IGNORED

Red Ring of Death has caught me

cimerians

Mine of course didnt do anything. It just red ringed when I pushed the power button.

Shut it off and said a small prayer and tried it again but bang.....red ringed.

The whole process took about a month for me.

To add about the Micro$haft loyalty.

I'm not loyal to these guys at all if I have a can help it.

They do what they do best, give people what they want. They have stuff that I want.

Yeah they are a bunch of scumbags but what can you do? Just play the damn games on THEIR system.

I never like Sega that much back in the day (I was more of a SNES fan)

but I still bought their systems because I liked some of their games.

Same situation for me here. I dont like Micro$haft but I like the games people make that run on this system.

Naturally I was really pissed they got into the console market but guess what? They figured out what people want........

Are we blinded by love for this system? If you would buy a tv from a brand and it would have broken this many times, i don't think anyone would consider to buy a second tv from the same manufacturer.

Whats the alternative? A PS3? There are more 360 exclusives that I want to play...so I have no real choice ;)

I received my 360 back from repair today...... well, I should say I received "a 360" back from repair today as they substituted a refurb for the console I sent in. I tried the refurb out for 30 min and it seems to work okay and is in good cosmetic shape. I'm somewhat disappointed though, as the console I sent it had a manufacture date of 05-2008 and the console they sent me is dated 02-2007.

Total time to start repair report, wait for coffin, ship it in, wait for repair, and receive a console back was just short of 3 weeks. Overall, a pretty painless experience.

I've read posts from people who haven't had good luck with getting refurb's back from MS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this console lasts awhile.

Mendon

Do I have to do that "transfer license" thing with my new 360?

I mean, all my games are on my removable HD, so I would think there would be no need to do any sort of license transfer. Unless there's some sort of signature left behind on my old console that I don't know about.

Do I have to do that "transfer license" thing with my new 360?

I mean, all my games are on my removable HD, so I would think there would be no need to do any sort of license transfer. Unless there's some sort of signature left behind on my old console that I don't know about.

Yes, you have to re-download the licenses. they are tied to your old console.

than how come i can play the games with no problems?

is transferring the license basically to "complete the deal"?

Define "play the games with no problems?"

Do you mean you can play them off-line not connected to Live?

If so, you don't need to re-download them. The re-downloading is done if you cannot play your downloaded content off-line. (Unplug the internet connection)

It should be mentioned, just because you get back the same unit doesn't mean your bought content will work off-line so check it even if you get back the same unit.

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone that may need to know:

(Thank you to Moycon for the heads up. See Post #47)

- I bought a 120G used hard drive for the 360 before my system crapped out.

- When it crapped out, I sent in the unit with the original drive not the 120G.

- I received a (different but same model) replacement system from them.

- Re-attached my 120G and was set to go as long as I was online and signed in.

Offline, my games did not work.

Online, my games did work.

Need to go here to transfer your licenses to the "new" unit.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...censemigration/

Then have fun redownloading every single download you have ever made that has a license attached to it.

Mine was about 170.

Thats 170 clicks of that "download again?" button.

:|

Edited by cimerians

You're really not supposed to send them any HD when you send them the unit unless they asked you to...did they ask you?

In any case. In the past they are supposed to tie the licenses to the new unit before they send it back. You should only have to re-download the stuff (Don't even delete it, just download again, it must need a tag in the beginning of the data because it downloads for a couple seconds and then says complete and moves on to the next one. One good thing is they used to cap the downloads at like 8, now I think it's 25 or 30.

If you had to manually tie the licenses that is fine, but remember you can only do it yourself once a year. If you need to do it again you'll have to call them and be forewarned it takes them a couple days (they tell you like 5 days but it took me like 24 hours.) Why does it take 24 hours? I have no freakin clue. The good news is you only really need to do that to play the stuff off-line. Something that is GREAT to have but that I personally don't use often. Just when the DSL drops or Live goes down.

You're really not supposed to send them any HD when you send them the unit unless they asked you to...did they ask you?

In any case. In the past they are supposed to tie the licenses to the new unit before they send it back. You should only have to re-download the stuff (Don't even delete it, just download again, it must need a tag in the beginning of the data because it downloads for a couple seconds and then says complete and moves on to the next one. One good thing is they used to cap the downloads at like 8, now I think it's 25 or 30.

If you had to manually tie the licenses that is fine, but remember you can only do it yourself once a year. If you need to do it again you'll have to call them and be forewarned it takes them a couple days (they tell you like 5 days but it took me like 24 hours.) Why does it take 24 hours? I have no freakin clue. The good news is you only really need to do that to play the stuff off-line. Something that is GREAT to have but that I personally don't use often. Just when the DSL drops or Live goes down.

Yeah I forgot no hard-drive was sent.

Thanks again for catching that. I'm typing faster than I can think.

For some reason, they didnt tie my licenses to the new machine they sent me cause I tried re-downloading the games before I did anything else...........then I pulled my LAN cable from the back of the 360. Turned it on and the games I redownloaded all said "Play Trial Game"

Thats when I was like WTF.

Called them up and they said, sorry but you need to xfer your licenses and you can do this once a year.

Oh well. I'm back up and running. Normally I wouldnt care but if my DSL went out I would still want to play Puzzle Quest. :P

Yeah when my 360 went down to RRoD,I had to use the license transfer to tie it back into my system when I got it back.It was weird,I had the same serial #,but it was listed as 2 separate id numbers on the site.They must have put different guts into it.All I know is if I decide to get a new 360 this year,they better not hold the once a year license transfer against me.They should have transferred the stuff at the repair factory :ponder:

I finally got an afternoon off and I sat down to enjoy Fallout 3 and the game froze up, which happens every once in awhile for that game. Hit the power button, and unfortunately got the RROD! I bought it off ebay over a year ago and the serial number is tied to the original owner, so MS won't fix mine. Guess I need to fix it on my own. I found a cheap kit with everything on ebay for like $20. Anyone repaired this on here?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen. My brother received the RROD a couple weeks ago. We *think* he had a Falcon based system but it had the power supply marked like older systems so we weren't 100% sure. I just hope he gets a replacement that permanently fixes the problem.

I bought the system for him just over a year ago and he played it non-stop.

He'll get the replacement tomorrow.