IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Only a hand full look like that one (the very first few).

The majority look like this, and this photo was posted until sold out of the initial run:

voxy.png

A higher dpi printer was used. Label inspired by a "Hello I'm..." name tag.

voxy1.png

Box label, appears different directions on either side of the box spines:

voxy2.png

A copy of the manual is located here for future reference if anyone needs it.

http://thegoldenax.info/voxmanual.xls

It will be on the AA release.

Thanx for the image...

I'm planning on cutting a bit more to expose the other DIP switches a bit better, so a new label will be in order.

I can use the one you posted and it should look great.

I'll have to move the "AtariAge" and logo, but there's room above Richard's name....

Looks like it will work great...

desiv

My patience has been rewarded the Atarivox+ has finally arrived, It took a while since I live on the other side of the ocean.

How great that such a small piece of hardware can add so much joy to my beloved console(s).

Yesterday I played Debris revisted & V:hockey on my Vectrex and it was almost like Daft Punk joined in from the grid, fantastic.

Now I just need some more games/bin's with Vecvox support to play on my Vectrex and Atari 2600's.

Thanks to all involved !!

• Like 2

I want it I want it I want it !!!!

Edit: I tried to pm you but it wouldn't work. I just found this thread today and would love to have one of these. If I can get one now, please pm me with the details or put me on the list for the next batch.

Edited by roryjr

• 4 weeks later...

OK, it's about time I broke my self-imposed gag order on this.

As some of you know, I had a little disagreement with GoldenAx a while back. When I actually got him on chat, the two of us actually started to get to know each other for the first time, and I got filled in on a lot of stuff I didn't know about when I originally responded to his offer to handle fulfillment for me.

The reason I limited this to a run of 50 even though more units are available was that I wanted to see how well he handled the first batch. He reassured me he could handle this and not have any irate customers. He ALSO reassured me he would finally get some 25th anniversary 7800s out. I was basically gifting him the profit per unit in order to allow him to make good on those 7800 orders. It seemed like a win-win.

I was supposed to evaluate things on May 1st and here we are in June and Golden Ax is, as we all know, non-communicative. I am not aware of whether he made any 7800s. And it took actual customers to post screenshots of the final product. Nathan and AA went out of their way to make labels, but he rushed ahead and shipped units without them, which I don't like.

I don't know if he actually sold out all 50 or not. Last I heard, the preorders were well shy of 50 units. If that's the case, he can certainly finish up the run. If he HAS sold out all 50, then I am inclined to request that the remaining inventory be sent to AA.

I am understanding of someone's personal problems, but business is business. The asset value of those AtariVox+ units is substantial, which I am graciously waiving by giving them away, and I feel that I still have a right to determine who is charged with distributing it. I am writing off a LOT of money on this as a parting gift to the classic gaming community, so I want to make sure this unit remains available to order on-demand for as long as items are in stock.

I'm not going to make an immediate decision but I am expecting some form of communication to occur between me and GoldenAx and/or his wife to work something out.

It's not really a pressing matter one way or another because I do believe that everyone who really wanted these things went ahead and ordered them and got them already, and THAT is what my main objective was. If there are still a lot of Atari and/or Vectrex users who are being held up by things being in limbo, then it's a different story. So I can let this situation breathe for a while in the hopes that things can get back on track, but technically speaking, it's a month+ beyond the day I was going to make a call on this, and I am in need of some reassurances that this is in the proper hands.

Edited by mos6507

You handed it to the proper hands. Please continue to respect the fact he's having serious health issues. I have full faith that he will deliver.

UPDATE:

On my side I still haven't had enough time to add speech or high score saving to my latest game. Allowing more time for developers would make sure enthusiasts have more games to look forward to (and thus order an AtariVox).

Sent Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 PM

I guess since I have a few people that want them, I should start a list for the moment. What is your email address for paypal, and country? I'll either invoice you when I can sell some more, or pass your info along to whom ever does. If I'm doing the next wave it's $XX.XX+ $X.XX shipping USA/CA, $XX.XX international. $X for a regular cord $X for a modded VecX cord.

Thanks,

AX

I had no idea he was having health problems. I sent him a message at 5:05 and as you can see, he replied 12 minutes later with the above. I x'ed out the prices just in case, but I am still hopeful of getting one. I hope it all works out in a civil manner.

Sent Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 PM

I guess since I have a few people that want them, I should start a list for the moment. What is your email address for paypal, and country? I'll either invoice you when I can sell some more, or pass your info along to whom ever does. If I'm doing the next wave it's $XX.XX+ $X.XX shipping USA/CA, $XX.XX international. $X for a regular cord $X for a modded VecX cord.

Thanks,

AX

I had no idea he was having health problems. I sent him a message at 5:05 and as you can see, he replied 12 minutes later with the above. I x'ed out the prices just in case, but I am still hopeful of getting one. I hope it all works out in a civil manner.

I take it from this message that he's sold out all 50 of the initial run? I am out of the loop on this and having to pick up information indirectly, which doesn't feel too good, let me just say. I'm going to try to get filled in through his wife and go from there.

Edited by mos6507

I take it from this message that he's sold out all 50 of the initial run? I am out of the loop on this and having to pick up information indirectly, which doesn't feel too good, let me just say. I'm going to try to get filled in through his wife and go from there.

I was hoping that there may be some left as I followed this thread through the years, but I suppose not. I'll take one whenever I can get one.

