IGNORED

Tetris

atari2600land

Problem: Once a line is filled, the line doesn't disappear until the next shape has hit the bottom, then the line disappears and the remaining blocks go down, but the current shape disappears. No matter what I do, it always has to be this way. Help would be appreciated. Also, the only shape I programmed in so far is the long one.

tetris.bas

tetris.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

• 4 months later...

Funny you should mention that. I've always wanted Edtris, but didn't know how to go about getting it and didn't want to go the Hozer route. Borrowing some notes from the title screen of this unreleased game, I've made a little title screen ditty. Also, if you got 60 lines, the color didn't change back to green. I've fixed this. The color scheme is as follows:

0-9 green, 10-19 yellow, 20-29 orange, 30-39 red, 40-49 purple, 50-59 blue, and it loops back to green at 60 lines.

tetris8.bas.bin

tetris8.bas

• 1 month later...

I don't know why I quit working on this, but I did, and now I'm back to this again. I'd really like this to see a release, seeing as how Edtris is no longer available, and the Tetris clones seem to not be working on any more (Chetiry, NIRB). So what do I need to do next in order to make this releasable? By the way, I'm not going to have the blocks drop faster over time since there's only 10 rows.

tetris11.bas.bin

tetris11.bas

I'd really appreciate some feedback on version 13.

I like the title screen-- the way you use the Tetris pieces as letters and numbers.

I like the title music. I wonder if you could add another "verse"? Like have the first part repeat a few times, then the next part plays to give a little variation, then it switches back to the first part, etc. Maybe change the key for the second part?

The controls seem sluggish and unresponsive. I was trying to move left and right, or rotate the pieces, and it seemed difficult. I think rotating the pieces seemed especially difficult.

Since you're using the playfield to draw the pieces, and the playfield pixels are taller than they are wide, some of the pieces change dramatically when you rotate them-- in particular, the long piece, ****. You're using 16k, so I think if you were to switch to 16kSC, and move the playfield to Superchip RAM, you could change the height of the playfield pixels to make them squares. Then the pieces would look the same when you rotate them. This would also give you more rows.

Good work so far! :thumbsup:

Michael

The controls seem sluggish and unresponsive. I was trying to move left and right, or rotate the pieces, and it seemed difficult. I think rotating the pieces seemed especially difficult.

Since you're using the playfield to draw the pieces, and the playfield pixels are taller than they are wide, some of the pieces change dramatically when you rotate them-- in particular, the long piece, ****. You're using 16k, so I think if you were to switch to 16kSC, and move the playfield to Superchip RAM, you could change the height of the playfield pixels to make them squares. Then the pieces would look the same when you rotate them. This would also give you more rows.

I thought about changing it to use Superchip RAM. For something that I'd really want to release someday, how much more expensive would it cost to produce and sell? I'll change it to Superchip for now, but I'll leave the option of a non-Superchip version on the table. I'll change the controls so they'll be faster and (hopefully) more responsive.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's very promising. The music and the giant "game over" is gold, and the control is definitely better than the previous versions!

But on the subject of control, I've got a few relatively minor suggestions:

* Some tetris clones don't allow you to rotate a long piece near a wall, others push out the piece to make the rotation happen. You're using the former technique, but I think the latter technique adds to playability.

* A lot of tetrises allow you to tap the joystick to move faster than the "hold the stick" speed. Playability++, especially when the drop speed gets frantic.

* I think the pull-down speed is a bit slow compared to the other tetrises.

* IMO the rotation should be debounced, rather than having a speed. ie. press fire once=one rotation, until you let go and press again.

If you're looking for an easy game variation to add in, you might try alternate shaped pieces. I wrote a tetris clone in the early 90's, and the alternate pieces would mess up all of the "tetris pattern matching" cells in your brain.

(Ignore the dots. They're for spacing)

.#

#

#

.#

# (four blocks on top of each other, which my engine didn't care about)

# (this one fits into the top one)

#

Edited by RevEng