IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Dunno. It's in Al's hands, so I can't say when it will be out. Other stuff has come and gone in the meantime, so it may be a while.

I am making good progress on catching up on projects now that I'm able to spend more time on AtariAge--this one is in the cue and coming. :)

..Al

• Like 1

NOTE: The AtariVox+ installs directly in to the 2600, but requires a extension cable for use with the 7800, and a MODIFIED cable for use with the Vectrex.

What is this modification? That's the first I have heard of it.

I have a Genesis extension cable on order, why will that not work for the Vectrex?

NOTE: The AtariVox+ installs directly in to the 2600, but requires a extension cable for use with the 7800, and a MODIFIED cable for use with the Vectrex.

I have a Genesis extension cable on order, why will that not work for the Vectrex?

The Vec has a smaller port. The modification is essetially removal of some of the connector on the cable so it will fit.

You've never tried to plug a regular joystick into your Vec, have you? (Good thing, as it won't work..)

You "can" do it yourself I believe. It involves removing some of the plastic so that it will fit into the 9-pin socket.

I thought of doing it myself, but then pictured slipping and cutting myself...

(Ah yes, I know myself well)

So I am opting for a pre-modded cable..

Somewhere, there was a vid on youtube of someone doing something (repro lightpen???) for the vec that showed him cutting the plug to fit.

desiv

Edited by desiv

You've never tried to plug a regular joystick into your Vec, have you? (Good thing, as it won't work..)

You "can" do it yourself I believe. It involves removing some of the plastic so that it will fit into the 9-pin socket.

I thought of doing it myself, but then pictured slipping and cutting myself...

(Ah yes, I know myself well)

So I am opting for a pre-modded cable..

Somewhere, there was a vid on youtube of someone doing something (repro lightpen???) for the vec that showed him cutting the plug to fit.

desiv

Correct, it can be done yourself. All depends on if you want to mess with it when the new toy arrives, or be ready to go. ;)

For my custom Atari arcade joystick, I used a 9-foot strait-wired male/female serial extension cable. The controller ports are flush with the edge of the console for the 4-switch Atari, so those bulky serial cables (complete with mounting brackets and threaded screws I don't use) work just fine. I have no idea about the other Atari consoles though. The serial extension cable with metal brackets definitely won't fit in a Genesis console due to the recessed ports, so I'll need a special Genny extension cable if I ever wanted to try to use my custom joystick on my Genesis or add length to my Genesis controllers (Atari controllers are pretty much useless on the Genesis, even for "1 button" games like Sonic the hedgehog, because you still have to press START to play the game). Edited by stardust4ever

Got it.

I read modified and jumped to "pin wiring changes" which is wrong.

I even noticed the extension cable end in mos's gallery of Vox was filed down on the corners, but I still didn't put it together.

No, I never tried another controller in the Vectrex.

I even knew the original AtariVox won't fit in the 7800.

AtariVox+ works with batari Basic DPC+ 1.1d, but the assembly that can run in Vertical Blank in version 1 has to be run in the main loop. That just means bB DPC+ games with AtariVox+ speech will have to take care not to go "over cycle."

I plan to add a headphone jack input to my modded 7800 case, and mix the vox output internally with the rest of the audio. Then I can just add a patch cable between the AtariVox and 7800, adjust the vox level, and enjoy Vox and TIA (and sometimes Pokey) through my stereo.

I plan to add a headphone jack input to my modded 7800 case, and mix the vox output internally with the rest of the audio. Then I can just add a patch cable between the AtariVox and 7800, adjust the vox level, and enjoy Vox and TIA (and sometimes Pokey) through my stereo.

Please do a detailed post about that I'm quite interested.

I have the stereo mod done on the 2600 However when I routed one of the audio from the Atari to one of the channels on the TV and the AtariVox to the other audio channel on the TV the Vox was too low to hear even with the internal pot all the way up. Why?

I wasn't even attempting to mix them.

So now we have to buy a sound mixer if we want to pump both the Vox audio and the Atari TIA from the same source. I've got a mini Beringer mix board that's collecting dust, LOL... I've got to get to audio-modding my Atari sometime to add stereo jacks. The RF video can stay put for the time being.

I have the stereo mod done on the 2600 However when I routed one of the audio from the Atari to one of the channels on the TV and the AtariVox to the other audio channel on the TV the Vox was too low to hear even with the internal pot all the way up. Why?

I wasn't even attempting to mix them.

Hard to say for sure without one in my hands. Usually headphone output to line-level input is fine so long as you keep the volume attenuated to line levels, but not always. I'd probably start by making the line impedance look like 32 ohm headphones with a resistor L and see if that helps. eg. 32 ohm resistor from signal to ground, followed by a 32 ohm resistor in series with signal out. (If you're going to substitute, go bigger rather than smaller)

A PM has been sent to everyone that expressed an interest via their post within this thread. The message asks that they write me back confirming what they want, and their shipping information so that I can reserve and pack their items in a few weeks when these are ready to be mailed. If you have not expressed an interest yet, or did and for some reason a PM was not delivered to you, feel free to private message me at this time.

Again, these are not ready yet. It will still be an estimated few weeks to a month. However, I do want to have my spreadsheet in order with all the information so that the orders can ship the minute I ask the buyers for their payments.

Thanks,

AX

• Like 1

I saw a list of the current Atarivox games, but see nothing about the list of Vectrex games that support this.

Ive also seen a few things here and there about the capabilities of this. Can anyone shed some light on this things capabilities?

This post. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209805-atarivox-complete-games-list/page__st__25#entry2717704

And in the same thread, Post 36.