift card.

When I buy games new from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or Amazon they are shrink wrapped. Amazon is often cheaper than Game Stop, even with shipping, so now that's how I get most of my new games.

I've sometimes bought games at Gamestop. I also make use of Kmart, Target, and Best Buy. I haven't had any bad experiences though with Gamestop as of yet.

Sometimes I just get the feeling that people dislike chain stores in general.

I have no problem with a chain store that provides quality service. Even more than that I believe that competition is the consumers best friend. Gamestop buys up or drives out all competition and does not provide quality service to it's customers. Going into a store to buy a game should be an enjoyable experience or at least an OK one. I shouldn't be counting down the seconds until I can walk out of the store and be completely annoyed by the time I leave. There are many good reasons to hate Gamestop.

Ya just gotta use Game Stop and see it for what it is. It's one of many choices for game purchases. If that's all that's in your area, buy online instead. Thing is, by reading these threads, I know what to expect from GS. If I go in expecting to have to fight for a shrinkwrapped game, I won't be disappointed. OTOH, if I get a game that's CIB with everything in excellent condition (meaning the disc has not needed buffing, either), then I might be happy with it. If I buy used, I actually don't want it shrinkwrapped. Another chain, Vintage Stock, has a shrinkwrap machine and they use it religiously on used merchandise.

I've sometimes bought games at Gamestop. I also make use of Kmart, Target, and Best Buy. I haven't had any bad experiences though with Gamestop as of yet.

Sometimes I just get the feeling that people dislike chain stores in general.

I have no problem with a chain store that provides quality service.

It isn't that Game Stop is a chain store. So is Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Quality service is the problem is the problem with Game Stop. On top of the things mentioned earlier -- because I'm an "old guy" over 30, I either get condescending salespeople or get ignored completely.

Ya just gotta use Game Stop and see it for what it is. It's one of many choices for game purchases. If that's all that's in your area, buy online instead. Thing is, by reading these threads, I know what to expect from GS. If I go in expecting to have to fight for a shrinkwrapped game, I won't be disappointed. OTOH, if I get a game that's CIB with everything in excellent condition (meaning the disc has not needed buffing, either), then I might be happy with it.

Agreed, but wait until you try to return an non-working used game. Always ask to see the disk first before purchase, and even then they will object. My experience is that Game Stop's "guarantee" for used games is crap, because even returning 2 hours later with a receipt they won't exchange it for another copy. The only times I've gotten things straight required weeks of phone battles with district managers and regional vice presidents. I have never been able to bring back a defective used game without them trying to buy it back as a used game, even with a receipt. Game Stop's guarantees are worse than eBay.

This isn't a problem with only one Game Stop, I have 7 stores within 10 miles. It has been a problem will all locations.

My experience is that their guarantee on used games is BS. If I wanted no guarantee, I could buy off eBay for cheaper...

Edited by akator

Sorry, what's the problem with this?

In Brick & Mortar stores with MANY things, in order to preorder something you put money down. In Gamestop's physical stores it's $5 which seems pretty standard, we've paid that much to preorder movies at the Disney store or FYE. It's not like they chase you down if you never pick up the item, they keep your $5 unless you come into the store to pick up the item (or move it to a different preorder). This works exactly the same way - it's actually MORE lenient than their instore policy since you don't have to put any money down upfront - only if you don't pick it up quickly at launch.

I guess what I'd mostly like to know is if you get charged the $5 and go in a week later do you get that $5 off the game?

The problem with this policy, in my opinion, is that: if you walk into a brick and mortar store and pre-order a game by putting down a $5 deposit, you can change your mind and either get your $5 back or apply it to another game if you decide you don't really want that particular game. But if you pre-order the same game online, corporate GameStop charges you a $5 shipping & handling FEE if you don't pick up the game within 48hours of its arrival.

There is no "deposit" to get back if you decide not to purchase a game, but instead you are charged a fee. And not by a store but by GS online.

Let me try a scenario:

#1 - You decide you want to pre-order Tomb Raider: Underworld for the Wii. You go to your local GS and put $5 down to reserve the game. On release day, you are excited but then read some news from IGN or another source that the Wii version of the game is glitched and can't be completed. You don't want a botched game so you go to the store and tell them you are no longer interested and either get your $5 reserve back or apply it towards another game.

