IGNORED

Impossible Mission - guess who ?

krewat

Maybe some of us could help you by loaning you a decent floppy drive.

Getting that thing read sooner as opposed to later sounds like a necessity in my mind, even if you don't look at the source for a good long while.

What area of the map are you nearby? There are lots of us sprinkled throughout the world.

-John

I am on Long Island in New York, USA.

I guess joining this forum is now sort of a be careful what you wish for, for me...

Hi guys,

newb to the forum , but I am an old school atari nut having cut my gaming teeth on a C-380.

I have 2600,5200, and recently jumped into the 7800 realm for "one game, and one game only"... you guessed right, impossible mission!

I had a wild hair at christmas after talking with my lil brother [us both having commodore 64's] and our love for the epyx games, namely impossible mission, winter, summer & world games.

so after about 3 nights and days browsing ebay for an NOS 7800 system,and a sealed boxed IM, I was off to the races...even found a sealed winter games [what a joke compared to the 64]

truth be told, I can beat IM in about 35-40 minutes today on the commodore, have done better, but that was back in the day when i played daily.

so this new venture began with playing IM, it took me a little time to get used to the flow of this version, but I couldnt figure out why i could not put puzzles together in the end... I'd get one and thats it. after a frustrating week ,I began looking for gaming secrets today as I finally realized there are no green puzzle pieces!!!! googled and stumbled on this topic... needless to say I am thoroughly disappointed that atari ever let this game hit the public.. as I feel collectible nightmare or not, I've been taken 20 yrs after the fact.

I then found info on the cuttle cart 2 and the download to fix the game... just my luck,no longer available... awesome...money well spent!!

suppose I should have researched some b4 dropping $$ on the system, but I am sure I will find other games to trip my trigger...

anyway, since this is why I joined , I thought this should be my first posting.

very cool forum you guys have, I look fwd. to becoming a part of it !

john

I guess joining this forum is now sort of a be careful what you wish for, for me...

Hi guys,

newb to the forum , but I am an old school atari nut having cut my gaming teeth on a C-380.

I have 2600,5200, and recently jumped into the 7800 realm for "one game, and one game only"... you guessed right, impossible mission!

I had a wild hair at christmas after talking with my lil brother [us both having commodore 64's] and our love for the epyx games, namely impossible mission, winter, summer & world games.

so after about 3 nights and days browsing ebay for an NOS 7800 system,and a sealed boxed IM, I was off to the races...even found a sealed winter games [what a joke compared to the 64]

truth be told, I can beat IM in about 35-40 minutes today on the commodore, have done better, but that was back in the day when i played daily.

so this new venture began with playing IM, it took me a little time to get used to the flow of this version, but I couldnt figure out why i could not put puzzles together in the end... I'd get one and thats it. after a frustrating week ,I began looking for gaming secrets today as I finally realized there are no green puzzle pieces!!!! googled and stumbled on this topic... needless to say I am thoroughly disappointed that atari ever let this game hit the public.. as I feel collectible nightmare or not, I've been taken 20 yrs after the fact.

I then found info on the cuttle cart 2 and the download to fix the game... just my luck,no longer available... awesome...money well spent!!

suppose I should have researched some b4 dropping $$ on the system, but I am sure I will find other games to trip my trigger...

anyway, since this is why I joined , I thought this should be my first posting.

very cool forum you guys have, I look fwd. to becoming a part of it !

john

Hey John....welcome to the club!

Yea, this game was always the baine of my existence back when it first came out. Though truth be told, I wonder if I couldn've won it anyway, given my age at the time and the fact that this type of game is not my forte. But oh well, as far as I know now I totally could've won this game had it not been for the bug!!! icon_razz.gif

But just you wait. With any luck we'll be seeing a Harmony 2 cartridge coming out in the not to distant future ('better' than a cuttle, look in the forums for more details) and then you'll be able to get that code-fixed verion of IM so many of us have been waiting for!

Well, as much as I have said in the past and not lived up to my own promises, I will make this one:

I plan on coming out with a fixed version of the game, based on the original sources. I need to get together an EPROM programmer and such, but I am perfectly willing, when this is complete, to take your existing IM cartridges, install new EPROMs and you will have the "fixed" version of the game. For a price :)

As for Winter Games on the 7800, well, yeah, that thing sucked. The C64 excelled in so many ways it wasn't funny, I wasn't getting paid a whole lot to make it work right, and we certainly didn't have the code space to include all the games, the detailed graphics, nor anything else it seemed.

• Like 8

The c64 version of IM was in my top 3 fave games for that system (ghosts 'n goblins and Ikari warriors were the other two) and I played it many times even after i beat it (if i remember correctly it took me a few days). Given my reflexes I doubt i could beat it today though :ponder:

I never had a 7800 growing up and when i saw it on the 7800 many years later i was interested, but when i found it it was not complete, i decided against giving it a go. One day i'll try the "Possible Mission" version.

As for Winter Games on the 7800, well, yeah, that thing sucked. The C64 excelled in so many ways it wasn't funny, I wasn't getting paid a whole lot to make it work right, and we certainly didn't have the code space to include all the games, the detailed graphics, nor anything else it seemed.

