IGNORED

MAME/Arcade HSC?

Deteacher

Arcade/MAME HSC?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a High Score Club for Arcade/MAME games?

• Yes.
    • No.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So, I'm toying around the idea of starting a High Score Club for Arcade games. First, I wanted to get an idea of interest. If there's enough interest and if Albert allows it, I'd try to start it up the first week of January.

Please keep in mind, I've never done anything like this before, so it might be rough around the edges in the beginning.

Feel free to post comments in addition to voting.

To answer both questions, I would say yes to actual arcade game scores, since the ROMs are the same. As for plug-n-play games, I'm not sure. I guess if they are the same ROMs, I guess that would be fine.

Does the Jakks P-N-P games use the same ROM as their arcade counterpart? These are all the questions I'll need to find answers for. :)

Would we be submitting .INP files or just screenshots? I know TG and MARP (or whatever that place is called) requires them.

Either way, I can assure you I wouldn't be cheating.

I'm sure that everybody would be fine with screenshots since all of the other HSC's don't require any kind of screenshot at all. It's more just for fun then anything. If somebody has to cheat to have fun then that sucks for them. I vote that we don't need anything more then a simple screenshot and a persons word for the score to be accepted.

So, I'm toying around the idea of starting a High Score Club for Arcade games. First, I wanted to get an idea of interest. If there's enough interest and if Albert allows it, I'd try to start it up the first week of January.

Please keep in mind, I've never done anything like this before, so it might be rough around the edges in the beginning.

Feel free to post comments in addition to voting.

Real arcade yes, mame no.

Glad to see there's more interest being generated here.

None of the HSC's require screenshots in order for a score to be accepted. I wouldn't require them either. Screenshots are nice to see, though. As for cheating, my philosophy is that since there won't be a prize for winning, there's no point in cheating. :) So, while I won't require them, I think submitting a simple screenshot (MAME) or a digital picture (real machine) would be fine. Besides, if I had a real machine, I'd love to take pics of it to show off said machine. :D

BTW, using cheat commands in MAME will, obviously, not be allowed. ;) I think the honor system works pretty well in the other clubs, so we'll go with that here too.

I can't make this strictly a "real machine only" HSC, though. Not everyone has access to machines at all, let alone access to whatever the specific game of the week is. Besides, emulator play has always been accepted in the other HSC's....so I won't be straying from that course. :)

Keep the votes/questions/input coming! I love it! :)

To answer both questions, I would say yes to actual arcade game scores, since the ROMs are the same. As for plug-n-play games, I'm not sure. I guess if they are the same ROMs, I guess that would be fine.

Does the Jakks P-N-P games use the same ROM as their arcade counterpart? These are all the questions I'll need to find answers for. :)

No clue if they use the same ROM images.... which is why I suggested having a separate HSC for those. Plus, there isn't a very large library of games available for them. Except for April and May, I could moderate a section for the PnP HSC.

Well, I think there's enough interest to get this thing started. Hopefully, as things progress, more people will jump in. During the upcoming week, I'll make plans with "The Powers That Be" to get this up and running. I hope to have Week 1 start right around the 1st of January (seems like a good time to start.) :)

The HSC will be able to be found in the Emulation forum, as was suggested by a moderator. Keep your eyes open for it.

Please, keep the suggestions/input coming. Thanks to all for their input so far. Have a good one!

Just an update for you all:

I've been in touch with Cassidy Nolen, who is helping me get a subforum set up in the Emulation forum. Once that is set up, I will post the rulesheet and the first game of the week and get this thing under way. :)

I guess it wouldn't hurt to start asking for suggestions now. If there's a game you'd like to see in the HSC, send me a PM and I'll generate a list. Feel free to suggest multiple games and I'll fit them into the rotation.

JellE, I might have to take you up on that offer of help. :) I'll warn you all now, it may not look pretty to begin with, but I'll improve on the looks over time. :)

Just another update:

Albert is going to set up the HSC subforum in this forum, rather than the Emulators forum. Once it's up, we'll be under way.

I've only had a few game suggestions so far. Be sure to PM me with your game suggestions and I'll add them to the list. Request as many as you like, but your later picks won't get played until your first pick has been used. :)

This would be a really great HSC!! I'm all for it!! :) The idea of

letting the players vote on the game to be played would be a good one.

Also a patch/award challenge would be cool. Some arcades used to give certificates for high scores.

I've got some from an arcade I used to play at.

Edited by LaserHawk