IGNORED

Atari Icons

Ganky Ghost

I've searched the Internet high and low for an icon to use with my atari800 emulator and am greatly disappointed. Seems decent icons for Atari emulators are rarer than... I dunno, something that's really rare. Anyone know where a nice pile of attractive Atari icons may be hiding on the INTERNET?

I've searched the Internet high and low for an icon to use with my atari800 emulator and am greatly disappointed. Seems decent icons for Atari emulators are rarer than... I dunno, something that's really rare. Anyone know where a nice pile of attractive Atari icons may be hiding on the INTERNET?

I'll post the one I'm using when I get home this evening.

Here's one I use.

That one won't work so well on my desktop because of the black background, but thanks just the same. Do you have that icon without the black background? (Yeah, I know that I could try to remove the black background myself but graphics apps aren't my forte. I'd just end up making the fuji look really crappy.)

Don't know how good this is but here you go.....

post-5808-1229459410.png

I did a quick Google and aparently that was not true..

Where did the three-pronged Atari Logo come from?

Nolan Bushnell.. It was just done by our head of creative as one of the potentials for the new Atari logo. It became known as the Fuji logo because everyone thought that it looked like a symbol for Mt. Fuji. But it was totally an arbitrary graphic

Edited by Tezz

Here's one I use.

That one won't work so well on my desktop because of the black background, but thanks just the same. Do you have that icon without the black background? (Yeah, I know that I could try to remove the black background myself but graphics apps aren't my forte. I'd just end up making the fuji look really crappy.)

I removed the black background and set an alpha channel in it's place (transparent where it used to be black).

...edited...

Never mind. it looks awful against a white background. I'll play with it later.

Edited by frogstar_robot

Here's one I use.

I removed the black background and left transparency in it's place. I also trimmed up the "Atari" a bit as it some of the off white pixels make it look raggy without the high contrast black background.

atari_icon.ico

Edited by frogstar_robot

From Wikipedia:

George Opperman (1935-1985) was a graphic artist at Atari who created the original Atari logo and created the art for Atari's coin-op cabinets [1] and backglass artwork for Atari pinball games, such as Airborne Avenger [2] and Superman.

The Atari symbol was designed by George Opperman in 1972 or 1973[3]. The Atari logo, later described as a "Fuji" (as in Mount Fuji in Japan), looks like the letter "A", and was meant to represent the game Pong, with "two opposing video game players with the center of the Pong court in the middle." [4]

References

1 IGN: Al Alcorn Interview

2 AirBorne Avenger at GameArchive.com

3 "Atari: The Lost Years of the Coin-Op, 1971-1975"

4 AtariAge Atari 2600 FAQ

Edited by Philsan

• 1 month later...
I too don't like this logo.

It's not "real" Atari.

Maybe they were trying to change it just enough to avoid being sent a cease-and-desist letter or a summons?

The Atari800 emulator doesn't come with any Fuji-shaped icons at all, for fear of lawsuits... challenge: how to make an unmistakably Atari-like icon, without using the Fuji logo?

Atari800 does come with an icon that's a stylized drawing of a 130XE, but to me, at normal icon size, it could be the keyboard for any modern off-white PC...