IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

Just trying to recap here as some of these were mentioned,

These disn't exist as releases back in the day when they were popular:

Mad Planets

Quantum

Major Havoc

I Robot

Zookeeper

Domino Man

Timber

The Glob

Asteroids Deluxe

Black Widow

Space Duel

Make Trax

Lunar Lander

Red Baron

Championship Sprint (should be mentioned that super sprint came out on the NES but not the sequel)

Deathrace?

Questionable:

Chiller (may have been available on c64 as a disk) :?:

Peter Packrat (was on cassette for C64 bit but sadly was never on a cart of any sort) :x

Aliens Vs Predator. The Capcom scrolling beat 'em up. (This came out for Jaguar didn't it?)

Black Tiger came out on C64 but I don't think it was in cart format, only floppy.

Star Castle came out on vectrex.

Cadilacs and Dinosaurs did come out on the Sega CD or Saturn or both.

I also want to mention that there are 1000's of arcade games that simply sucked to bad to be released on a home console. The spirit of the question to me was:

"WHAT ARCADE GAMES SHOULD HAVE MADE IT TO HOME CONSOLES THAT DIDN'T?"

This has been discussed many times before.

Edited by MattG/Snyper2099

These disn't exist as releases back in the day when they were popular:

Chiller (may have been available on c64 as a disk) :?:

Chiller was released for the NES. I think Death Race may have been also.

One game I don't think will ever be ported is Baby Pacman since it was an arcade/pinball combo!

Of course, I'd prefer a 24 year old, but I also "prefer" a Lamborghini, yet drive a Sable. :cool:

Don't let your woman read that; she might read too much into it! HA HA HA

Sorta like why guns are better than women: Because you can trade in your old 44 in for a new 22! :) :D :cool:

<runs and hides>

I'll trade you a 22 for a 44 any day.

The girl or the gun? :D

Both. Each one means serious business; not just playing games. ;)

One game I don't think will ever be ported is Baby Pacman since it was an arcade/pinball combo!

It's possible on today's consoles, but it probably still won't happen. Baby Pac-Man is stuck in Legal Limbo Land.

In case you don't know the story, Namco once relied on American game companies to market their games in the U.S. Midway got Pac-Man. Midway soon wanted sequels to take full advantage of Pac-Man's popularity, but Namco was slow in delivering them. Midway decided to publish their own sequels, starting with a Pac-Man hack that was presented to them by outside developers. Originally the hack was called Crazy Otto, but after a few tweaks it became Ms. Pac-Man. Other Midway sequels, like Baby Pac-Man, followed, all unauthorized by Namco.

Namco eventually cried foul, and after the dust settled, Midway agreed to give Namco full rights to Ms. Pac-Man in exchange for not being sued. Midway kept the code for all their other sequels, however, and the two companies haven't really spoken on the matter since.

This is also why there has never been an official port of Pac-Man Plus, even though the homebrewers have been having a field day with it.

How about 1976's Fonz?

fonz1.jpg

Somewhere in storage I have a ca. 1980 technical publcation on video games. It covers the Atari 2600 (with very minimal details), the Fairchild Channel F, and some other contemporyconsoles.

There is also a chaper on The Fonz arcade game. If memory serves, there was some mechanical component to it as well; it was not entirely electronic. This would probably preclude its being released as part of a compilation (or in MAME).

Edited by jhd

Mario Kart Arcade (I still want to race as Pac-Man!)

Boon-ga Boon-ga (Could you imagine a port of this?!)

My friends' six-year-old son had the same reaction when he played Mario Kart Wii for the first time... "Can I be Pac-Man in this one? No? Why not?"

And a port of Boon-ga Boon-ga would require a special controller. One that I don't think could ever be used for any other games.

I'd love to walk into a Gamestop and ask for that controller, though. In all seriousness, considering that Nintendo has no licensing rules anymore for the Wii, I'm surprised that no one has tried to port it. Really, you'd just need a plastic butt and an attachment for the Wii Remote.

Aliens Vs Predator. The Capcom scrolling beat 'em up. (This came out for Jaguar didn't it?)

Nope, the Jaguar AVP is a 3D-Shooter, it's more like Alien Trilogy for the PSX/SAT.

But there was a side scrolling AVP beat 'em up released on the SNES.

