IGNORED

Duped on box art

schuwalker

Journey escape is not bad but it is far to easy. You can basically play it as long as you can stay awake. I have debated going for Todd Rogers 3-day marathon record but I doubt I'll ever have the time :)

Alright, you caught me on that one, it is a bit too easy. Like you mention, once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much play for as long as you like. But the same can be said for other games (Pac_Man and Pengo come to mind). I just don't feel it deserves to be lumped in with the likes of Airlock, Warplock, and SSSnake. I would have been p***ed if I had shelled out $ for those games back in the day.

Thanks to you and Skylark68 for the bump on Journey. Maybe I am not quite as crazy as I thought. ;)

Midnight Magic is a great playing pinball game, but the cover art shows a completely different table! Not totally duped as you could look at the back of the box, but I remember feeling teased. Too bad there weren't more pinball games for the 2600. I abhor Video Pinball and Bumper Bash's play mechanics are off big time.

Bigger than life packaging/art is what sells.At least some game makers put a game screen pic on box,like activision,but even those were just an artists drawing,but it gave an idea anyway.

Edited by Rik

Yes and no. I long ago learned that what was on the box almost never matched what as on the screen.

What DID get me was 2600 pole position. The back of the box showed road signs. Now I knew the gfx wouldn't going to look as good, but I was led to believe that the road signs would be there in some capacity. I was very upset that they wern't.

How about any of the Swordquest games? Pretty good front artwork.... :ponder:

It really is too bad. Atari obviously put a lot of effort into the Swordquest series. The box looked great, the comic was awesome, the series concept was good, and the contest was intriguing. Then you fire up the game with high expectations, see a cool intro screen, and *splat* the game falls flat on its face.

I totally got duped on this one.

Imagine what I felt as a kid when I saw this box art

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=183

and got this game

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=183

On the opposite end of the spectrum was Data Age's OTHER really damn good game that

always goes entirely unsung,

Bermuda Triangle.

The art on this one really sucked me into the game and I didn't feel let down by the box art.

Somehow it actually made the game better.

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...;ItemTypeID=BOX

(I liked that art so much I painstakingly drew it with koala paint and an atari joystick on my c64 back in the day...)

I can't find the parchment online anywhere, but it also came with a cool parchment.

The one that sticks out to me is Space Cavern. I just KNEW the game was going to be the best Atari game ever after seeing the box art and reading the description. My friend and I rented that game from the local video store. This was years before Blockbusters and renting videogames was a new and wild idea. I don't know about my pal, but I was really disappointed in Space Cavern. I felt like I had wasted my $5

Yeah,the art work got me a couple of times.Very clever marketing technique,though very deceitfull, duped alot of folks,including me.But really,it couldnt be helped.I mean if there were ACTUAL games screenphotos,shot real time, on cover,and NO fancy artwork,the general public would go,blah,that game looks horrible.There were game screens on some boxes,but like i said already,they were drawings,to make game look more appealing.I learned my lesson the 1st time to not judge a book/game by its cover.Alot of stores back then let you try the game 1st,as they had demo kiosks in all department stores.Ever go to a burger joint that have food photos everywhere?hamburgers are huge,fat,juicy,5 inches thick.Then when you get the same burger on photo,its a 2 inch thick,pathetic looking crap,ever seen the movie FALLING DOWN?a movie,but very true,same Shit here.

Edited by Rik