IGNORED

Score! New In Box 1200XL! (pic)

Scream And Fly

BTW, i'm unfamiliar with the extra LED's (L1, L2). What are these for?

They are for status leds.

Led1 is for keyboard disable on (Ctl F1) and the 2nd is for international charactor set on (Ctl F4).

The same code is used in the XL/XE but atari didn't add the keys or the leds.

The 2 Leds are controlled from PortB.

Thanks. I actually downloaded the manual to find out, since no one responded very quickly. They actually added some nice extra features to this machine. I particularly like the ability to turn off Antic via keystroke. Was this possible on the other machines by any means using key combinations? The only way I knew of was poking "559" with "0" directly in a program.

BTW, i'm unfamiliar with the extra LED's (L1, L2). What are these for?

They are for status leds.

Led1 is for keyboard disable on (Ctl F1) and the 2nd is for international charactor set on (Ctl F4).

The same code is used in the XL/XE but atari didn't add the keys or the leds.

The 2 Leds are controlled from PortB.

Thanks. I actually downloaded the manual to find out, since no one responded very quickly. They actually added some nice extra features to this machine. I particularly like the ability to turn off Antic via keystroke. Was this possible on the other machines by any means using key combinations? The only way I knew of was poking "559" with "0" directly in a program.

None that I know of.

If you are ok with pulling the XE/XE apart and with soldering 4 wires, you can make 4 push buttons work as the function keys. Of course, installing any os upgrade you will loose the function keys (as far as i am aware).

Drilling holes in my top case to fit four buttons isn't what I would do.

I used to know which positions on the keyboard connector to use, but it has been many years and my memory is somewhat fading.

James

Congrats! I just picked up my 9th 1200xl to hack into a pc. IMO, the 1200xl is the best looking piece piece of hardware ever created, hands down. About half of my 1200s have pretty decent video and the other half needed the clearpic mod. Since this one is brand new, I'd leave it alone unless you really can't stand the fuzziness. One thing you probably should do, however, is add the +5v to the sio connector. It's an easy one-wire operation.

Thanks everyone, I'm psyched. The 1200XL is my favorite Atari machine. I thought about keeping it as part of my collection, but how could I enjoy it unless I use it? I'm a basic user, so I don't need RAM upgrades or multi-OS mods. I'll try it as-is first, but if the video is poor, I may have it modded for better video. Can this thing do RGB?

2nqbdqf.jpg

Would it be possible to use this photograph or part thereof on an Atari-related web-page I'm planning to put together? It's already my Mac OS X wallpaper, and very nice it looks too!

Thanks everyone, I'm psyched. The 1200XL is my favorite Atari machine. I thought about keeping it as part of my collection, but how could I enjoy it unless I use it? I'm a basic user, so I don't need RAM upgrades or multi-OS mods. I'll try it as-is first, but if the video is poor, I may have it modded for better video. Can this thing do RGB?

2nqbdqf.jpg

Would it be possible to use this photograph or part thereof on an Atari-related web-page I'm planning to put together? It's already my Mac OS X wallpaper, and very nice it looks too!

I did the same thing. :) What a great picture.

Allan

Do you have other new Atari computers?

Could you take the same picture?

Thanks guys, that was just a quick pic. Philsan, I have the following machines, new in the box:

Atari 400

Atari 600XL

Atari 800XL

Atari 65XE

Atari 130XE

Atari 1200XL

Atari XE Game System

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Well, break out your camera and get to work. :D

Scream and fly, you have an awesome collection and you are a good photographer.

When you'll have time, I think it's important that you take good quality pictures of your new computers.

Even Atari dedicated websites or Wikipedia have poor quality photos.

I think our beloved computer's design deserves to be keeped for the future.

Scream and fly, you have an awesome collection and you are a good photographer.

When you'll have time, I think it's important that you take good quality pictures of your new computers.

Even Atari dedicated websites or Wikipedia have poor quality photos.

I think our beloved computer's design deserves to be keeped for the future.

Agree 100%. I would love to see some of these sites use quality pictues of non-yellowed systems.

Actually I need to say something, that I thought of yesterday when I was reading the topic.

I don't mean to bring a downer on things, but I've noticed in the picture where it's in the bag, that the silver keys are crooked, I'm sure that can only happen from wear and tear, which leads me to thinking is it really brand new and unused?

But then again in the close up picture, the keys look really straight.

Edited by Ross PK

Actually I need to say something, that I thought of yesterday when I was reading the topic.

I don't mean to bring a downer on things, but I've noticed in the picture where it's in the bag, that the silver keys are crooked, I'm sure that can only happen from wear and tear, which leads me to thinking is it really brand new and unused?

Your wrong about that... The "crooked" appearance of the keys is apparent even on brand new machines, and its because of the "looseness" of the keyplunger design.. The normal keys have edges that are recessed down below whats obviously visible, so you dont get the noticeable visual effect.. The function keys, however are perfectly flat, SILVER (which has a very high respective contrast) and the edges are very visible... look at any XL machine.. If you dont notice slight apparent "crookedness" in the function keys, its merely by chance.. Certainly some machines exhibit this better than others, but its not necessarily due to wear. It has much more to do with the fact that ATARIs werent manufactured to "lexus" quality standards (remember the "ballbearing test" commercial?)

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Your wrong about that... The "crooked" appearance of the keys is apparent even on brand new machines, and its because of the "looseness" of the keyplunger design.. The normal keys have edges that are recessed down below whats obviously visible, so you dont get the noticeable visual effect.. The function keys, however are perfectly flat, SILVER (which has a very high respective contrast) and the edges are very visible... look at any XL machine.. If you dont notice slight apparent "crookedness" in the function keys, its merely by chance.. Certainly some machines exhibit this better than others, but its not necessarily due to wear.

It's just that I remember my 800XL back in the day had silver keys that looked pretty much straight, I've seen others on the net that still look like that. Where's the key's on the 800XL that I have now look quite crooked, I just thought it must be down to wear and tear.

Edited by Ross PK

I'll tell you what IS an good indicator of wear... If you look at the surface of the dark brown plastic around the front edges of the keyboard area, prolonged use causes a "flattening" or "smoothing" of the texture here.. Also, the surface of the silver function keys is "brushed" metal.. The texture of this "brushed" surface can (and often is) worn to a degree over time on keys like reset and option that are used ALOT..

If you look at his close-up picture, the surface of all his function keys shows a prestine, unspoiled "brushed" finish... I think its the real deal... Or at the very least, put together from a new-old-stock keyboard & top case half that someone managed to dig up..

look at any XL machine.. If you dont notice slight apparent "crookedness" in the function keys, its merely by chance.. Certainly some machines exhibit this better than others, but its not necessarily due to wear.

Agreed. I've seen several new XL machines and none of them had 100% perfect alignment in those keys. The design just has somewhat inherently loose tolerances.

Thanks everyone. Metalguy is correct - this machine was never used. Further, the 1200XL badge still has the protective plastic on it, which is visible in the photo if you look at the edge of the metal. Will I use this? I want to - I haven't yet though. Maybe I'll try to find a nice used machine to mod instead.

I'll set up my studio gear and photograph all my machines if you all want. I'll do it this week and set up a gallery where you can download all the images :)

Here's a quick snapshot of the top keys (just used a crappy point and shoot camera)

1zlre9s.jpg

Edited by Scream And Fly