IGNORED

Duped on box art

schuwalker

I think we all must have been in one way or another back then.

I first discovered computers with a magazine, can't remember the name, but it was TRS-80-centric. This would have been late '70s, or around 1980. There was a full-page full-color ad for an adventure game called "The Stone of Sisyphus". The ad art wasn't the same as the below image, but it was the same character walking down a dungeon hallway, painted in the same style. I'd never used a computer before and thought that was the actual graphics. Found out somehow later that it was just a text adventure. Ironically, this revelation, while sparking some initial disappointment and shock, didn't destroy any of the magic of computers for me, and today, though i can really have similar graphics on a computer/console, I don't really care too much.

post-16769-1228570458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirage1972

Not the box art as such, but the cartridge art got me once. I rebought Venture at a yard sale when I was six or seven because it was the Coleco one and I thought it was a different game than my Red Lable one. :( In my defense the cartridge art is quite different:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=577

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=576

Not the box art as such, but the cartridge art got me once. I rebought Venture at a yard sale when I was six or seven because it was the Coleco one and I thought it was a different game than my Red Lable one. :( In my defense the cartridge art is quite different:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=577

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=576

Easy mistake for a kid to make. A label variation collector at a young age eh? :D

In defense of Slot Racers......I always liked the game. Me and my little sister used to play that game and Maze Craze all the time when we first got them.

Maze Craze was another game that the artwork looked a lot better than the game actually was. I remember reading the reviews which made the sound great but when I fired it up I thought is this it ;)

I first discovered computers with a magazine, can't remember the name, but it was TRS-80-centric. This would have been late '70s, or around 1980.

Might that be "80 Micro-computing" published by Wayne Green? I read that cover-to-cover, and learned a lot. Trivia: a spin-off of 80 Micro-computing was "Instant Software", possibly the first software publishing house for independent authors. By the way, google Wayne Green and check out his web site...

I first discovered computers with a magazine, can't remember the name, but it was TRS-80-centric. This would have been late '70s, or around 1980.

Might that be "80 Micro-computing" published by Wayne Green? I read that cover-to-cover, and learned a lot. Trivia: a spin-off of 80 Micro-computing was "Instant Software", possibly the first software publishing house for independent authors. By the way, google Wayne Green and check out his web site...

Yes, that was it! 80-Micro. Wow, he's an interesting fellow, isn't he?!

Frankenstein's Monster is Data Age's best game too. I don't mind it; The rest of the Data Age games suck a lot though.

Am I the only person on the planet who likes DataAge's "Journey"? It is a unique concept, has actual Journey music on Atari 2600 (ok a little off key, but a decent effort), and solid gameplay. But maybe I am the crazy one, b/c every review says it sucks. Frankenstein's Monster is DataAge's best. That is an outstanding game.

Flag Capture, Slot Racers, and Maze Craze: 2 players=lots of fun. 1 player=lame.

I liked Journey Escape, it wasn't a bad game. It gets pretty chaotic at times.

The box art that ticked me off was definitely Flag Capture as mentioned above...

There were cool looking pirates on the cover and all we got were some blocks on a blue screen...

A lot of those early Atari games were notorious for not displaying any actual game screen shots on the back.

Frankenstein's Monster is Data Age's best game too. I don't mind it; The rest of the Data Age games suck a lot though.

Am I the only person on the planet who likes DataAge's "Journey"? It is a unique concept, has actual Journey music on Atari 2600 (ok a little off key, but a decent effort), and solid gameplay. But maybe I am the crazy one, b/c every review says it sucks. Frankenstein's Monster is DataAge's best. That is an outstanding game.

Flag Capture, Slot Racers, and Maze Craze: 2 players=lots of fun. 1 player=lame.

Journey escape is not bad but it is far to easy. You can basically play it as long as you can stay awake. I have debated going for Todd Rogers 3-day marathon record but I doubt I'll ever have the time :)