IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 15: Bump 'n' Jump

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You're on the road, surrounded by a pack of cars. Anything goes! Bump 'em... bash 'em... crash 'em off the road... before they bump you into the weeds! Jump over waterways and jump on cars to smash 'em! Watch out for obstacles in your way. Keep driving!

s_BumpNJump_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Bump 'n' Jump
  • Released By: M Network, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: DarthCalvin

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday December 17th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 999,999 (shadow460) [+11]
    999,999 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 438,904 (DarthCalvin) [+10]
  3. 313,192 (darthkur) [+9]
  4. 205,752 (Kurt_Woloch) [+8]
  5. 204,128 (aftermac) [+7]
  6. 156,572 (toymailman) [+6]
  7. 112,152 (jjd) [+5]
  8. 108,220 (Jess Ragan) [+4]
  9. 52,896 (Impaler_26) [+3]
  10. 24,988 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 12,800 (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]

Best Tips
  • shadow460 [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 319,596 (Marc Cohen)
  2. 312,680 (Robert Macauley) (PAL)
  3. 271,952 (Pete Rocha)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [146]
  2. Deteacher [140]
  3. DarthCalvin [107]
  4. darthkur [91]
  5. aftermac [91]
  6. jjd [71]
  7. SpiceWare [52]
  8. Impaler_26 [49]
  9. the 5th ghost [47]
  10. Hornpipe2 [47]
  11. Kurt_Woloch [44]
  12. Mister VCS [35]
  13. Nathan Strum [30]
  14. LarcenTyler [28]
  15. Zoyx [22]
  16. Spector [20]
  17. Omegamatrix [19]
  18. ClassicGMR [18]
  19. Jess Ragan [14]
  20. iangamer [14]
  21. homerwannabee [11]
  22. midnight magicman [11]
  23. LoneWolfSeth [11]
  24. shadow460 [11]
  25. Random Terrain [10]
  26. maf [9]
  27. missioncontrol [8]
  28. SeaGtGruff [8]
  29. chuckwalla [7]
  30. LS_Dracon [7]
  31. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  32. phaxda [5]
  33. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  34. rheffera [2]
  35. ratfink [2]
  36. Yar76 [1]
  37. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Bump 'n' Jump
  • You accumulate points as you drive through each roadway. The further you drive, the more points you get.
  • You also get 300 points for each car that crashes.
  • If you make it to the end of a roadway, you get a bonus of 500 points for each car that crashed!
  • Get 50,000 bonus points if you don't crash any cars during an entire roadway!

Hints and Tips
  • Keep your speed over 100 mph so you can jump at any time!
  • Steer your car toward the center of the roadway. If you're near the side, you could get bumped off the road and crash!
  • If you are about to crash...jump!
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copyavailable online. Here are the hints it provides:
Deteacher
1. When making your first jump across a waterway, if there's an area that you can drive on, move your car into that strip, but keep jumping, even though you don't have to. Sometimes, the end of that strip is blocked and you want to be in the air to sail over it.

2. When the road is divided into 2 lanes, stay on the right side. Most of the other cars will be on the left side.

3. Obviously, the big points are accumulated by not killing the other cars. Sometimes, you can just jump over them. Other times, it's better to slow down and maneuver around them. Learn how to do this (especially around the skull and crossbones cars.) You don't want to be caught in mid air when the road turns to water.
shadow460
All isn't lost if you do bump a couple of cars, though. If you destroy one other car, go on a rampage and knock off as many more as you can. Each car is worth a total of 800 points--300 when you kill it and 500 at the end of the stage. At that rate, knocking 10 or 12 cars off gets you partway to another bonus car.

It's worth losing a car to keep from hitting other vehicles, though. At the end of a stage you don't have much time to bump stuff around, so if you have to crash once or even twice to avoid killing something, do it. I think extra cars are awrded every 40,000 points, and you get 50,000 for not killing anyone, so you will get an extra car if you can complete the race that way. If you have less than four cars in reserve, the object is to stay alive. This goes double on the difficult roads. If you've got more than four reserve cars, you can give one up to try for the 50,000 bonus.

Oh, and it's not a good idea to keep jumping if you are able to land on a bridge. Ride it out to the end. There are some places on the second set of roads where the rivers are so close that if you jump to exit one, you will land in the next. It all boils down to memorizing the nine courses in the game and playing it by memory.

EDIT: Second river on the second Fall course. It should be Road 8. When you see the flashing !, speed up to the full 220 MPH. This may be one of the courses where you have to bump a few cars off, especially in this area. Jump as normal, as soon as you see water. You will bounce off a small island and land on a long strip. Slow the car to 112 MPH and jump from the strip at the last possible second. You should bounce off a half island, and then onto solid ground. If your game ends here, post the final score and then hit Select to replay the road until you get it down.

final bit of advice: Lose the CX-10 on this game, and get yourself a joystick that says "top" at the top. The original sticks aren't quite responsive enough to fine tune your car's position on the road.

Also, I was wrong about how the courses are divided up. There's two sets of four, starting with Winter. You'll go through the first set, which has four individual rivers in each course. The second set has four groups of rivers, and ends with the Fall course described above. The next Winter course is the same as the first course you play.

The 5th road is what, winter #2? Just stay alive through it and forget the bonus. Also, stay out of the middle of the widest sections, and learn to land on the bridges. The rough part is exiting the bridge without crashing, you have to have android fast reflexes in order to determine whether to jump because there's a barrier at the end or to drive straight so you can jump the next river a split second later.

--Zero

2804 I think the nes version is better still a stellla game for me I hate using stella too glitichy for me

Are you referring to Stella the emulator being 'too glitchy'? Can you give a better bug report than that? What exactly are you having problems with??

