IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

Really?! I guess I better not delete it off my HDD! Thanks!

No worries there, since you're free to redownload it at will.

Delisting refers to it being made unavailable for purchase. So someone such as myself that doesn't own it can't log-in right now to PSN and buy it. But it's tied to your account and free to redownload as long as PSN support for the PS3 continues.

I don't skip many classic arcade games, but I passed over this one and the similar X-Men (Also now delisted on XBLA/PSN due to its license expiring). Just don't care for the IP that they're based on. But it's strong evidence why someone that's willing to download classic games on modern consoles shouldn't drag their feet when a licensed based property appears.

You never know when something like Sega's Daytona license is set to expire. No guarantee that the publisher will provide advance warning of delisting. So I've tried not to drag my feet on games like that, Sega Rally Online Arcade, the Tron arcade games, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

X-Men is in the exact same situation as its Konami stablemate that was just discussed. Was available on XBLA/PSN for their respective last-gen platforms and is now delisted due to the expiration of licenses.

Not sure if it's emulation or a port, but if you include modern consoles for consideration on this topic and not just platforms available when it was a new release to the arcade, it did make it officially home in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Scooter Shooter !!!!!

Imo this would've been a great game on NES!

It has all the right elements... Classic Konami soundtrack, interesting gameplay, decent graphics...

Plus I really love the level where you go face to face with the CPU or player 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a maniac fan of Atari X/O football (I have 2-2 player cabs and 1-4 player cab and the Namco update) I would love to see this ported to the 5200. Head to Head with dual trackballs would be rockin!

I used to love this game back in college:

1) set down beer

2) play for 3 minutes

3) pause for quick drink of beer

4) drop another quarter in for 3 more minutes...

Love those huge trackballs (even though you can get part of your palm sucked in and pinched if you're not careful)!

I think the Vectrex foot ball game might be an unauthorized conversion of it (but, alas, no trackball, so I've never played it much and can't really comment on how fun it is).

• 2 weeks later...

Cool thread. There are at least four coin-ops I played back in the day that I don't think got ports:

Kaos (my favorite back then, thankfully I have my own cab now!)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242123362.png

Thief (haven't seen one of these cabs for 30 years, would love to see one again!)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242182294.png

Naughty Boy (an odd game but I like it)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242139214.png

Gimme a Break (not surprised it never got ported, it requires a trackball and is decent fun for 1-2 games at the arcade but wouldn't hold up to repeated plays at home)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124212015.png

Did Astro Blaster ever get an official port? If memory serves Megamania is pretty similar but not exactly the same.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242049123.png

Astro Blaster was emulated for its sole official home release, which was when it appeared as an unlockable bonus game in Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP.

So it sort of counts and it sort of doesn't, depending on your take on home arcade emulation in relation to this topic.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Highly unlikely "Frisky Tom" ever got a console release.

It was ported to the 5200 in 83 but never released. The rom for it have been available for a few years though. It was released for the Gameboy, in Japan, in 95.

post-10357-0-92713300-1453727820_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention it's also one of the three games on the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics cart for the Super Famicom and was released, again only in Japan, on the PS1.

Edited by darthkur
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It was ported to the 5200 in 83 but never released. The rom for it have been available for a few years though. It was released for the Gameboy, in Japan, in 95.

attachicon.gifFrisky Tom gameboy.JPG

Forgot to mention it's also one of the three games on the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics cart for the Super Famicom and was released, again only in Japan, on the PS1.

Thanks for the info, never knew that!

• Like 1