IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I saw a list of the current Atarivox games, but see nothing about the list of Vectrex games that support this.

Ive also seen a few things here and there about the capabilities of this. Can anyone shed some light on this things capabilities?

Features:

Phonetic speech, preset sounds, five channel music synth, and memory.

The 32K memory stores game saves and high scores for titles that support the feature.

Compatibility with both Atari and Vectrex game consoles via dip switch settings.

Installation:

For use with the Atari 2600, 7800, or Vectrex video game consoles.

Regardless of what system you chose to use with the AtariVox+ you will need to

attach the output jack to headphones, or PC speakers (amplified or not).

2600: The unit plugs directly in to the second controller port.

7800: The unit plugs in to the second controller port and requires an extension cable.

Vectrex: The unit plugs in to the second controller port and requires a modified (to fit) extension cable.

The AtariVox+ can be easily opened with a small flat head screw driver.

Opening the unit is required for changing the dip switch settings.

Please refer to the dip switch chart (shown in this thread or the manual) for settings based on your console.

The volume can be adjusted with a small flat head screwdriver (the manual will show an image).

I saw a list of the current Atarivox games, but see nothing about the list of Vectrex games that support this.

Ive also seen a few things here and there about the capabilities of this. Can anyone shed some light on this things capabilities?

As far as current Vectrex games that support the Vox, I couldn't find a list anywhere either.

So I did a bit of research and came up with one. Mind you it is probably incomplete; Vectrex information is rather elusive on the nets!

Vectrex games supporting the Vox:

Colorclash

Debris

Debris Revisited and AstroDodge

Shifted

Space Frenzy

Spike Goes Down [on Protector LE]

V-Hockey

Vectoblox

Verzerk

YASI [on Protector/YASI]

If anyone knows of any other Vectrex games that support the Vox, please feel free to add to the list!

• Like 1

http://atariage.com/...25#entry2717704

:arrow: Vectrex: "Debris Revisited" (2010) uses VecVox for speech, explosions and other sound effects, with the Vectrex sound chip playing chip tune music. Purchase: http://revival-studios.com/?page=38

:arrow: Vectrex: "Verzerk" (2002) is hacked version of Berzerk made to operate with a VecVoice. Also by Alex Herbert. ROM: http://archive.org/d...vectrex-verzerk

That's all I know. Surely there are more Vextrex demos.

Edit: Thanks Richard H.!

:arrow: Vectrex: "VecVox Xmas" Download here: http://www.vectorzoa.../downloads.html

:arrow: Vectrex: "Space Frenzy" Buy and download available here: http://www.classicga...com/frenzy.html

"Quote Surely there are more Vextrex demos?"

:arrow: Spike's Circus

:arrow: Y.A.S.I. (Yet Another Space Invaders) [On Protector/Y.A.S.I.]

:arrow: Space Frenzy

:arrow: V-Hockey

:arrow: Vectoblox

:arrow: Colorclash

:arrow: Pythagoran Theorem

:arrow: Boulder Escape Terror Hazard

:arrow: Shifted

• Like 2

7800: The unit plugs in to the second controller port and requires an extension cable.

I've never tried it on the 7800. What's stopping it fitting, is it the 2 tabs that wrap around the plug on the AVox ?

FYI the plastic tabs can be removed without affecting the plug (I think Nathan had to do it to his AVox).

I've never tried it on the 7800. What's stopping it fitting, is it the 2 tabs that wrap around the plug on the AVox ?

FYI the plastic tabs can be removed without affecting the plug (I think Nathan had to do it to his AVox).

The shell bulkiness prevents it all together. When out of the shell it does fit, but it scrapes the plastic with the DB9 port. Not a big deal if you just put it in and leave it, or don't care if it makes a few minor marks under the lip (where you can't see it anyway).

I have reviewed this entire thread, and I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm asking anyway, to confirm for sure:

When used with Vectrex, will the AtariVox+ output all game audio through the headphone jack???

Or does it exclusively output sound specifically programmed for it in game cartridges, while other sound still plays through the internal Vectrex speaker?

... I'm happy to have got in on this at the last minute, one way or the other. Paid for mine today! Awesome to see it come to fruition after all this time. Thank you, to all the folks who have worked on this.

When used with Vectrex, will the AtariVox+ output all game audio through the headphone jack???

Correct. The Vox does not have a speaker of it's own. It requires some sort of output speaker device. Headphones, speakers (amplified or NOT :) ), etc... To clarify further, the normal game music and sounds still come from your TV. Just the Vox generated noise, speaking, tone, etc, come from the speaker output jack.

Edited by the.golden.ax

:arrow: Vectrex: "Debris Revisited" (2010) uses VecVox for speech, explosions and other sound effects, with the Vectrex sound chip playing chip tune music. Purchase: http://revival-studios.com/?page=38

Are you sure this game is still available? I just inquired about it by emailing the contact on that website a couple days ago, awaiting response. ... I feel like I've done this before though.