Here are some tips:

1. When making your first jump across a waterway, if there's an area that you can drive on, move your car into that strip, but keep jumping, even though you don't have to. Sometimes, the end of that strip is blocked and you want to be in the air to sail over it.

2. When the road is divided into 2 lanes, stay on the right side. Most of the other cars will be on the left side.

3. Obviously, the big points are accumulated by not killing the other cars. Sometimes, you can just jump over them. Other times, it's better to slow down and maneuver around them. Learn how to do this (especially around the skull and crossbones cars.) You don't want to be caught in mid air when the road turns to water.

post-9712-1229033511_thumb.jpg

All isn't lost if you do bump a couple of cars, though. If you destroy one other car, go on a rampage and knock off as many more as you can. Each car is worth a total of 800 points--300 when you kill it and 500 at the end of the stage. At that rate, knocking 10 or 12 cars off gets you partway to another bonus car.

It's worth losing a car to keep from hitting other vehicles, though. At the end of a stage you don't have much time to bump stuff around, so if you have to crash once or even twice to avoid killing something, do it. I think extra cars are awrded every 40,000 points, and you get 50,000 for not killing anyone, so you will get an extra car if you can complete the race that way.

I need to get my copy out and play some. I've come close to rolling the score, but I don't have an hour to play in order to do so again. There's a definite break point in the game' learning curve, and that's why we have an 800K score up there compared to several ~180K scores. Once you hit the breakpoint, your score will go from ~180K to something infinite, depending on how much endurance you have.

Edited by shadow460

1,044,204 and it's probably my final for the week.

313,784 first try, and I got forced to jump too soon several times on the second Fall road. That is where the odd jump is in the one river, so I'm gonna get the correct speed down pat on that one and try again later.

Oh, and it's not a good idea to keep jumping if you are able to land on a bridge. Ride it out to the end. There are some places on the second set of roads where the rivers are so close that if you jump to exit one, you will land in the next. It all boils down to memorizing the nine courses in the game and playing it by memory.

EDIT: Second river on the second Fall course. It should be Road 8. When you see the flashing !, speed up to the full 220 MPH. This may be one of the courses where you have to bump a few cars off, especially in this area. Jump as normal, as soon as you see water. You will bounce off a small island and land on a long strip. Slow the car to 112 MPH and jump from the strip at the last possible second. You should bounce off a half island, and then onto solid ground. If your game ends here, post the final score and then hit Select to replay the road until you get it down.

final bit of advice: Lose the CX-10 on this game, and get yourself a joystick that says "top" at the top. The original sticks aren't quite responsive enough to fine tune your car's position on the road.

EDIT again: Rolled it over! This one's for Deteacher. :P You don't score just 40,000 points after thirty-four roads!

Also, I was wrong about how the courses are divided up. There's two sets of four, starting with Winter. You'll go through the first set, which has four individual rivers in each course. The second set has four groups of rivers, and ends with the Fall course described above. The next Winter course is the same as the first course you play.

post-7210-1229067193_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow460

EDIT again: Rolled it over! This one's for Deteacher. :P You don't score just 40,000 points after thirty-four roads!

Yeah, I was thinking about not posting until I rolled it, but then I thought "What the heck."

Once you learn to maneuver around the cars, it's a pretty mindless game. Still fun, though.

I figure it takes roughly 60-90 seconds to complete a board, depending on how often you have to slow down. You could, in theory roll the score in about 30-40 minutes (if you completed 20 roads in a row without killing a single car.)

I'll join you in the "rolled the score club" Shadow...sometime this weekend, probably. :)

Edited by Deteacher

did ya roll, it, aftermac? I may try to roll the road counter this week.

One thing, though. you won't get that bonus after every road. Just look at my screen shot where I hit one car off the road. You gotta stay patient and try to nail the bonus on the easy Winter, Spring, and Summer roads, then try to nail it again on one or two of the more difficult boards. Let me modify my earlier advice, though. If you have less than four cars in reserve, the object is to stay alive. This goes double on the difficult roads. If you've got more than four reserve cars, you can give one up to try for the 50,000 bonus.

If you do, you are a better man than I...

post-9504-1229140947_thumb.jpg

It's a good start, now I just have to muster up the patience to roll it. Not that it takes a long time but I have to be in a trance-like state to dodge every car on the road.

One thing, though. you won't get that bonus after every road. Just look at my screen shot where I hit one car off the road. You gotta stay patient and try to nail the bonus on the easy Winter, Spring, and Summer roads, then try to nail it again on one or two of the more difficult boards. Let me modify my earlier advice, though. If you have less than four cars in reserve, the object is to stay alive. This goes double on the difficult roads. If you've got more than four reserve cars, you can give one up to try for the 50,000 bonus.

Haven't rolled it yet... still trying to learn the 5th road. They start to get pretty tough!

If you roll the road counter you deserve some bonus points!

The 5th road is what, winter #2? Just stay alive through it and forget the bonus. Also, stay out of the middle of the widest sections, and learn to land on the bridges. The rough part is exiting the bridge without crashing, you have to have android fast reflexes in order to determine whether to jump because there's a barrier at the end or to drive straight so you can jump the next river a split second later.

I'd practie it some even after the HSC. Even though the scores don't count, the threads are still open for discussion so you can post your achievements.

Good luck!

Rolled it. Did it in 25 roads! Took 2 pics. The first one is right before rolling it. The next one is 50,000 points later.

Shadow is going to try to roll the road counter. I'm going to try to roll the score in 20 roads, which would be the fastest way to roll it. :)

post-9712-1229222471_thumb.jpg

post-9712-1229222477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher