IGNORED

Tetris

atari2600land

After discovering that some combinations of pieces weren't falling down the way they were supposed to, I spent hours trying to get it right. I think I did here. I copied and pasted the same thing that worked for player0 to player1, so both players should work good now. As usual, please report any bugs you see.

tetris2player8.bas.bin

tetris2player8.bas

• Like 1

The 1-player mode is pretty much done at this point, unless, of course, you or I spot any bugs. I still need to know what happens if someone reaches a game over in 2-player mode. Does the other player keep playing until they get game over too, or does he/she automatically win and the game is over?

tetris2player9.bas.bin

tetris2player9.bas

• Like 1

I believe he means what happens in "official" 2-player tetris, not his program.

But AFAIK there is no official 2 player tetris. Some clones have the game end when one of the players lose, other have you play it out.

One feature some have, which you may choose to copy, is if you get a tetris it causes your opponent to have his stack move up and random blocks inserted on the bottom rows.

But AFAIK there is no official 2 player tetris. Some clones have the game end when one of the players lose, other have you play it out.

This is what I was thinking about:

(1) Stop the losing player's score and display "GAME OVER," but let the other player keep playing until he loses.

(2) The player who lasted the longest gets a marker (maybe using a "spare life" icon or something).

(3) Each player's high score is remembered and displayed.

Then the two players can decide how they want to determine the overall winner-- first player to earn two markers (i.e., outlasting the other player on "two out of three" rounds); or whoever gets the highest high score overall. Or something like that.

Michael

• 1 month later...

I got back to working on this, and I solved the problem I was having. Now, I think line clearing more than once is good, but if you see any bugs, please report them. If you want the two player game, have the right difficulty switch be A (F7 in Stella), otherwise, you'll get the one player game.

tetris2player11a.bas.bin

tetris2player11a.bas

• Like 1

Made it so the dreaded red number doesn't show up during the two-player game. Please play this version instead of 11a, as I changed a few other lines of code.

Attached File(s)

tetris2player13.bas.bin ( 32K ) Number of downloads: 5

tetris2player13.bas ( 33.74K ) Number of downloads: 1

Wow! you did a good job!! all i can think of next is to make

the blocks in different colors.

• Like 1

Made it so the dreaded red number doesn't show up during the two-player game. Please play this version instead of 11a, as I changed a few other lines of code.

Attached File(s)
tetris2player13.bas.bin ( 32K ) Number of downloads: 5
tetris2player13.bas ( 33.74K ) Number of downloads: 1

Wow, you're doing a great job! All i can think of doing next is making the blocks different colors. Edited by smartkitten26

Thanks for the compliments. I think I've fixed the bug I talked about earlier. Please play this and see if there's any new ones that popped up, especially the 2-player version.

I haven't really found any bugs yet (I've only been playing for five minutes), but I think that two player mode should be sped up a little.

Edited by smartkitten26

I found a few more bugs and squished them (hopefully). The program isn't the way I want it to be, but it'll have to do. I hate being a perfectionist. I sped up the two-player game by cutting time in half. Hopefully it's not too fast now. The dreaded red number has shown up again and I need to fix it.

tetris2player16.bas.bin

tetris2player16.bas

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

Red number in debug score gone, however it does display 000000 sometimes. While I was working on it, it displayed 000000, but in red instead of white. Is there a difference between red and white when the number is at 0?

It's great but i noticed a bug in the blocks, They tend to repeat,

for example here's the pattern i got

Upside Down T-Block

Square Block

Square Block

Square Block

Square Block

Square Block

L-Block

Line

I noticed that too. I tried putting in something like "z=rand16" but just got different patterns like that. It also likes to repeat those square blocks for some reason (just like the Game Boy version). Just so you know, the blocks that are falling are supposed to be random.