Or maybe there's something I'm missing about how to order from revival-studios...

Got mine today....

Hooked it up to the 7800 and played a quick game of Fall Down with voice!

With the unit neked (out of the case), it plugs into the 7800 fine, so I didn't bother with an extension cable for the test.

Seems to work great.

Now I have to test out a few more games and try it on my Vec...

Unfortunately, I'm still nowhere near the 20k needed in Protector to unlock Spike goes Down on my Vec. ;-)

Thanx to all involved!!!

desiv

• Like 2

Are you sure this game is still available? I just inquired about it by emailing the contact on that website a couple days ago, awaiting response. ... I feel like I've done this before though.

Or maybe there's something I'm missing about how to order from revival-studios...

Hi, just ordered V-hockey (vecvox supported) from revival-studios. I send an email to the emailaddress (info@...) mentioned on the ordering page stating my desire to buy a copy and got a reply within a day. Do not use the form on the mentioned page unless you want to subscribe to the newsletter, it is not for ordering. If you already did send an email like I did, perhaps you should check your spam folder. Good luck !

Hi, just ordered V-hockey (vecvox supported) from revival-studios. I send an email to the emailaddress (info@...) mentioned on the ordering page stating my desire to buy a copy and got a reply within a day. Do not use the form on the mentioned page unless you want to subscribe to the newsletter, it is not for ordering. If you already did send an email like I did, perhaps you should check your spam folder. Good luck !

Thanks for confirming the process derik. Glad to hear you were able to make your order.

Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what I did when I tried to order Debris on April 18th. I emailed "info@revival-studios.com", with subject: "Purchase Vectrex Game Cartridge". The message is still in my Sent folder, with no replies. Nothing in my Spam or Trash folder pertaining to this.

Maybe I should make my inquiry in another language?

Might want to try re-wording your subject line.

Could be his SPAM filter thought it was SPAM.

Maybe just something like:

Interested in Debris Revisited

And/or send from a different e-mail address if you have one.

I've had cases where my provider was temporarily blocked as a SPAM provider (No, I'm not on hotmail) by another provider.

Or maybe he just missed it...

or none of the above.. ;-)

Just some thoughts..

desiv

Y.A.S.I. (Yet Another Space Invaders) [On Protector/Y.A.S.I.]

Finally played this with speech.

"Insert Coin" "We are the superior race" "All your base belong..."

Fun and funny!

Note: This game and Debris Revisited use a "vector raster" technique.

:arrow: Vectrex: "Space Frenzy" Buy and download available here: http://www.classicga...com/frenzy.html

Has anyone tried the bin file for this one? I believe its public beta 1.0, and not quite sure if my vectrex is crazy or the voice is unfinished.

Anyone per chance have the bin for the digi-voice version?

Or, maybe better yet is there a thread on this site that has a list of sites that have roms? I know of a few myself, but unfortunately I dont think the retail version of this is available.

That's one of the ones I tried...

It's on my vecmulti...

I think that's the one I ended up switching to VecVoice mode from VecVox mod to get to work..

Nope, just swap that... (Just tried) In VecVoice, it's not right. It's much better in VecVox mode...

desiv

I received my AtariVox today. Its working great, and I'm thrilled to be Vox enabled again! :)

I wanted to say individual thanks to...

mos6507 - Awesome job on sourcing the components and all of the tedious tedious tedious work assembling the boards!

the.golden.ax - Thanks for the cool packaging, testing, all of the little details, and for dealing with the ugly logistics of getting this in the hands of the faithful!

Richard Hutchinson - Thanks for the time and effort in designing this fantastic bit of modern retro tech!

Alex Herbert - Vox wouldn't talk or save without the drivers, code examples, or your hard work. Thank-you, wherever the heck you are!

? - thank-you and sorry for anybody else I may have missed!

...I know its a bit grandiose thanking a list of people for a product, but I wanted to be sure that all of the buyers knew of your contributions, and who to thank for keeping the dream alive! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Could someone please post a photo of the final packaging? There isn't a single photo available of this, which is odd. I would have expected customers would be given a preview of what it looks like before ordering.

As a customer, I didn't expect that..

I already knew basically what the device looked like and what it did.

If no one else does, I'll take a pic of mine, packaging and all.

(Although I've modified the case so I could get to the DIP switches, and I'm working, so it will be a bit...)

Of course, now that the first batch is out, I'm sure future customers wouldn't mind nice pictures.

In fact, a website or thread with pics and a list of the games that use it (and how it uses it) would be nice. Yes, that information is available in several threads here, but some people don't like the search feature.. And they might be customers.. ;-)

desiv

I'd like to see the case label please.

BTW did Nathan design the new label too ?

Nathan did update the original AtariVox labels and, and I even printed them out. However, I was busy and didn't get them to Ax before he shipped the AtariVox+ units, so I'm not sure what the actual units look like. I was also working with Nathan on updating the manual, and those hadn't been printed yet.

..Al