IGNORED

What are your favorite under appreciated nes games?

hooloovoo

Legacy of the Wizard – This is a fun action, puzzle, RPG game. You control five family members on a quest to slay a dragon. It is hard but that is why it drives some players away. If you don’t read the manual it is all most imposable to beat. I’m working on it now but hope to beat it before next month.

Astanax – This game is actually an arcade port but it’s nothing like it. Now it seems hard at first but after you learn how to do spells and get a hang of the controls it doesn’t seem so hard. You’re a boy who is summoned to save the magic land from a evil wizard. Now this doesn’t seem like anything special but it has great music and some of the best cut-scenes I have seen for the nes. I have beaten this game so many times. I would make a comic of what happened after the game but my drawing stinks!

So what are yours?

Ugh. I hate Astyanax. But to each his own. ;)

My favorite underrated NES games...hmmm.

I'll throw out:

Golf

Shadow of the Ninja

Spelunker

Jackal

Guerrilla War

Actually, the overhead view, scrolling shooter is probably the most underrated genre on the NES. The best-known NES game of that type is Ikari Warriors, and it's probably the worst of the bunch - the NES port of it is terrible, as are its awful sequels. But besides Jackal and Guerrilla War, you have Iron Tank, Commando, Heavy Barrel, and Vindicators, all solid, fun shooters.

Amagon... hard, but not impossible game with a neat spin on the standard platform genre. Graphics were very well-done for the time.

Clash at Demonhead... I've been meaning to sit down and just play this whole game all the way through. I play in spurts, and always have a lot of fun... seems like it would be worth dedicating a weekend to.

Ultima IV - Imagine a game where being the good guy means choosing between honor and loyalty, mercy and justice, with genuine consequences...and this is only the opening personality quiz that serves as the character select. No other NES RPG of the era can match it's depth. It's just as possible to choose to murder the people you're sworn to protect, then steal their possessions...

Anything goes, if you can deal with the consequences.

m.u.l.e. forever a classic, and the NES version was a good one.

pirates--another computer classic many forget made it to nes

tombs and treasure. I hadn't heard of this one before I got it as part of a huge lot.

I don't think any of those are especially hard to find, but they get forgotten a lot.

How can you not say Crystalis?! Not to mention I've HEARD it was $70 when it came out....

Here's a BAD emulation, But you can get the idea. The soundtrack is awsome, Graphics to match, And 40+ hours of gameplay.

http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-GO&s=10&l=on

there were plans for crystalis 2 on the neo geo, how badass would that have been?

How can you not say Crystalis?! Not to mention I've HEARD it was $70 when it came out....

Here's a BAD emulation, But you can get the idea. The soundtrack is awsome, Graphics to match, And 40+ hours of gameplay.

http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-GO&s=10&l=on

there were plans for crystalis 2 on the neo geo, how badass would that have been?

Damn...

And the GOOD and TERRIBLE thing is that Nintendo Bought the series and can make a new crystalis whenever.

But the bad thing is Wii is a piece of crap....And I haven't played mine in 6 months because I own a PS2....Which is better....

It would be awsome to see Nintendo sell the series and make it come out on a base of something like Mega Man 9 on all consoles. 8 bit graphics, Sound, And gameplay. I can garuntee if they advertised it good, Zelda would be put down hard.

But look at the GB version. It completely was not a good port at all. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a 2nd one of those...

Man....I'm gona dream of a release like Mega Man 9. If it happens, We will once again have a good Action RPG that's not Zelda or FF.

Edited by GreenDayRlz

Actually, the overhead view, scrolling shooter is probably the most underrated genre on the NES. The best-known NES game of that type is Ikari Warriors, and it's probably the worst of the bunch - the NES port of it is terrible, as are its awful sequels. But besides Jackal and Guerrilla War, you have Iron Tank, Commando, Heavy Barrel, and Vindicators, all solid, fun shooters.

Heavy Barrel is the best overhead shooter for the NES. That game kicks ass!!

Heavy Barrel is the best overhead shooter for the NES. That game kicks ass!!

Forgot about that one! I played it and it is :)

I do also think MC kids need WAY more then it got, Good Graphics, Bright Colors, and decent gameplay for a dollar menu game.

Legacy of the Wizard – This is a fun action, puzzle, RPG game. You control five family members on a quest to slay a dragon. It is hard but that is why it drives some players away. If you don’t read the manual it is all most imposable to beat. I’m working on it now but hope to beat it before next month.

Astanax – This game is actually an arcade port but it’s nothing like it. Now it seems hard at first but after you learn how to do spells and get a hang of the controls it doesn’t seem so hard. You’re a boy who is summoned to save the magic land from a evil wizard. Now this doesn’t seem like anything special but it has great music and some of the best cut-scenes I have seen for the nes. I have beaten this game so many times. I would make a comic of what happened after the game but my drawing stinks!

So what are yours?

I loved Astyanax when I was younger and looking for other games similar to Castlevania. Tried it recently and it's almost unplayable. Amazing what I was willing to put up with years ago. I find this alot with NES games more than any other console.

For me, I will submit Journey To Silius, and Time Lord. Both decent, hard side scrollers.

Ugh. I hate Astyanax. But to each his own. ;)

I don't think any of those games are underrated, I mean those are all arcade games everyone wanted. They were pretty popular games and are still very easy to find used, a symbol of their popularity. Everybody loves Jackal man :)