IGNORED

How many stages in Xybots?

Atarifever

I love this game too! One of the reasons I even wanted a Lynx back in the day (that and Warbirds). My memory is a little fuzzy but I think there's around 100 levels. I'd have to see if I have an old EGM that features the game. Usually they stated number of levels. I think I've made it to 40 or 50-something using warps and that was years ago. I bit it fighting a Master Xybot.

If the programmers could have implemented smooth rotation (like in the arcade version) this would have been an almost perfect port! At least most of the voices were kept intact. Even the music captures the coolness of the arcade. Great game :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I love this game, and am starting to get the warps all figured out, but I'm wondering how many levels there are in total. It seems like it goes on forever. Please tell me there is an end. Thanks.

The game has no more than 54 levels. Make sure you keep the "Slow Energy Loss" powerup maxed up all the time. It's key.

I love this game too! One of the reasons I even wanted a Lynx back in the day (that and Warbirds). My memory is a little fuzzy but I think there's around 100 levels. I'd have to see if I have an old EGM that features the game. Usually they stated number of levels. I think I've made it to 40 or 50-something using warps and that was years ago. I bit it fighting a Master Xybot.

If the programmers could have implemented smooth rotation (like in the arcade version) this would have been an almost perfect port! At least most of the voices were kept intact. Even the music captures the coolness of the arcade. Great game :thumbsup:

It's very true to the Game. I have the standup arcade as well as the lynx version, they did an excellent job on the lynx!

I used to have the Standup, and I have a lynx. Its good to know that the version is that close to the arcade.

Is that the real trick to the game, keep the slow energy loss to max? That explains why I haven't gotten close to the WR on Xybots...

If yoou like it so much why would you want an end?

But yes, slow energy loss is key. About 10 levels in you'll need to keep buying guard mappers, wall mappers & monster mappers. Wandering around an invisible maze sucks.

This game's also on Midway Arcade Treasures 2.

• 11 years later...

I am playing the Xybots rev 2 version in MAME emulator, and I am now in level 626, with no sign of approaching an end. Accidentally, I have landed in a strange level I have never seen before or after somewhere in the mid-300s, before learning the game can be saved in the MAME emulator, and was not able to reproduce the level.

• 1 month later...

I think there were 52 levels or something like that in the Lynx version.  I've beaten it both in single player and in 2-player mode.

Of all the games, this and Gauntlet: Third Encounter were the toughest in terms of endurance.  I usually get bored quickly, and often would make a fatal mistake somewhere along the way.

It would be nice if there were more coins, so I could buy more speed powerups.  But always keep Slow Energy Loss maxed out at 4, and always have Maze Mappers and Enemy Mappers available.  Around Level 8 or so is when you have to start buying Guard Mappers too.