IGNORED

Guitar Hero World Tour

GruBBworM

• 3 weeks later...
Saving on SD cards is the way to go if you plan on downloading a lot of songs. The Wii system memory is then used as a “content cache.” This means you only need to have the free space for one song in the Wii system memory

Source: http://www.wiimedia.com/news/view/guitar_h...ard_200_blocks/

Edited by jbanes

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the DLC on Guitar Hero:World Tour? I tried it for the first time today, and I must say... Harmonix ought to be ashamed of themselves. The GH:WT interface slickly downloads songs to your internal memory and even gives you the option of moving the song to an SD Card before saving it permanently. The SD Card transfer is very zippy (I'm still on Update 3.3!) and is done within seconds. When you want to play, the songs show up in the song list as "Downloaded Songs". Even when they're on the SD Card!

Playing from the SD Card is also slick. There's no perceptible difference in load time. The song loads and plays as normal. Interestingly, the song comes with a new singer character (presumably a character-creator mockup of the original artist) along with new dance move animations for the character. e.g. On Electro-Rock the character did the robot for part of the song. Very nice.

But what of this mythical hard drive that Harmonix DEMANDED from Nintendo before they could possibly implement DLC? As expected, it's complete bollocks. At ~250-300 blocks per song, the GH:WT songs reach the ~40MB/track that Harmonix insisted were too large. I do agree that they're large for the Wii's measly 2000 available blocks, but the SD Card support makes that problem disappear completely. Even with everything I ever downloaded on my Wii backed up on my 2GB SD Card, I still have over 10,000 blocks available to download songs to. The two songs I've downloaded so far take up ~500 blocks. The SD Card doesn't even flinch at that cost.

And remember! That 250-300 blocks includes the song, the vocal track, the drum track, the guitar track, the bass track, a new character, and character animations. Which means that the song sounds, looks, and feels like it came with the game.

If Harmonix had any decency, they'd own up to their misleading comments and apologize to their customers. The number of entities Harmonix tried to blame for their own failings is just despicable. At least they had the good sense to lower the price on the original RB game to $99. That doesn't make up for anything, but at least it better accounts for the loss in value the Wii version received during its downgrade to a substandard PS2 port.

I'd get into all the other stuff that GH:WT does that Harmonix said was impossible on the Wii, but I'll save that for another post. :D

Amen brother! I couldn't agree more.

My hat is off to Activision on figuring out how to make songs downloadable for the Wii, the only real DLC I ever wanted for my console. Not only that, GH performs this allegedly impossible miracle seamlessly and easily. And yeah, Harmonix definitely has egg on its face now. Good thing they had to dump the price of their first Rock Band bundle since once RB2 comes out no one will ever want that lousy first attempt on Wii. I'm just glad RB2 will support the GH III guitar because there's no way I'm buying anything more than the stand-alone disc of Rock Band 2.

Sorry to all you Rock Band fans out there if I sound ticked off but I am really getting annoyed at developers tossing out half-assed Wii games when the machine is capable of so much better (as GH proves with its DLC now).

I'm just glad RB2 will support the GH III guitar because there's no way I'm buying anything more than the stand-alone disc of Rock Band 2.

Oooo! That is good news! If RB2 ends up being compatible with the GH:WT drums, I'll also consider picking up a disc copy. (The Mic appears to be the exact same USB model between the two games, so no worries there.) Harmonix has a lot to apologize for, but this combined with RB2 DLC is a good first step. :)

So I have Guitar Hero World Tour but I live in an apartment so I bought the game only and play it with my GH III guitar. I love the game and have completed all the songs on Medium (building up the courage to go into Hard mode). But I always wondered what the drums and mic experience is like.

Luckily a friend of mine got the full GH WT pack for Wii yesterday and I went round to try it out.

I have to say, as much fun as it is and a totally party game to be sure, the drums are not terribly fun. They’re not bad but unlike the guitar controller which makes you feel like you’re really playing guitar, the drum controller just makes you feel like you’re plinking bottles, not really drumming. And what I found is I am totally uncoordinated when it comes to drums. I played on Easy and usually that means one drum and one cymbal and very occasionally the other cymbal but any weird songs that deviated from that pattern I would just hit anything that moved till I found my rhythm again. So missing drums is not really a deal breaker for me in my place.

And singing is not easy either. Yes, that’s right, I sang. I had to try all aspects of the game, right? Although I was able to belt out some sweet tunes on the Singstar game in the past, I found the GH words were just too darn small to read. And my friend has a big TV. So being without the singing component is also not a deal breaker if you have just the guitar alone.

Guitar Hero World Tour, played only with guitars, is still about 85% of the whole game experience. It was good research.

The drums take a bit of practice before they become fun. The most important part is to learn to hit them like real drums. The temptation is to gently tap them so as not to damage your $200 investment. Unfortunately, you're never going to get into the drumming like that. You need to hold the sticks loosely and *THWACK* the drums a good one. You should get a deep (but reasonably soft) drum sound upon impact.

If you play the drums any other way, you're never going to find the beat. If you don't find the beat, you're not going to get into the game. Worse yet, you'll never get past anything more than the easiest songs. Remember when you first learned the guitar and you couldn't quite make it through some of the songs on easy because the notes went to fast? Well, it's a bit like that. You have to find the beat and flow with it.

