IGNORED

Score! New In Box 1200XL! (pic)

Scream And Fly

I'll set up my studio gear and photograph all my machines if you all want. I'll do it this week and set up a gallery where you can download all the images :)

That would be really cool... I only have 2 'like-new' machines in my collection - a 1200XL (used a little) and a 600XL (new).

I'll tell you what IS an good indicator of wear... If you look at the surface of the dark brown plastic around the front edges of the keyboard area, prolonged use causes a "flattening" or "smoothing" of the texture here..

Cool, I'll check it out on mine later, and see how it looks.

Also, the surface of the silver function keys is "brushed" metal.. The texture of this "brushed" surface can (and often is) worn to a degree over time on keys like reset and option that are used ALOT..

If you look at his close-up picture, the surface of all his function keys shows a prestine, unspoiled "brushed" finish... I think its the real deal... Or at the very least, put together from a new-old-stock keyboard & top case half that someone managed to dig up..

That's if the clear plastic has been removed from them, or maybe it wasn't put on the machines in America. On my 800XL it still has clear plastic over all of the brushed metal keys and the cartridge doors, it was over the badge as well, but I pulled it off since the corner of it was peeling.

Thanks everyone. Metalguy is correct - this machine was never used. Further, the 1200XL badge still has the protective plastic on it, which is visible in the photo if you look at the edge of the metal. Will I use this? I want to - I haven't yet though. Maybe I'll try to find a nice used machine to mod instead.

I'll set up my studio gear and photograph all my machines if you all want. I'll do it this week and set up a gallery where you can download all the images :)

Here's a quick snapshot of the top keys (just used a crappy point and shoot camera)

1zlre9s.jpg

They do look straight there, and in the close up picture. But did you straighten them? Because in the first picture they do look really crooked. But crooked in a different way then mine, mainly like some are lower and some are more raised.

Mine are more like they're turned at differnet angles.

post-7172-1229728681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ross PK

Finally scored a new-in-box 1200XL! Been looking for one of these for a long time!

Dare I ask how much it set ya back? Not easy to find one of those! Congrats!

I was bidding on an original 400 new in the box, box mint, plastic still wrapped and factory-tied cords - on Ebay a couple months back, and it was $50 or so, then got up to be about $100 with 10 minutes, then got to be over $400 in the last minute.....

I paid $230 for the 1200XL. That's the most I ever paid for an Atari machine.

Did you say a new in box 400? How's this? This one is part of my collection, never used. Just a quick snapshot. I'll do studio pics soon. Oh, and I also have the very rare Atari 48K expansion for this machine too, still sealed :)

2cyl2rc.jpg

1625m2s.jpg

I never touched the keys. The plastic is still on the badge, but never removed. I didn't look closely at the keys on the 1200XL if they had plastic.

Thanks everyone. Metalguy is correct - this machine was never used. Further, the 1200XL badge still has the protective plastic on it, which is visible in the photo if you look at the edge of the metal. Will I use this? I want to - I haven't yet though. Maybe I'll try to find a nice used machine to mod instead.

Here's a quick snapshot of the top keys (just used a crappy point and shoot camera)

1zlre9s.jpg

They do look straight there, and in the close up picture. But did you straighten them? Because in the first picture they do look really crooked. But crooked in a different way then mine, mainly like some are lower and some are more raised.

Mine are more like they're turned at differnet angles.

post-7172-1229728681_thumb.jpg

I used to sell the ATARI 600XL and 800XL back in the day and can say with certainty that the silver keys on them were almost always crooked. Nice looking system looking forward to the pics of the other systems as Philsan said there are not to many good pics out there so thank you for your time and effort in advance you take a great shot. :)

I paid $230 for the 1200XL. That's the most I ever paid for an Atari machine.

Did you say a new in box 400? How's this? This one is part of my collection, never used. Just a quick snapshot. I'll do studio pics soon. Oh, and I also have the very rare Atari 48K expansion for this machine too, still sealed :)

2cyl2rc.jpg

1625m2s.jpg

If you consider how much more than that the 1200XL sold for when it was new, how much more each dollar was worth in 1983, and how completely rare a new-in-the-box machine is now, not a bad deal!!!!

If I hadn't decided to go back to school, I'd be filling rooms with stuff like your collection. I think I'd feel pretty good to have stacks of new-in-the-box Ataris around me. That 400 is awesome. Me wants.

Now open the box and stick your beak in, pull in the 1983 air, hold it, and sit back and laugh!

• 1 year later...
Do you have other new Atari computers?

Could you take the same picture?

Thanks guys, that was just a quick pic. Philsan, I have the following machines, new in the box:

Atari 400

Atari 600XL

Atari 800XL

Atari 65XE

Atari 130XE

Atari 1200XL

Atari XE Game System

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

I could do it, but I would need to pull out my studio lights to really make 'em look nice for wallpapers. icon_smile.gif

Scream and fly, you have an awesome collection and you are a good photographer.

When you'll have time, I think it's important that you take good quality pictures of your new computers.

Even Atari dedicated websites or Wikipedia have poor quality photos.

I think our beloved computer's design deserves to be keeped for the future.

Unfortunately no news...