As I'm coming for PAL land, I never played the 7800 version of Winter Games.

If you still have the sources of Winter Games & Summer Games, would it be possible to create a PAL version of those games?

Robert

There are people on this forum that can burn the ROM to a cart for you. PM CPUWIZ here icon_wink.gif

Once the AtariAge store is back up and running I think you can simply have them make a cart for you, if I remember correctly, for something like $25.

Well, as much as I have said in the past and not lived up to my own promises, I will make this one:

I plan on coming out with a fixed version of the game, based on the original sources. I need to get together an EPROM programmer and such, but I am perfectly willing, when this is complete, to take your existing IM cartridges, install new EPROMs and you will have the "fixed" version of the game. For a price :)

Krewat,

That would be awesome ! I'd love to have the corrected game in my original cart housing and you can count me in when you're ready.

I suppose my only honest beef with winter games on 7800 is the lack of events. I believe winter games for 7800 has only 4 events compared to the c64 kind of meager, though I realize you only had so much space to work with.

Will the fixed version of IM have a high score log ,like the c64?

Well, I am very excited to have found this forum, it seems the more I read the more giddy I get. As mentioned my younger brother and I cut our teeth on the C-380 [he has that very one, I have a real nice one], so when he purchased his 5200 back in the day, I was amazed how things had moved forward from the 2600. His was a 4 port{*} serial number, which we thought was great at the time because he had smoked his 2600 and had a ton of games, actually went to buy another and found the 52, so he bought the vcs adaptor as well.

Oddly enough, he eventually smoked his 5200 while playing defender for about 4 hours one day.

I wanted to buy a 5200 for myself after his blew up, but at roughly 18 years old, still in school ,and a host of other interests, that was not to be. it wasn't until the super nintendo came out that I found myself itching to play again and its snowballed one system at a time, until I took a few steps back at christmas and came home to Atari !!!

I had absolutely no idea that there were ex employees , and others out there making limited run games, high score carts, multi/library game carts for all systems which is something I will most definitely source.

Seems if I continue buying sealed NOS games for all 3 systems , my wife is eventually going to get the frying pan out. Plus, I really dont want to collect ,much less dedicate space for a ton of little boxes. [been there with NOS GM delco parts]

I do like the idea of having everything on one cart for at the very least 7800 and 5200, though there is an awful lot of 2600 stuff that's a hoot !

This is good, thanks for having me !

• Like 1

CG, no. I haven't had the time to fool around with the sources that I DO have of it, and I am still trying to find a good 360K floppy drive to try to read the crappy floppies I have of it - the things start to delaminate as I read them, so I need to get a really good floppy drive that I can clean easily.

IM, actually I found the original compiler I used with it, so I am somewhere in the middle of going back to the original code and compiling and checking it against the binaries to make sure it compiles 100% perfect. From there, I already know what the bug is caused by, so I am going to TRY to get it fixed and compiled. Maybe this coming Spring I'll have binaries ready.

Wait. So do you just need a 5.25 floppy drive for a standard PC then?

I guess the increased ROM space really would have been a lot more expensive back then. The cartridge boards that were used for Impossible Mission and Winter Games (the C300565) could have easily accommodated 256K bankswitched ROM chips (or even larger) by connecting just one or two more lines on the latch, so it certainly wasn't the board design that limited you to 128K.

I might have mentioned this in the past, but I happen to own a few hundred sealed Jinks cartridges, which use the same cartridge board as Impossible Mission and even have the required 8K of onboard RAM. If you ever get to the point where you'd like to release the fixed version of Impossible Mission, perhaps my cartridges would be useful as donors. Let me know if you'd be interested.

I guess the increased ROM space really would have been a lot more expensive back then. The cartridge boards that were used for Impossible Mission and Winter Games (the C300565) could have easily accommodated 256K bankswitched ROM chips (or even larger) by connecting just one or two more lines on the latch, so it certainly wasn't the board design that limited you to 128K.

I happen to own a few hundred sealed Jinks cartridges, which use the same cartridge board as Impossible Mission and even have the required 8K of onboard RAM. If you ever get to the point where you'd like to release the fixed version of Impossible Mission, perhaps my cartridges would be useful as donors. Let me know if you'd be interested.

If I remember correctly (and that's questionable), it was more a time thing than a space thing. Space WAS at a premium, I seemed to recall the 256K roms were something like 4 or more times more expensive than the 128K ones. And then they'd have to make a new PCB for it too, I believe, so that was DEFINITELY out of the question.

But timing wise, I was pressed for time to get those events out too, so I think Atari just called a "it's time" and whatever was done got put in it.

And yes, I will be going back through this thread when the time comes and let you know about those carts.

Edited by krewat

Are you thinking of getting back into atari dev'ing then krewat

what gems are you going to give to the 7800 fanbase

Well, I don't know about that ;)

If all goes well, who knows, I might find the missing events in WG, or get California Games going. I do have source code for what I did for CG, and it may or may not be complete, but I do remember I got at least one or two events working.

As for "new" stuff, who knows. My 16-year-old son is a big retro-gamer, he and I might get together to brainstorm a new game ;)