That SNES version is quite a bit different, isn't it?

The Aliens side scrolling arcade beat 'em up was never on home consoles, right?

I still wish Konami's X-Men beat 'em up would show up on Xbox Live. Maybe with the new Wolverine movie coming out, but I doubt it.

Hi guys,

The Simpsons by Konami. That was a arcade exclusive as well. I'm still waiting for them to release a port from them. But Konami has the tenancy to add a pinch here, and a dash there in there arcade ports. Or removing certain parts or bosses in a game (TMNT IV *hint,hint*)

Anthony....

I know it's not console, but wasn't there a PC version of The Simpsons arcade game at one point? Maybe it was in production, but later got canned?

Nope, the Jaguar AVP is a 3D-Shooter, it's more like Alien Trilogy for the PSX/SAT.

Yep, the SNES AVP is different from the Arcade Version and it sucks ass!

I haven't heard of that Aliens beat 'em up before, have to check it out in MAME.

Yep, the SNES AVP is different from the Arcade Version and it sucks ass!

I haven't heard of that Aliens beat 'em up before, have to check it out in MAME.

I guess it's more of a side scrolling shoot 'em up, but you get what I mean. It's from Konami, also. I don't recall if I ever played through it completely, but I recall it being pretty decent.

Okay... Bagman... wow... I haven't played that in years... what a great game that deserves a port to the Colecovision!!

Another game I thought of was one I played at a fair years ago... it was called Demolition Derby (I think..) you are in an arena and drive in a demolition derby (of course). I suppose the title could be something else but it was pretty cool.

Last one is a great game that ALMOST made it out on the NES... Speed Rumbler! That game has been released in the Capcom collection but I saw an ad in a Capcom game manual for the NES but alas... it never did get released.

How about 1976's Fonz?

fonz1.jpg

Somewhere in storage I have a ca. 1980 technical publcation on video games. It covers the Atari 2600 (with very minimal details), the Fairchild Channel F, and some other contemporyconsoles.

There is also a chaper on The Fonz arcade game. If memory serves, there was some mechanical component to it as well; it was not entirely electronic. This would probably preclude its being released as part of a compilation (or in MAME).

So it was a hybrid? Sega was still making electro-mechanical games in 1976? :?:

Hi guys,

The Simpsons by Konami.

I know it's not console, but wasn't there a PC version of The Simpsons arcade game at one point? Maybe it was in production, but later got canned?

The PC and even the Commodore 64 got official ports of the Simpsons arcade game. The C-64 version isn't half bad, either, probably the best Double Dragon-esque game to come out for that system, in my humble opinion.

Just trying to recap here as some of these were mentioned,

Cadilacs and Dinosaurs did come out on the Sega CD or Saturn or both.

Aside from the license, the Sega CD version had nothing to do with the arcade release. One was a FMV game made by Rocket Science, the other was a kickass beat 'em up by Capcom. So the arcade version stands as never having been ported. Both were based on a great comic book.

Edited by jesusc

Death Race

My knowledge of older arcade games is severely limited, but a game called Death Race was made for NES. It could be a different game under the same name though.

The origanal was 1976 and the first ever contraversial video game (running over "sticks" that looked like humans). Not the same game.

Death Race

My knowledge of older arcade games is severely limited, but a game called Death Race was made for NES. It could be a different game under the same name though.

The origanal was 1976 and the first ever contraversial video game (running over "sticks" that looked like humans). Not the same game.

Sounds like an upgraded version then. It was one of the few NES games I played (I was a SMS owner, friend had the NES), and you could run people over in this one as well.

A Lot of the Sega 3D games from the 90s never got home releases...

Harley Davidson

Star Wars Trilogy

Lost World

Rail Chase 2

etc...

Why Sega never brought any of these out for the Dreamcast I'll never know, but I remember buying a DC thinking they would SURELY port these over.. but alas... could be part of the reason it failed.

Edited by FeistyGirl

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about these games when I read this thread..

Pac-Man Plus

Baby Pac-Man

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Mr.Do's Wild Ride

Goonies 1

T-Mek

Sonic the Fighters

(according to wikipedia about Sonic the Fighters:"The game was once planned for release on the Sega Saturn, but was cancelled for that console.") :(

Edited by lushgirl_80