#2 - You decide you want to pre-order Tomb Raider Underworld for the Wii. You don't feel like driving to the store just to reserve a copy so you go online and tell the website to have GS store #6 hold a copy for you. On release day, you are excited but then read some news from IGN or another source that the Wii version is glitched and can't be completed. You don't want a botched game, so you decide not to even bother going to the store as there is nothing else you are interested in. BUT.... you agreed with GameStop, when you went online, that if you didn't pick up your game within 48hours that corporate would charge your credit card a $5 shipping and handling fee.

In #1, you are not out anything if you change your mind about purchasing a game.

In #2, you are out $5 if you change your mind about purchasing a game.

Big difference, at least to me.

And its also typical of GS corporate policies.

Mendon

Ya just gotta use Game Stop and see it for what it is. It's one of many choices for game purchases. If that's all that's in your area, buy online instead. Thing is, by reading these threads, I know what to expect from GS. If I go in expecting to have to fight for a shrinkwrapped game, I won't be disappointed. OTOH, if I get a game that's CIB with everything in excellent condition (meaning the disc has not needed buffing, either), then I might be happy with it.

Agreed, but wait until you try to return an non-working used game. Always ask to see the disk first before purchase, and even then they will object. My experience is that Game Stop's "guarantee" for used games is crap, because even returning 2 hours later with a receipt they won't exchange it for another copy. The only times I've gotten things straight required weeks of phone battles with district managers and regional vice presidents. I have never been able to bring back a defective used game without them trying to buy it back as a used game, even with a receipt. Game Stop's guarantees are worse than eBay.

This isn't a problem with only one Game Stop, I have 7 stores within 10 miles. It has been a problem will all locations.

My experience is that their guarantee on used games is BS. If I wanted no guarantee, I could buy off eBay for cheaper...

I fix games, though. I'll usually fix a game that's not working rather than return it, since most of the time there is only one copy of what I purchased in the store's stock. The only thing I've been buying from them recently, though, are PSP movies, which are usually not scratched. If the cartridge part is busted, it's $5 at Game X Change for a replacement shell, and for movies like First Blood or Jumanji, it is well worth the extra $5 if it's needed. I've gotten a couple of Memory Sticks from GS recently, too.

If I was purchasing CD or DVD based games, I'd ask to see the disc before I got my money out, and if they refused, I'd walk away. In fact, the last time I purchased anything at GameStop, I looked it over right there at the counter while the clerk was ringing up my stuff. Even so, I have the tools to repair moderately scratched disc games. If I can't fix them, I can have them fixed at Game X Change for $3. That price is worthwhile to me for games like Raiden III and Virtual On: Marz. I usually find those games at Vintage Stock, and their return policies are just as bad as GameStop. They don't show you the disc before purchase, either, unless you ask and even then I'm not sure if they will. And their used game buyback prices suck just as bad as GameStop's do.

If all else fails and you really want that game, but they won't let you inspect it before paying, you can stand there at the register where no other customers can be rung up and inspect your game. If it's scratched, stay put and ask for a refund. I'm sure they don't want their other prospective customers seeing an argument between you and the staff, so the thought to refund your money should cross their minds relatively fast. If they don't, you raise a ruckus and try to turn as many other customers away as possible. If I were the other customer, I'd think twice about buying if I knew the guy in front of me at the register was getting ripped off.

I'm not defending GameStop, all I'm saying is not to cut yourself off from a possible source of desirable games, especially based on stuff you can prevent. The difference between Vintage Stock or GameStop and ebay is that neither VS or GS can screw you out of shipping costs provided you buy in the store, you don't have to wait for your game to arrive, and if they want your money badly enough you can see what condition the game is in before you pay.

One more bit of advice: Find someone loacl or online whom you can trust to repair games. The day will come when you find a n ultra-rare game that's totally destroyed yet still fixable. You'll want to buy it anyway, knowing that at least part of the package is good and the rest might be salvageable. For me, that day occurred with a cartridge game that had been underwater for a long time. I repaired it, and now I've got a semi valuable game that I have never seen in the wild again.

Edited by shadow460