IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

When you get one you'll see why Man Goes Down is RevEng's #1 game.

Speech really makes this game wonderful. Man goes down definitely moved into my top ten.

Didn't Alex H. also do Vectrex Protector (Defender)? That's my #1 Vectrex game, for many reasons, one of them being it shouldn't be possible to do all that on a Vectrex.

When you get one you'll see why Man Goes Down is RevEng's #1 game.

Speech really makes this game wonderful. Man goes down definitely moved into my top ten.

Didn't Alex H. also do Vectrex Protector (Defender)? That's my #1 Vectrex game, for many reasons, one of them being it shouldn't be possible to do all that on a Vectrex.

The speech in MGD is fantastic, and really shows off Alex's quirky sense of humour.

And yep, it's the same Alex Herbert of Vectrex Protector and YASI fame. A proto version of MGD is a bonus game in Protector

I sent a PM after reading the development thread, but as long as everyone's registering their interest here, so am I. (As both a developer and a user.)

The last decade has done a number on my sense of self in much the same way as happened to Glenn, but I'm working on reclaiming my identity and part of that is coding VCS games. I had been experimenting with some audio tricks that I hoped would allow crude (Intellivision Baseball level) speech without needing to blank the screen or use up a bunch of each scanline, without getting very far. Widespread availability of Atarivoxen would make that a moot point.

I'd like to express my interest in purchasing one of these, too! Will PM's be sent out to interested parties or will there be a way to order from here?

Also, concerning this:

A proto version of MGD is a bonus game in Protector

I recently purchased the Protector/YASI cart from John D. and got well beyond the 20k points, but this MGD clone Spike Goes Down is not available. Was it unique to Protector LE?

I'm not a vectrex owner (sadly) but it seems like it wasn't included with Protector/YASI

**Since the release of Limited Edition Protector, Alex Herbert has released another game called YASI (Yet Another Space Invaders). Together on the YASI cartridge he has included Protector. Though this time the hidden game 'Spike Goes Down' is not included plus the packaging is not the same plus no overlay.

I'd like to express my interest in purchasing one of these, too! Will PM's be sent out to interested parties or will there be a way to order from here?

Also, concerning this:

I recently purchased the Protector/YASI cart from John D. and got well beyond the 20k points, but this MGD clone Spike Goes Down is not available. Was it unique to Protector LE?

Yes, the first 50 or so will go to people who expressed an interest through posting in this thread. Note, I can't see the poll votes, so you have to post a message reply on this thread for now. Sooner or later after those, there will be more offered but there are no facts, or dates, nailed down after the initial offering just yet. We are just going to get through this first batch. The point is if you want in right away, post that desire here. If you miss out on this first wave, there will eventually be another opportunity (you won't miss out). I think I can say with certainty that anyone that wants a vox is going to have one when it's all said and done. That's the goal.

Yes, the first 50 or so will go to people who expressed an interest through posting in this thread. Note, I can't see the poll votes, so you have to post a message reply on this thread for now. Sooner or later after those, there will be more offered but there are no facts, or dates, nailed down after the initial offering just yet. We are just going to get through this first batch. The point is if you want in right away, post that desire here. If you miss out on this first wave, there will eventually be another opportunity (you won't miss out). I think I can say with certainty that anyone that wants a vox is going to have one when it's all said and done. That's the goal.

Would you consider donating one to the Stella project? I already have a version 1, but it's always hooked up to my development system, for testing with Stella. It would be nice to have another to always leave in the 2600 console. Note that there isn't a rush for this, and it doesn't have to be from the first 50. If you're willing, whenever you want to send one along :)

Here's AtariVox with TIA accompaniment, singing the short 21 Blue jingle...

21 Blue Theme with accompanyment.mp3

When are we gonna see that on cart? :D My money has kept magnetically moving out of my wallet toward you, but I keep having to push it down and say "NO! NOT YET!"

Also, at ax, I don't remember if I said I was interested, but of course I'm in for one. :)

Another quick question? Why are the Speak Jet chips so damn expensive? Patent royalties? Exotic chip layout? I can't imagine why these chips would cost much more to fabricate than a typical microcontroller or logic chip.

The "because it's for the hobby market" price. The chip is just a PIC18F1320 with the part number sanded off and a new one printed on. Checking the cost of the chips, if you buy 100 blanks they cost you $2.65 each on Digikey. Singles cost $4.10. You're paying for the code inside the chip more than the chip itself. Not bad, an 8-10x markup on the blanks. Of course you cannot just buy those microcontrollers and use them without the code, and the Speakjet parts are read protected.

Speaking of the Speakjet, does the Atarivox replace the Speakjet default EEPROM data? A stock one stays "Ready" when you fire it up. I suspect this is disabled since it gets annoying each time the system is booted.

When are we gonna see that on cart? :D My money has kept magnetically moving out of my wallet toward you, but I keep having to push it down and say "NO! NOT YET!"

Dunno. It's in Al's hands, so I can't say when it will be out. Other stuff has come and gone in the meantime, so it may be a while.