;MCP - main module calling all others.

; Converted from EPYX's C64 code to 7800 by Art Krewat. Started

; 4/1/86. Because of problems arrising from the Supercard becoming

; available much later than the actual start of the conversion, this

; code is very hacked up. I apologize in advance if you are using

; this code for a conversion. Also, you will notice, the Figure/Freestyle

; skating and Hotdog skiing events are missing, because of space

; constraints. Also, this menu was made after most of the events

; were written, and in a stressful situation.

;(12/4/88) California Games!:

; Again, this code has been re-hacked. This is now California Games!

; I've tried to make it more consistent, but time does not allow me

; to over-do it. Documentation is non-existant with previous versions,

; and it will probably remain so with this one. This is actually MCP

; from Winter/Summer games, but with some changes. Mostly flags, but

; including NMI calling techniques, and opening ceremonies treating.

; I would have really liked to keep the California Games border for the

; menu. However, it would require a lot of ROM as the border is in

; 320 resolution. (Can't do it in 160, since we NEED a 320 char set.)

; The original is in the character set, so it may be possible. If time

; allows I will go back, and put it in. With the other "* Games", I did

; not have enough time to go back and beautify anything. Maybe with

; this one I will. Lack of time does wonders for one's programming

; techniques.

; Arthur A. Krewat 12/4/1988

It looks like the first paragraph is referencing Winter Games. I'm assuming Cal Games was a conversion of that?

Slightly off topic but do you know what the story is behind there being two different version of Winter Games being released? The first one was missing a lot of sounds and a couple events had placeholder graphics instead of the final graphics. The later version is complete.

By the way, did you know that your three games (Winter Games, Summer Games and Impossible Mission) were three of only five released 7800 games that used on cart RAM? The other two games were Jinks and Tower Toppler.

Mitch

It looks like the first paragraph is referencing Winter Games. I'm assuming Cal Games was a conversion of that?

Slightly off topic but do you know what the story is behind there being two different version of Winter Games being released? The first one was missing a lot of sounds and a couple events had placeholder graphics instead of the final graphics. The later version is complete.

By the way, did you know that your three games (Winter Games, Summer Games and Impossible Mission) were three of only five released 7800 games that used on cart RAM? The other two games were Jinks and Tower Toppler.

Mitch

Don't know about Winter games being two different versions, that's interesting. I'll follow up more on that, when I get it restored. Working on Summer games right now, and I'm only through the first floppy - had to reconstruct 5 bad sectors - thankfully, I have two complete identical sets of floppies for it (2 floppy set).

Winter games, I have FOUR floppies.

When I did Winter/Summer and apparently California Games, I reused major parts of the code. If I remember correctly, whoever did the C64 version modularized it quite a bit.

--

Interesting trivia about on-cart RAM... Didn't do anything with Jinks or Tower Toppler.

--

No binaries yet... still working on restoring stuff. Might be a week or two.

Don't know about Winter games being two different versions, that's interesting. I'll follow up more on that, when I get it restored. Working on Summer games right now, and I'm only through the first floppy - had to reconstruct 5 bad sectors - thankfully, I have two complete identical sets of floppies for it (2 floppy set).

Winter games, I have FOUR floppies.

When I did Winter/Summer and apparently California Games, I reused major parts of the code. If I remember correctly, whoever did the C64 version modularized it quite a bit.

--

Interesting trivia about on-cart RAM... Didn't do anything with Jinks or Tower Toppler.

--

No binaries yet... still working on restoring stuff. Might be a week or two.

I'm glad you were able to recover the data off the floppies. It's a good thing you didn't wait another year or two before checking or they might have been gone.

Are these not standard MadMac assembler files that you have? I know you mentioned another DOS based assembler/linker. Just wondering.

Mitch

I'm glad you were able to recover the data off the floppies. It's a good thing you didn't wait another year or two before checking or they might have been gone.

Are these not standard MadMac assembler files that you have? I know you mentioned another DOS based assembler/linker. Just wondering.

The assembler we used was x6502, it says something about "2500 AD" in some of the linker output files. Which comes back as an Avocet Systems thing, but I think they bought the original company that made it.

Alas, I only wrote a 68000 cross-compiler :D

I am going to have to try compiling stuff eventually, and I'm going to try all the freeware stuff first before I get into trying to find anything proprietary (legal or not).

If anyone knows anything about the 2500 AD compiler, that would help greatly. I do NOT remember if Atari gave it to us or not, I can't imagine Computer Magic spending actual money on it ;)

It's too bad I don't have any backups of the cross-compiler. At least, I haven't found it YET.