IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

• 5 months later...

Not out to correct anyone since some haven't been including such releases, but if it's of potential use to someone, emulated versions of at least two of these recently mentioned games are officially playable on consoles.

The Simpsons was available for a time on the PS3 and 360 (I believe it's now delisted and unavailable to purchase). And Space Invaders '95 is on Taito Legends 2 (Xbox/PS2) and Taito Memories Gekan (PS2).

They're not the console conversions that people wanted back in the day, but it certainly eases the pain. :)

Edited by Atariboy

It wasn't just Play Choice 10. There was the Vs. System version of Goonies that I mentioned a few posts back in this thread, as well (this is the version I played at a Chuckie Cheese's). Vs. system games were NES/Famicom games ported to arcade (as far as I can tell anyway, date info on the net is misleading), but in some cases, the Vs. System versions differed from their NES counterparts. I like how they lack the annoying timed credit system of PC10 and had a more traditional non timed credit system.

It would be nice if some of those Vs. System games were ported, even if they are (as far as I know) technically ports. Duck Hunt had a nice bonus round where you could shoot the dog, Ice Climber (from what I heard) has more stages, Excitebike has more tracks and music (though this one was ported to FDS in Japan), and SMB was like a remix of SMB1 and SMB2j with harder versions of SMB1 levels.

The Vs. System arcade games were not ports from Famicom/NES games, they were just official ROM hacks of Famicom/NES games. Porting means to rewrite the game code for a different computer platform. The Vs. System platform was the same as the Famicom/NES platform, so the game code didn't need to be rewritten.

Did anyone mention Punch Out? The nes game is quite a bit different to the point where I don't know if it qualifies as a 'port'..

I was going to mention Punch-Out!!, given that the NES game (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!) was a sequel or a "reimagining", not a port. Super Punch-Out!! for the SNES might be considered a port of the arcade Super Punch-Out!!, though it has mostly different opponents. I think of it more as a remake than a port, given that the SNES hardware was plenty capable of a more or less perfect port, but they chose to add a bunch of different and new fighters, and enhance the graphics as well. At least the fundamentals were the same as the arcade though, unlike MTPO, i.e., only 1 round per opponent, a KO meter instead of stars, no hearts, no pulling down to block up, and no Doc Louis.

Wii Punch-Out!! is a remake of the NES version.

I would love to see a true port of either PO or SPO on a console. The SNES would be the best console for it in my opinion, since it has more than enough power for a ~perfect port, it is the last of the classic 2D, cartridge-based consoles, and it was made by the same company that made the arcade games. If someone wanted to go all out, it is probably even possible to make some custom hardware to link a pair of SNES consoles together (perhaps by making use of the SNES's "EXT" expansion port) so that you could optionally have a dual display setup like the arcade machines had. It might not even be necessary to have a second SNES to accomplish this, i.e., the custom hardware could perhaps just have its own video output for the second display rather than passing through to a second SNES's video output.

Alternatively, maybe it could be done properly on the NES today, such as by putting all of the extra hardware needed for the job on the cartridge in FPGA form. One advantage to using the NES over the SNES is that the NES has a 2A03 CPU, which is what the arcade versions used for one of its sound chips. That would ensure that the music and most of the sound effects would be perfect, because the arcade code could be used.

Edited by MaximRecoil

A big regret from all fans of the most famous Gauls of history :

Asterix was released in 1992 by Capcom on arcade, and sadly, never made it into any home port yet (and unless it is now included as a virtual console/arcade collection of sort, it's still not available)

It has everything you can wish for - faith and respect for the original comic, good music, colorful stages, vivid action, different locations following the various adventures of Asterix, etc.

A true gem in it's own genre.

arcade-asterix-4.png

Even the stage screens feature a comic cover-like artwork

arcade-asterix-17.png

Neck grabbing and face slapping. Even with tigers.

arcade-asterix-7.png

Those Romans, they are crazy!

arcade-asterix-14.png

As with the books, the game ends on the banquet, with Cacofonix tied up. Truely faithful.

A lot of my favorite games...

Lets see....

Badlands (laserdisk game)

Round Up 5 Super Delta Force

Crime Fighters 1 & 2 (I played 2 a couple of time not as charming as 1)

Metal Hawk

500 GP

MACH 3 (Laserdisk)

(There's about a dozen or so others locked away in my memory that I can see the game but can't remember the name, which is awful as I like to think of myself as an arcade guy)

Hi guys,

The Simpsons by Konami. That was a arcade exclusive as well. I'm still waiting for them to release a port from them. But Konami has the tenancy to add a pinch here, and a dash there in there arcade ports. Or removing certain parts or bosses in a game (TMNT IV *hint,hint*)

Anthony....

You can get the Simpons Arcade game on the PSN Store - I have it =)