<stuff>

Seriously?????????????

As a customer, I am very happy that Ax stepped in and gave me the opportunity to order this great product....

Please step back.. Look at the whole process from the beginning... From a customer perspective..

And what you have now is happy customers....

Ax is a HUGE part of THAT...

Thanx you Ax...

desiv

• Like 2

Seriously?????????????

As a customer, I am very happy that Ax stepped in and gave me the opportunity to order this great product....

Please step back.. Look at the whole process from the beginning... From a customer perspective..

And what you have now is happy customers....

Ax is a HUGE part of THAT...

Thanx you Ax...

desiv

Signed. (by a happy customer)

There seems to have been a lot of drama for Ax with this project. Posted grievances, deleted posts, and public airings of lack of confidence.

From my perspective as a customer, he delivered AtariVoxes quickly to people who had been waiting patiently for them for years. I could be wrong, but it seems like his persistence about the already-built units played a part in mos6507 coming back to the forum and generously providing them. I can't think of a single member that's encouraged vox-enabled games in recent years like Ax has.

Now his back is damaged and he's been only semi-responsive to recent inquiries. Bad health getting in the way? Delays of weeks after waiting for years? Seems like a good time to publicly speculate on yanking the project from his hands, I guess. :roll:

mos6507, clearly you're welcome to choose whichever venue you want for your own goods. Since there was already a AA release mentioned in this thread a month ago, it looks like the plan to replace Ax as the distributor for your units after #50 was discussed and decided. Run with that plan or don't, but this public hand-wringing just makes everybody involved look bad.

I've been the AtariVox developer-cheerleader for years now, building one from scratch from speakjet reference designs, producing 2 hacks (both ignored bounty requests from mos6507), 2 original AtariVox voice-enhanced projects, and a bunch of dev documentation. As an ardent supporter, the public drama has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I can only imagine how its souring others.

Hello, for those of you who do not know yet I am the wife of the golden.ax. I have been working along side of Ax as packer for many years. You may not know it but if you have done business with Ax then you have done business with me too. Recently due to the worsening of his health, I have taken over both halves of our business and would be happy to send the VOX to anyone who requests it. You can PM me for further details.

Thanks,

Sally

• Like 2

If I give away my inventory, I am giving my personal endorsement that the person who is going to take people's money is trustworthy. Ax's reputation as a vendor is not flawless. The big black mark on his reputation revolves around the 25th anniversary 7800s. The details of that situation were not fully known to me when I sent inventory to him. Personality-clashes aside, I felt it was appropriate to couple his right to keep selling units beyond the first batch of 50 to finally getting some 7800s built and shipped. He portrayed a Catch-22 situation to me--that, if I were to keep him from selling AtariVoxes, I was pulling the rug out from under him because he needed to funnel the profit from that into bulding those 7800s. This wasn't something he was doing purely out of kicks. He was counting on this. The AtariVoxes were the key for him to be able to find closure with those customers. And I didn't know he had these ulterior motives, or that it would be such a tragedy for him to just send this stuff to AA instead. So rather than deciding whether to allow him to sell them all or give them all away to AA, I limited it to 50 units, which I felt would have satisfied the lion's share of demand, after which I would see how well it went and reevaluate. To me, this was a reasonable compromise. I don't feel I put the thumb-screws to him and I am definitely sympathetic to his extenuating circumstances.

I don't think it's warranted for people here to start filing themselves into one camp or another. Where things left off, I was at a state of peace with Ax. If there's something that bugs me the most about how this went down, it's that there was no proactive communication at all from him after our real-time chat. I was left completely out of the loop and by the time I PMed him he didn't respond. I was working behind the scenes with AA to get the labels done for him. And those labels never got used. So we were all trying to be helpful. But all I knew about this was from the few posts he made on the forums or hearing things 2nd-hand through Albert.

However, I have since had PMs with his wife who has told me that he has sold out the 50 and built the 3 Atari 7800s as per the original agreement.

Therefore I've told her they can just keep on selling out remaining inventory, but I would appreciate a little PM every now and again to be told how well things are going. The end goal I'd like to see is all the remaining 7800s getting built and shipped. I know Ax wants to get there as much I want to see him get there, let alone those who have been waiting all this time for them. It's comforting that his wife is packing and shipping orders, but she can't build those 7800s. He has to, and he already told me how much of a physical strain it is for him to do that, so I am concerned about this going forward, even if he has the money for parts.

For right now, though, there's no need for preorders or wait-lists or any of that at this point. They can just keep selling Atarivox+ units ad hoc.

Edited by mos6507

For right now, though, there's no need for preorders or wait-lists or any of that at this point. They can just keep selling Atarivox+ units ad hoc.

I sincerely thank you for your generosity, initially and to keep the Vox available.

I have ordered two AtariVox+ from Ax. I love them.

(I can't really comment on the 7800 project, I didn't order one. If XM module or its case comes with it, they aren't done because the XM has been delayed.)

I have ordered games from Ax's sale threads and a game from eBay to help he and his family make end meet. Bills and family come before projects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Don't know if it is still up to date...

... but I'm interested with one of these items for my VECTREX.

Am I on the right place ???

Thx to all.....

Yes. AtariVox+ also works as a VecVoice and VecVox.

You have to pop the plastic case open and change the slide switches, as it comes set for Atari.

Send PM (Send Me a Message) to http://atariage.com/forums/user/23353-wolfpackmommy/