Singing is easy provided you know the song and control your voice. It always sounds like singers on stage are really belting out a song with gusto and energy. Well, maybe some are. But most singers have neither the power nor the range to pull off such an impressive performance. Just modulate your voice to a comfortable octave and sing at a relatively low volume. If you emulate the singer a bit, you should be able to sing in no time flat.

(e.g. "What I've Done" takes a very soft voice that moves up and down very little. Whereas "Eye of the Tiger" goes up and down all over the place and is a bit harsher. "The One I Love" demands that you hit two notes and sustain them. Which isn't nearly as hard as it sounds if you conserve your breath by singing at a lower volume. And "Hotel California" is a smidge harder than it looks on the surface.)

Hope that helps. I'm still getting into the drums, but I can say that singing is one of my favorite parts of the game. Pick yourself up a good USB mic and try it out. :)

I'm just glad RB2 will support the GH III guitar because there's no way I'm buying anything more than the stand-alone disc of Rock Band 2.

Oooo! That is good news! If RB2 ends up being compatible with the GH:WT drums, I'll also consider picking up a disc copy. (The Mic appears to be the exact same USB model between the two games, so no worries there.) Harmonix has a lot to apologize for, but this combined with RB2 DLC is a good first step. :)

Well well well well, what do you know? According to this site, Harmonix told IGN to pull down their story indicating that GH III controllers work in Rock Band 2. Nice one guys. Well it better be playable with GH III controllers, Harmonix or you can kiss my purchase good-bye.

I have got Rock Band AC/DC live, which is supposedly based on RB2.

If that is the case then I can confirm that GH3 Guitars work, I don't have the drums myself, so not sure if they work or not

Edited by mimo

I have got Rock Band AC/DC live, which is supposedly based on RB2.

The engine in that game is almost the same, but the drum support hadn't been added yet. Drum support for GH:WT drums was added in RB2, which will be available for the Wii on December 22nd.

BTW, the GH:WT drums absolutely ROCK! When I was playing them on easy, it was just interesting. Not quite as cool as guitar, but interesting. Then on a lark I upped the difficulty to medium. Wow. What a difference that made! Suddenly I was rocking out like a drummer, whacking my drums at 60 bpm. Yet despite the fast pace, I was able to keep up with the beat and adjust to changes in the note pattern. I'm not quite five star material yet, but I am having tons of fun! ;)

Well well well well, what do you know? According to this site, Harmonix told IGN to pull down their story indicating that GH III controllers work in Rock Band 2. Nice one guys. Well it better be playable with GH III controllers, Harmonix or you can kiss my purchase good-bye.

So according to this site, Harmonix has stated the reason RB 2 is delayed so long is because they are testing the heck out of its online and making sure Wii owners get the full experience other console owners have. And they confirm GH controllers will work with RB 2. Okay, if that's all the case, I will cut them some slack. I appreciate a company making sure a game is polished before they release it, so given they are putting forth the effort for Wii, I guess I don't mind so much.

I will be getting this game (standalone) once I hear for certain from other owners that their GH III controllers definitely still work on the final product.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got GH: World Tour (Wii) for X-Mas from my wife (gotta love her) and I have to say I love it.

I will refrain from a full review, but I'll give my impressions as a veteran of GH 1 and 2 on the PS2...

The good:

-The drums rock! Thanks for the suggestion of hitting them without being afraid of damaging them. The stand is solid metal and the pads feel like they can take a beating. I made the jump to medium after a few songs and it feels great!

- I love the addition of the microphone. With this (set to beginner) my 3-year-old can join the fun and we never seem to fail, even if she stops "singing" partway through the song.

- I love beginner mode. For those that don't know, in beginner mode, you can hit ANY note, as long as you keep the beat of the music. This is how my 6-year-old plays drums (although she can do easy mode on some songs).

- The song list is good. All the songs are original versions, no covers. But, many of the songs still sound a bit "off." Not sure if it's the game or how we are playing.

The not-so-good:

- I had concerns about any wireless guitar and the Wii guitar does seem to miss notes on harder difficulties when you need to hit them fast. I can 5-star songs on medium and get by on hard on the PS2, but I had trouble keeping the max multiplier on medium on the Wii. It just misses some.

- The drums are battery-eaters. Expect to change them every 3-4 hours.

- Why does the singer need a Wiimote? i should be able to select a player to be the singer, then use that Wiimote in a second guitar or something.

- Navigating menus is a bit of a chore.

General Wii gripe:

- Why is it so hard to read text on the Wii? I can't read a damn thing in NHL 2K8, and I can't read any of the song/band names on the Wii during gameplay (but I can read them on the menu).

My sister bought GH World Tour for her husband. It's a lot of fun!

I found a cheat to unlock all the songs on the Wii version though I've not had a chance to test it yet.

Select Options then Cheats:

Blue, Blue, Red, Green, Green, Blue, Blue, Yellow

Edited by Math You

I just thought I'd let everyone know, I got Rock Band 2 on Wii and I can definitely verify it does indeed work with the Wii Guitar Hero III controller. Everything from the whammy bar to the tilting for star power works just fine. The only thing that is not perfect about it (and it's minor) is when you are quitting the game, you should be able to use the thumbstick on the guitar to move your pointer over to where it says Wii Menu in order to get back to the main screen and in Rock Band 2 that thumbstick stops working after you have played the game. It works fine for launching the game but seems to be severed after you're exitting.

I got Rock Band 2 and GHWT and I definitely prefer Rock Band 2, it just feels more polished somehow, and it has a better tracklist imo.

GH drums should arrive in the morning (even got my wifes blessing for that purchase :D )