IGNORED

MA65 Macro Assembler for SpartaDOS with XEDIT

flashjazzcat

@flashjazzcat, how far along did you get with the modifications and fixes listed in this thread?

I thought you had pages on the site for this at one time but I didn't see them looking about today.

I know it's a diversion but could you scan through and knock it out... I personally let the whole thing slip my mind as many things have lately....

I had someone refer me back to my own answers here on AA recently and I see you have too! Crazy huh?

In any event the latest fixes and then posting of that incarnation would be appreciated.

Your understanding of SpartaDos has leaped light years and might be in danger of being forgotten if not moved upon before your brain pushes it completely off the stack! :)

@flashjazzcat, how far along did you get with the modifications and fixes listed in this thread?

I thought you had pages on the site for this at one time but I didn't see them looking about today.

I know it's a diversion but could you scan through and knock it out... I personally let the whole thing slip my mind as many things have lately....

I had someone refer me back to my own answers here on AA recently and I see you have too! Crazy huh?

In any event the latest fixes and then posting of that incarnation would be appreciated.

Your understanding of SpartaDos has leaped light years and might be in danger of being forgotten if not moved upon before your brain pushes it completely off the stack! :)

I'm not sure if I did much at all, since attention was diverted to The Last Word after I joined the forum. I did originally have all this stuff on my website but I perhaps mistakenly thought that interest was low so it basically fell off when I revised the site. I can't even remember where the sources are now (MA65 can compile itself, though), so I'd better dig the floppies out and transfer them to an ATR again. I know what you mean about "pushing it off the stack". I'll allocate some time to it this week. ;)

• Like 1

I did some tracing and this is what I found. While MA65 is running, there is a point where it disables the OS ROM and does a JSR $FFC0 and at FFC0 is a JMP $0F03. I dont' know what this part of the code does. When I run LW, it changes the code in the RAM under the OS. Then when I run MA65 and it gets to $FFC0, the code is not valid and it goes int la la land.

• Like 2

I did some tracing and this is what I found. While MA65 is running, there is a point where it disables the OS ROM and does a JSR $FFC0 and at FFC0 is a JMP $0F03. I dont' know what this part of the code does. When I run LW, it changes the code in the RAM under the OS. Then when I run MA65 and it gets to $FFC0, the code is not valid and it goes int la la land.

Nice work! I know what the problem is, then. It's an SDX vector under the OS ROM which isn't guaranteed to be there (i.e. software using the Shadow RAM destroys it). I definitely need to find the source code and fix this. Thanks!

Nice work! I know what the problem is, then. It's an SDX vector under the OS ROM which isn't guaranteed to be there (i.e. software using the Shadow RAM destroys it). I definitely need to find the source code and fix this. Thanks!

No problem. And thank you for the excellent Atari tools. :)

• Like 1

I was able to do a quick and dirty fix of the program with my trusty hex editor. I replaced the old vector with the correct SDX vector, I_GETTD, and edited out the code that toggles the OS ROM. Works great now. :)

Brilliant. Meanwhile, I set up the XF551 with RespeQt in an effort to pull the source code off the old floppy only to find most of the files were corrupt or unreadable. Then I found the ATR I'd made years ago with the source code on it... which I then realised I'd already uploaded in post #1 of this thread. :D

Anyway - I'll take another look at it, since it could be more robust in places and it would be nice to take advantage of the newer SDX features.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2008 at 9:49 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Excellent. For those of us thinking of buying the Fast Assembler - can we expect English documentation? In the meantime, I'd still like to understand the SpartaDOS X relocatable file format and incorporate the means to create same in the freeware MA65 assembler.

Fast Assembler is Public Domain. I wrote to the author.

I translated the documentation, disassembled it and did some fixes:

https://github.com/HolgerJanz/FastAssembler

Disassembling still contains some technical labels.

Fast Assembler now is able to assemble itself.

I will further work on it to improve the source.

• Like 5